Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBigAwesome

2018 World Cup

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Why would they host the event in a shit hole city like Santa Barbara? I swear, they should've just done it in TJ. 

Money and conference affiliation.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Money and conference affiliation.

Only reasons I can think of. Otherwise who else wants to see this? 

SantaBarbara.jpg

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

17 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

That was a great final. I'm a bit annoyed at the whining about the penalty kick. Absolutely the right call. Exciting game, though.

The first penalty kick was a bad call in my opinion.  The French player was barely touched and took a dive.  Not saying that’s why Croatia lost, but it was a bad call.  

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

Guest RoscoesDad
5 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

The first penalty kick was a bad call in my opinion.  The French player was barely touched and took a dive.  Not saying that’s why Croatia lost, but it was a bad call.  

I think you are talking about the dive by Greizmann, but it was a free kick outside the box , not a penalty kick.  That free kick actually went down as an own goal off of Mandzukics' head.  Two strokes of bad luck for Croatia in a row.   A lot of these world class players like Griezmann and Neymar are also world-class divers and will hit the ground at all times in their half hoping to get a free kick just for this reason.  The only way to stop it is for Refs to grow some balls and start giving out yellows on dives for simulation like they are supposed to be doing.  However it's so hard to call live like PI in the NFL that it's always going to be an issue.  The PK was off a handball in the box, which was the proper call IMO.  Can't flail your arms in the box as a defender, even if it is ball to hand. If it's hanging out there and the ball hits it, that's a penalty.  Bad luck again, but could have been avoided if dude kept his wing tucked in like he should have.

I don't think the first penalty leading to the direct kick was as bad as everyone thinks. This screen grab shows it a bit. But there is definitely contact. There may be an argument that Griezmann was on his way down, but it doesn't really matter. If there's contact, especially from behind like that, it's going to get called every time.

529713662_ScreenShot2018-07-17at6_39_02PM.thumb.png.ac854aaba31506185d910ba3466f1abd.png