Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Thoughts on the Barkboard

I gave up on that POS site a long time ago. They were overrun by a contingent there that was just abusive of everyone who didnt share their views. 

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I think Tedford has hurt the site.  He’s a great coach, but he also doesn’t share much info and I find I don’t get the “inside news” I used to.   Often the free board has breaking news sooner than the pay board. 

I would be curious about @retrofade ‘s thoughts as I know he still posts there. 

I echo @JADogs05's sentiment... Jackson does an excellent job in providing a lot of insider information. He's broken a number of commits and other major news well before anything was said on the free board or elsewhere on the internet or in print/other media. 

25 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I echo @JADogs05's sentiment... Jackson does an excellent job in providing a lot of insider information. He's broken a number of commits and other major news well before anything was said on the free board or elsewhere on the internet or in print/other media. 

Well I respect your opinion but having been an insider for 15 years or so I recently stopped.   Just didn’t seem I was getting value for my money.   Wondered what others thought. 

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well I respect your opinion but having been an insider for 15 years or so I recently stopped.   Just didn’t seem I was getting value for my money.   Wondered what others thought. 

Not sure if you're asking our opinion of the board, its users, or its publisher.

I respect jackson's take on recruiting, current players, and the general situation in the AD at any given moment over pretty much any other fresno area beat writer or sports pundit - i know a thing or two about what goes on, but he's as plugged in as you can get..  Kuwada kisses the AD's ass for inside info and access so thoroughly it's a wonder he can breathe.  Marek is an edgy contrarian who literally bullshits about having inside information - i still can't get over his insistence that David Grace was the frontrunner for the basketball job when in fact he was eliminated from the outset after he crashed his initial interview like the hindenburg.  Papagni is a moron, Anteola is a nice guy who has no clue what's going on, and nobody else is worth mentioning.   Jackson's hamstrung by courtesy and convention when breaking news a lot of the time  - kept the isaiah johnson commitment scoop under wraps for a day out of respect to the recruit and then Kuwada went and broke it and got credit for it. 

The userbase can get silly at times, and it gets exacerbated during the dead zone between spring ball and fall camp when there's literally no news except the daily offers of random recruits.   People disappear or start posting feverish hot takes and political arguments.  In general retrofade and I pretty much stay hands-off as moderators....i'm not sure where nscfsu went, haven't seen him in like a year and a half.

The 247 board format sucks, but what can you do? That's what you're given.

3 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Not sure if you're asking our opinion of the board, its users, or its publisher.

I respect jackson's take on recruiting, current players, and the general situation in the AD at any given moment over pretty much any other fresno area beat writer or sports pundit - i know a thing or two about what goes on, but he's as plugged in as you can get..  Kuwada kisses the AD's ass for inside info and access so thoroughly it's a wonder he can breathe.  Marek is an edgy contrarian who literally bullshits about having inside information - i still can't get over his insistence that David Grace was the frontrunner for the basketball job when in fact he was eliminated from the outset after he crashed his initial interview like the hindenburg.  Papagni is a moron, Anteola is a nice guy who has no clue what's going on, and nobody else is worth mentioning.   Jackson's hamstrung by courtesy and convention when breaking news a lot of the time  - kept the isaiah johnson commitment scoop under wraps for a day out of respect to the recruit and then Kuwada went and broke it and got credit for it. 

The userbase can get silly at times, and it gets exacerbated during the dead zone between spring ball and fall camp when there's literally no news except the daily offers of random recruits.   People disappear or start posting feverish hot takes and political arguments.  In general retrofade and I pretty much stay hands-off as moderators....i'm not sure where nscfsu went, haven't seen him in like a year and a half.

The 247 board format sucks, but what can you do? That's what you're given.

Yeah it seemed that way.  Living in Sac and not a graduate it seemed he knew stuff but didn’t share it.  

Previous board owners would have insider only chats etc. so you got value for your cash.    In the case of the Barkboard, the insiders and general board seemed to get information at the same time.   It seemed Kuanda or a tweet would get posted on the Barkboard as it should because it was public info. 

I also think Jeff contributes to it as the master of saying nothing.   If it helps win great, I’m all for it.   But being remote it’s never felt like so little information about the program was available.   

2 hours ago, RedDog said:

I enjoy the board and Jackson's work.  What I am getting tired of is the political spins by a few.  The Diner is toxic, but some spill that crap on the sports boards and it is tiresome.

Copter and I are doing our best to contain the political stuff to the Diner. I honestly try to purposefully rile some people up in there so that they'll keep things there. 

21 hours ago, godogsgo said:

I gave up on that POS site a long time ago. They were overrun by a contingent there that was just abusive of everyone who didnt share their views. 

Seems to be a common theme among school specific boards 

some random thoughts:

I have been a premium member most of the time, going back to the richcali days. Overall, it's been worth it, but there are periods of time when it's slow, as well as when there's a lot of breaking news such as coaching changes. I'm not big on following recruits until they sign, but I know that's important to a lot of users.

Any chance they can Resurrect The chats? Those were pretty good in the past.

I have stopped into a few barkboard tailgates through the years to meet the folks.

It seems like a lot of people left the board in the turnover between Coach Pat Hill and Coach Tim DeRuyter. That was a very toxic time, a lot of people very loyal to Pat Hill.

It does seems like in the past it was over moderated, it became a pretty sterile place.

110926run_defense710.jpg

8 hours ago, retrofade said:

Copter and I are doing our best to contain the political stuff to the Diner. I honestly try to purposefully rile some people up in there so that they'll keep things there. 

I did wonder about that lmao.

35 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

some random thoughts:

I have been a premium member most of the time, going back to the richcali days. Overall, it's been worth it, but there are periods of time when it's slow, as well as when there's a lot of breaking news such as coaching changes. I'm not big on following recruits until they sign, but I know that's important to a lot of users.

I have stopped into a few barkboard tailgates through the years to meet the folks.

It seems like a lot of people left the board in the turnover between Coach Pat Hill and Coach Tim DeRuyter. That was a very toxic time, a lot of people very loyal to Pat Hill.

It does seems like in the past it was over moderated, it became a pretty sterile place.

Jackson and Lucio are looking into the chat, i think they're still figuring out which platform to base it on given that 247 doesn't have its own chat function right now.

2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

some random thoughts:

I'll talk to Jackson and company about trying to get some chats going back again. I know part of the issue with that has had to do with the 24/7 switch, as the chat technology doesn't exist on our current platform. 

My son and I stopped in on the BarkBoard tailgate before the 2016 SJSU game, and it was fun, even though we were only there for the last little bit before the game started. 

I do agree that things were overmoderated for a while, and the Josh/Twist era really didn't work out very well. He took things overly personally, which is part of why I was brought on to moderate the place. My main job these days is to try and keep political bullshit contained to the Diner.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, godogsgo said:

Gave it a go a while back. There are a couple of really solid contributors. A particular shout out to "sbbulldog85" who made the effort to reach out to me when I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and asked me to reconsider, and who continues to make the sort of effort on Bronco Country that I wasn't willing to on his own board.

He may never actually see this, but, respect has been paid.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I'll talk to Jackson and company about trying to get some chats going back again. I know part of the issue with that has had to do with the 24/7 switch, as the chat technology doesn't exist on our current platform. 

My son and I stopped in on the BarkBoard tailgate before the 2016 SJSU game, and it was fun, even though we were only there for the last little bit before the game started. 

I do agree that things were overmoderated for a while, and the Josh/Twist era really didn't work out very well. He took things overly personally, which is part of why I was brought on to moderate the place. My main job these days is to try and keep political bullshit contained to the Diner.

Chats would be good if Jackson shared the stuff he knew.  Making comments like I know but I can’t tell you is counter productive.   At least in my case it left me thinking what am I paying you for?   

13 hours ago, retrofade said:

My main job these days is to try and keep political bullshit contained to the Diner.

To that end you are doing a good job. On rare occasions, sports and politics overlap, most recently the flap over the professor/ threats of boycott.

110926run_defense710.jpg

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Chats would be good if Jackson shared the stuff he knew.  Making comments like I know but I can’t tell you is counter productive.   At least in my case it left me thinking what am I paying you for?   

I think the recent quality of reporting is the best it has ever been. I also realize Jackson and his team need to walk a fine line related to insider information and criticism of coaches, the school and programs.  Although I am not a basketball fan, I thought he had good coverage this spring leading up to the hiring of the new coach.

I did drop my premium membership for 6-9 months when Mario went missing longer than he promised. I don't think we will see a return to the insider info and criticism of the coaches and program that we saw with Mario.

As for dollars and cents, I have wondered the same thing as you at times, but I have continued the premium membership to support the publisher efforts and because I want the forum and content to continue.

110926run_defense710.jpg