Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

If the MWC started a bowl game in Northern California, which location would you prefer?

Northern California: which bowl location would be the best vacation destination?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If the MWC started a bowl game in Northern California, which of the following locations would you prefer?

• San Jose (SJSU's stadium) vs the AAC
    • Fresno (Fresno's stadium) vs the AAC

Guest #1Stunner

The MWC has a tradition of starting bowl games at member schools' stadiums.  Boise, UNLV, UNM, SDSU.   

What about the Northern California schools?  Which location is preferable?

Why not a neutral site location?  Levi’s Stadium, AT&T park? 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Why not a neutral site location?  Levi’s Stadium, AT&T park? 

That could of course be an option...

But I was just going on the MWC tradition of hosting a bowl game at a member schools' stadium.   

Maybe it is much cheaper and easier to start a bowl game at a member schools' stadium???

As some have said, baseball stadiums aren't ideal.  Levi's would be nice.  But the PAC12 currently has it (might change).

Regardless, a Northern California bowl tie would be an easy drivable game for SJSU, Fresno, Nevada, and SDSU.  Maybe also Boise.  So attendance could be good.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That could of course be an option...

But I was just going on the MWC tradition of hosting a bowl game at a member schools' stadium.   

Maybe it is much cheaper and easier to start a bowl game at a member schools' stadium???

As some have said, baseball stadiums aren't ideal.  Levi's would be nice.  But the PAC12 currently has it (might change).

Regardless, a Northern California bowl tie would be an easy drivable game for SJSU, Fresno, Nevada, and SDSU.  Maybe also Boise.  So attendance could be good.

SJSU would need a significant upgrade to their stadium.  A bowl game in the Bay Area would be nice though.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, mugtang said:

SJSU would need a significant upgrade to their stadium.  A bowl game in the Bay Area would be nice though.  

What's wrong with it that they couldn't play a football bowl game there?   It's no Levi's Stadium obviously, but it's not that bad.

SJSU plays 6 home football games there every year.  Seriously, why do you think their stadium is that much worse than any other MWC stadium?

Both SJSU and Fresno have okay stadiums... Both need renovation, but they aren't terrible.

I agree, a bowl game in the Bay area would be a good thing.  It'd probably help BYU out, too (rotation bowl tie).

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What's wrong with it that they couldn't play a foorball bowl game there?   It's no Levi's Stadium obviously, but it's not that bad.

SJSU plays 6 home football games there every year.  Seriously, why do you think their stadium is that much worse than any other MWC stadium?

Both SJSU and Fresno have okay stadiums... Both need renovation, but they aren't terrible.

I agree, a bowl game in the Bay area would be a good thing.  It'd probably help BYU out, too (rotation bowl tie).

Fresno’s stadium is superior to SJSU’s stadium.  SJSU still had wood benches in theirs a couple of years ago.  It may have changed since.  

2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Fresno is NOT Northern California.

That’s probably the most important point. 

Guest #1Stunner
27 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Fresno is NOT Northern California.

Agree.  But it's not technically Southern California, either.

It's 150 miles from Fresno to San Jose.

If the MWC was to consider a bowl tie in Northern California, then Fresno should still be considered.  They are capable of hosting the game.  They did a Raisin Bowl game at one time in the 80s.

Bottom line.  Hair probably can't be expected to find a bowl tie at a stadium that isn't affiliated with a school in the conference (beyond his negotiation capabilities).  Given the MWC tradition of hosting bowl games at the member schools' stadiums, SJSU and Fresno should be considered.  The MWC could use a SINGLE California Bowl tie (currently has zero).

Fresno is like the one major city in California that isn’t considered Nor Cal or So Cal. Even gangbangers gave up trying to decide if they were Norteños or Sureños and made up their own gang.

Guest #1Stunner

Shout out to @renoskier who came up with the idea and suggested the MWC get a bowl tie in California, and specifically Northern California. 

I think its a good idea.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Fresno’s stadium is superior to SJSU’s stadium.  SJSU still had wood benches in theirs a couple of years ago.  It may have changed since.  

It’s too bad Sacramento didn’t get an MLS Franchise.  A bowl game in Sac would be ideal in a top flight soccer stadium.  

Bringing a game back to AT&T park would be awesome. I will predict the Holiday Bowl will relocate to the new Inglewood Stadium sooner or later so San Diego may open again to a Poinsettia rebirth. A MWC champion could always be an alternative in a P5 bowl game 

Related image

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

Problem with Fresno’s Stadium is, it’s in Fresno. As shitty as ours is, at least we’re a destination trip for many. Fresno, not so much. 

If those are the only two options, it has to be San Jose. You want the bowl game to be in at least some sort of destination city. The Bay Area could reasonably be considered such. Fresno? I think it's the opposite of a destination city.

Chico, San Luis Obispo, or Paso Robles. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Agree.  But it's not technically Southern California, either.

It's 150 miles from Fresno to San Jose.

If the MWC was to consider a bowl tie in Northern California, then Fresno should still be considered.  They are capable of hosting the game.  They did a Raisin Bowl game at one time in the 80s.

Bottom line.  Hair probably can't be expected to find a bowl tie at a stadium that isn't affiliated with a school in the conference (beyond his negotiation capabilities).  Given the MWC tradition of hosting bowl games at the member schools' stadiums, SJSU and Fresno should be considered.  The MWC could use a SINGLE California Bowl tie (currently has zero).

CSU played in the 1941 Rasin Bowl.  It was also called the California Bowl as well.