Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Mountain West to gain sixth Bowl in 2020 - Levi's Stadium in play

"Could that possibly open the door for the Mountain West to San Francisco since it’s losing its tie-in with the Las Vegas Bowl?

"As far as the Mountain West, among its options on where to send its champion is the Arizona Bowl, but there could be other possibilities based on what other bowls may change conference affiliations. Also, it could end up in the new Arizona State bowl, if created."

" American champ? The American is exploring the idea of having a bowl that annually hosts its conference champion, when it’s not in a New Year’s 6 game. Although the AAC currently does not have a tie-in with the Liberty, the league is intrigued about the possibility of sending its champion to Memphis, sources said. The Liberty is currently affiliated with the SEC and Big 12.

"What if the Group of 5 designated that the four Group of 5 conference champions that didn’t advance to the New Year’s 6 bowl meet annually in two bowls each year? They could be paired based on highest rankings (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) or geography.  They could involve current bowls that host Group of 5 games such as New Orleans, Gasparilla (Tampa), Mobile, Frisco or Arizona. It would guarantee those two bowls always featured two conference champions

16 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

I doubt it.  The Foster Farms/SF bowl will fold rather than hosting a G5 bowl. 

I am thinking Foster Farms bowl has been in danger of folding for a little while. I think when the next bowl games are signed, I wouldn't be surprised if we see that one fold up.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

I doubt it.  The Foster Farms/SF bowl will fold rather than hosting a G5 bowl. 

CSU played Navy in that bowl one-yr.

The AAC bowl situation is complicated.  AAC stands to lose SEC in BIrmingham Bowl to Vegas Bowl and ACC to proposed Chicago Bowl.  On the other hand, there is a possibility the Liberty Bowl would open up to AAC, where the conference evidently would like to put its conference champ each year. It is probable that SEC and Big 12 will be hard pressed to each provide a bowl eligible team each year for the Liberty Bowl.  It would be nice to have a couple bowls with AAC/MWC match ups.

There's just not much interest in that bowl game.  I've been to the past two games and two years ago utah looked to have brought about 7k maybe, Indiana brought 2-3k tops, and another 4-5k were local thugs with 9er jerseys.

Last year was even worse.  AZ looked like it brought 6k, Purdue 2k, and the locals 4k.

13 minutes ago, Fowl said:

There's just not much interest in that bowl game.  I've been to the past two games and two years ago utah looked to have brought about 7k maybe, Indiana brought 2-3k tops, and another 4-5k were local thugs with 9er jerseys.

Last year was even worse.  AZ looked like it brought 6k, Purdue 2k, and the locals 4k.

Fresno State would bring tons of fans to the Foster Farms Bowl if they were invited, mark my words.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

5 hours ago, Fowl said:

Nevada brought 25-30k fans when we went (granted it was a special year for us). We would easily bring 10k+, so would Fresno. 

7 hours ago, bigd said:

Nevada brought 25-30k fans when we went (granted it was a special year for us). We would easily bring 10k+, so would Fresno. 

About 6 months after the Kraft Bowl, I contacted Gary Cavalli who runs the bowl, and he said we definitely had 30k to 35k, and it was more likely to be in the 33k to 35k range. 

kat.jpg

Per rumors the Pac 12 will be allotted 7 bowl bids. However the conference also enacted a ban on 5-7 APR based bids for it's football teams so the lower tier Pac 12 bowls are likely to include bowl eligible MW teams frequently - imho.

My best guess is that four games will be played against the P5, a Levi's game against the MW will continue the Las Vegas Bowl and the MW will get back up agreements that are used frequent at both the Arizona and Tempe bowl games.

Four games are likely to be regular matchups with a team from one of the other autonomous conferences.There are two, soon to be four, NFL stadiums in the Pacific and Mountain time zones that can host a bowl game:  Uo Phoenix , Levi's Stadium, the Rams/Chargers combo and the Raiders all offer good opportunities for bowl games - except the Fiesta Bowl pre-empts the use of the UoP stadium.  I would guess Las Vegas v. SEC, Los Angeles v. ACC ,  the Alamo Bowl v. the Big 12 and the Holiday Bowl v. Big Ten in SDSU's new stadium.

I think that the Sun Bowl is the game we might drop due to the facility being older than the first four and being a less exciting holiday vacation spot than the other options.  Levi's Stadium v. the MW is probably the fifth game due to the Bay Area not being as desirable a vacation spot as Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles and San Antonio in the winter.  Ideally the MW can get a Big 12 matchup in the Sun Bowl too because that would be the closest to a Border Conference v. Southwest conference matchup I can think of. 

For numbers six and seven, I expect both the Tempe Bowl or the Arizona Bowl will fill the bottom slots.  The MW has demonstrated that hosting a bowl game on your stadium can be a good idea so the Pac 12 is probably stealing this one from the MW in the next go around.  I expect one to be v. an ACC school and the other bowl against a Big 12 school on paper (like the current Cactus Bowl) that usually includes one MW team due to one or both of the other conferences not being able to provide an eligible team.

Arizona is one of the few places where MW fan bases have demonstrated that they generally 'travel well'.  The Fiesta Bowl has gotten good attendance from the MW but that may just be Boise State.   I think that no team from the MW conference being located in Arizona but all being located near the state is close by.  Arizona is more unique and therefore more exciting to a MW fan base than Las Vegas - i presume.

Create a new bowl for our champion in SF's AT&T ballpark.  The city itself will draw fans.  That's where the Foster Farm played before Levi's stadium.  Santa Clara is a cemetery for tourists.

After Cal played at AT&T park for a season while Memorial stadium was reconstructed, the desire for college football games there among bay area fans has been pretty low to non-existent.

Moreover, the Giants no longer have a mortgage to pay so they don't need the marginal revenue that a low tier bowl game would provide like they used to when AT&T first opened.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Giants-pay-off-AT-T-Park-prepare-for-another-10952512.php

Levi's is owned by the 49ers and they run the FF bowl, plus they are seeking to host more events and are already set up for football games.

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

FIFY

Southwest Airlines -  Denver to San Jose.  

^ Someone obviously doesn’t MWCBoard.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

If it involves Colorado State and/or Wyoming I generally don't pay too much attention.

I don't quite understand your concern, but I'm certainly not Boise State packed it's road games in the WAC and so far as I know nothing has changed despite the 19 hour drive. 

This should be a good year for Boise State.  I think the Fiesta Bowl is the 'G5' access bowl game and it has been four years from an appearance so that is almost an automatic Boise game.  Phil Steele agrees BTW - he also says what I thought the case was which is UCLA will finish last in the South next year due to the QB situation.

Unless you are in favor of a bowl game in Texas and i don't read the MW board enough to know that....

10 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I would guess Las Vegas v. SEC, Los Angeles v. ACC ,  the Alamo Bowl v. the Big 12 and the Holiday Bowl v. Big Ten in SDSU's new stadium.

You're delusional if you think SDSU is going to rent out their new stadium to the PAC and B1G for a holiday bowl.  There is no love lost between SDSU and the red coats.

44 minutes ago, Fowl said:

You're delusional if you think SDSU is going to rent out their new stadium to the PAC and B1G for a holiday bowl.  There is no love lost between SDSU and the red coats.

I think Holiday bowl moves to Inglewood stadium 

Related image

14 hours ago, Fowl said:

The Holiday Bowl is it's own entity.  I doubt that SDSU would decline revenue from that game, especially if the Big Ten prefers that game to Levi's (no rumors of the Big Ten ending their relationship as there are with Levi's).  No doubt San Diego is more appealing to both Pac 12 and Big Ten fan's in the winter than the bay area.

I think the ACC will likely get a bowl game versus the Pac 12 in the LA stadium of the Rams/Chargers if the SEC gets a new bowl game against the Pac 12 in Las Vegas.  The Sun Bowl would likely be the game that is no longer aligned with the Pac 12 due to the facility being older than the ones in SD, LA and LV post-2020.

SDSU West could easily host two bowl games if the Holiday bowl stays in San Diego.