Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Border Crisis

If you are wondering what how the heck people can justify separating parents from children and dehumanizing immigrants,  keep in mind the consistent message from the president.  They want to "infest" our country.  MS-13.  Crime.  This man is just beyond sad as a leader.  He sounds and communicates like a child, an angry child.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/19/immigrant-children-separated-parents-what-we-know/713152002/

"Democrats are the problem," Trump tweeted Tuesday. "They don’t care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13. They can’t win on their terrible policies, so they view them as potential voters!" He tweeted his mantra that people coming into the country illegally must be arrested, adding his familiar refrain: "If you don’t have Borders, you don’t have a Country!"

1 hour ago, Extra Mayo said:

As a fan of law and order, I don't believe things said by criminals. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

As a fan of law and order, I don't believe things said by criminals. 

Except if they are McVeigh or Branch Dividians or other armed right wing criminals.   

Posted Image

14 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Obviously this policy doesn’t compare to the holocaust.   However, Trump as proven that all means justify his end.   If he has to sacrifice some families or innocent young children so be it.   The German people supported the NAZI’s in that regard and the majority of Republicans continue to support what Trump is doing.  When I see a majority of Republicans say that this policy is not justified by the goal then I would agree with you.  But as of now their is little difference between today’s Republicans and the Germans in the 1930’s. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/18/politics/immigration-trump-approval/index.html

Until people of Latino descent born and raised in the U.S. start getting rounded up and forced in to ghettos or camps I don’t see how you can even begin to make the argument the situations are similar. And since we know that would never actually happen here I think comparisons to Nazi Germany are just hyperbolic nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Until people of Latino descent born and raised in the U.S. start getting rounded up and forced in to ghettos or camps I don’t see how you can even begin to make the argument the situations are similar. And since we know that would never actually happen here I think comparisons to Nazi Germany are just hyperbolic nonsense. 

Of course it’s not comparable to the Nazis. As yet it’s not as bad as rounding up the Japanese. But make no mistake: it’s bad. And if it persists history will say it’s bad. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It wasn't that long ago that the US government rounded up citizens born and raised in the US and put them into camps because of their race.

This is NOT meant compare the US to Nazi Germany, as I am not interested in being part of that conversation. This is just inserting a point of fact. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Of course it’s not comparable to the Nazis. As yet it’s not as bad as rounding up the Japanese. But make no mistake: it’s bad. And if it persists history will say it’s bad. 

Agree 100%. 

This is exactly why comparisons to Nazi Germany are counter productive. For one, it is not a particularly apt comparison. Two, it allows those who want to look the other way to dismiss the criticism. Ultimately, you play the Hitler card and the debate is pretty much over.

If the left wants to beat Donald Trump they have to stop with that nonsense. Trump being Trump is bad enough. We don't need to compare him to one of the most notorious mass murderers in history to make the case that Trump is unfit for the office he currently serves in.

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It wasn't that long ago that the US government rounded up citizens born and raised in the US and put them into camps because of their race.

This is NOT meant compare the US to Nazi Germany, as I am not interested in being part of that conversation. This is just inserting a point of fact. 

So you honestly think that could happen today? 

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So you honestly think that could happen today? 

I think anything is possible with the right amount of societal stressors. Do I think it could happen right this second? Probably not. Do I think that Americans are somehow so innately moral that the right sequences of events combined with the right leadership couldn't move most of the current population to a place where they would support such a measure? No way. 

And again, this is not an argument that the US is Nazi Germany.

16 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think anything is possible with the right amount of societal stressors. Do I think it could happen right this second? Probably not. Do I think that Americans are somehow so innately moral that the right sequences of events combined with the right leadership couldn't move most of the current population to a place where they would support such a measure? No way. 

And again, this is not an argument that the US is Nazi Germany.

I’m not saying this wouldn’t happen because Americans are moral. Between passing the laws, getting enough people that would actually enforce the policies, and taking in to account how U.S. allies would react to the U.S. rounding up American citizens I don’t see how this could realistically happen now. 

And I do understand you aren’t making the Nazi Germany argument, so don’t take this as me accusing you of doing that. 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m not saying this wouldn’t happen because Americans are moral. Between passing the laws, getting enough people that would actually enforce the policies, and taking in to account how U.S. allies would react to the U.S. rounding up American citizens I don’t see how this could realistically happen now. 

And I do understand you aren’t making the Nazi Germany argument, so don’t take this as me accusing you of doing that. 

I'm not saying you're accusing me of anything. I put that disclaimer at the end to keep others from dragging me in to the Nazi discussion. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Right?  Just call a bad thing a bad thing.

43 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

I wish liberals cared more about the ongoing chicago massacres than immigration.  

What are YOU doing about the Chicago massacres?