Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extra Mayo

2018 Video Games (Not OT!)

I think Microsoft had the best presser among the three hardware makers because not only did they show some new games but they showed that they have a plan in place to address their first party shortcomings plus they showed their commitment to the next generation of game consoles plus their future streaming service. This was so important especially after EA unveiled Origin Access Premier for the PC (no word about doing that for the XB1 so far for me). Halo Infinite will be on the XB1 and PC. Forza Horizon 4 should be fun to play with due to the different seasons and when my gaming rig is more up to snuff (it runs FH3 okay and with the weather effects, it's going to require more powerful hardware than what I have), and Crackdown 3 having a release date at long last. And yeah Gears of War 5.

I wasn't terribly blown away by last night's Playstation event but there were some good stuff especially Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman. Having played the Batman Arkham series that is comparable to Spiderman, I was impressed by what I saw especially graphics wise and it didn't appear to show any hiccups. There isn't much left for Sony to show for the PS4 and I think the pressure will be really on Sony to unveil the PS5 at next year's E3. The same for the XBox.

While I love fighting games, I thought Nintendo focused too much on Smash Bros Ultimate although they showed other games especially the two Pokemon games. Nintendo did tell some media that they prefer to focus on "near term" games as games that are releasing this year and early next year. I was expecting Metroid Prime 4 news and Nintendo didn't provide anything. This is the second E3 for the Switch and I think the answer why Nintendo's stock price went down recently would be tied to this presentation. I'm still excited for the Switch overall but I was disappointed by the amount of new games shown compared to the XBox and Playstation so I'd give them the bottom in this case.

For publishers, I think Bethesda & Ubisoft had the best pressers and I'm not sure who would have won among the non-hardware makers between those two. 

Square Enix didn't impress me much because I expected those games and was expecting more. I'd have them as the worst presser ahead of EA because EA did some things that I hoped would happen and also surprised me with Origin Premier. If EA Sports gets NBA Live and NHL on that subscription service for the PC perhaps along with UFC, I could almost live on their offerings alone and that is why despite many saying the EA presser was one of the worst, I have them ahead of Square Enix.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

I think Microsoft had the best presser among the three hardware makers because not only did they show some new games but they showed that they have a plan in place to address their first party shortcomings plus they showed their commitment to the next generation of game consoles plus their future streaming service. This was so important especially after EA unveiled Origin Access Premier for the PC (no word about doing that for the XB1 so far for me). Halo Infinite will be on the XB1 and PC. Forza Horizon 4 should be fun to play with due to the different seasons and when my gaming rig is more up to snuff (it runs FH3 okay and with the weather effects, it's going to require more powerful hardware than what I have), and Crackdown 3 having a release date at long last. And yeah Gears of War 5.

I wasn't terribly blown away by last night's Playstation event but there were some good stuff especially Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman. Having played the Batman Arkham series that is comparable to Spiderman, I was impressed by what I saw especially graphics wise and it didn't appear to show any hiccups. There isn't much left for Sony to show for the PS4 and I think the pressure will be really on Sony to unveil the PS5 at next year's E3. The same for the XBox.

While I love fighting games, I thought Nintendo focused too much on Smash Bros Ultimate although they showed other games especially the two Pokemon games. Nintendo did tell some media that they prefer to focus on "near term" games as games that are releasing this year and early next year. I was expecting Metroid Prime 4 news and Nintendo didn't provide anything. This is the second E3 for the Switch and I think the answer why Nintendo's stock price went down recently would be tied to this presentation. I'm still excited for the Switch overall but I was disappointed by the amount of new games shown compared to the XBox and Playstation so I'd give them the bottom in this case.

For publishers, I think Bethesda & Ubisoft had the best pressers and I'm not sure who would have won among the non-hardware makers between those two. 

Square Enix didn't impress me much because I expected those games and was expecting more. I'd have them as the worst presser ahead of EA because EA did some things that I hoped would happen and also surprised me with Origin Premier. If EA Sports gets NBA Live and NHL on that subscription service for the PC perhaps along with UFC, I could almost live on their offerings alone and that is why despite many saying the EA presser was one of the worst, I have them ahead of Square Enix.

DEVIL MAY CRY 5

Just saw where the New Mexico Activities Association (High school sanctioning body) is putting together participation rules for gaming. While I game (probably too much) :P, that's going to be weird. Go Goddard Rocket Fortnite team?

19 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Nintendo Switch is by far the best console ever made. I'll beat up anybody in the local big box store PL who claims any different. 

But I do have to admit I'm a little bummed MP4 and Yoshi Switch were no shows. 

No reason to hate on Sakurai-san though, the man continues to raise the bar beyond what was possible before.

18 hours ago, jdw said:

Just saw where the New Mexico Activities Association (High school sanctioning body) is putting together participation rules for gaming. While I game (probably too much) :P, that's going to be weird. Go Goddard Rocket Fortnite team?

I would say my son would trade his spot on the baseball team for a spot on the Fortnite team.

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

giphy.gif

...and proud of it damn you!  Also, get the hell off my lawn! :pitchforks:

On 6/11/2018 at 8:12 PM, Wyovanian said:

Moi aussi. The real-life world keeps me plenty busy and is far more fun...

I see. So that’s why you don’t have nearly 15,000 on an internet message board where you’ll never meet 95% of the people that you exchange messages with. 

1 hour ago, JADogs05 said:

I see. So that’s why you don’t have nearly 15,000 on an internet message board where you’ll never meet 95% of the people that you exchange messages with. 

I find it more stimulating than simulating...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

23 hours ago, Extra Mayo said:

Nintendo Switch is by far the best console ever made. I'll beat up anybody in the local big box store PL who claims any different. 

But I do have to admit I'm a little bummed MP4 and Yoshi Switch were no shows. 

No reason to hate on Sakurai-san though, the man continues to raise the bar beyond what was possible before.

I love the rumble from the joy cons and I am still impressed with the size of the screen compared to the Vita.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be a day one purchase for me.  Wikipedia page says 68 characters in the game!

Tokyo Game Show on September 19-23 should provide some answers.  But I would have liked more details on the upcoming online service.

And FYI, Nintendo E3 eShop sale should be going up at 10 am Pacific today.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, happycamper said:

Who doesn't play video games?

Grown ass adults.

(We play Werewolf/Mafia games)

On 6/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, Jalapeno said:

I love the rumble from the joy cons and I am still impressed with the size of the screen compared to the Vita.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be a day one purchase for me.  Wikipedia page says 68 characters in the game!

Tokyo Game Show on September 19-23 should provide some answers.  But I would have liked more details on the upcoming online service.

And FYI, Nintendo E3 eShop sale should be going up at 10 am Pacific today.

I've got two words regarding Switch Online: Cloud. Saves! I'm so sick of having to have to juggle Switches with the kids, now they'll be able to play their Kirby & Pokémon (when it comes out) files on their Switch.

Reggie was asked abt MP4, and said it's too far off to tease it :(

They did give Yoshi Switch a Spring '19 release date though.