Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBigAwesome

2018 World Cup

7 hours ago, TheBigAwesome said:

Rugby is not a sport, just an excuse for closeted faigs (not that there's anything wrong with that) to grab on each other. Lol.

Do you like gladiator movies? 

14 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

The NCAA used to have a third place game during the Final Four :shrug:

Can you imagine a game between the loser of the NFC and AFC championship games? That’s cruel and unusual punishment after the disappointment of losing such a meaningful game. 

41 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Why is there a 3rd place match? I’ve enjoyed the WC but really??? That’s just lame. 

No lamer than giving BOTH teams a 3rd place medal.  Some sports in the Olympics do just that.

Just now, NevadaFan said:

Can you imagine a game between the loser of the NFC and AFC championship games? That’s cruel and unusual punishment after the disappointment of losing such a meaningful game. 

Yes, I can......because the NFL used to do that, too.  Google 'Playoff Bowl'.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

No lamer than giving BOTH teams a 3rd place medal.  Some sports in the Olympics do just that.

In fairness to the Olympics, that's mostly limited to swimming and only in a photo finish.  They break it down to one-hundreth of a second.

Although in this year's Winter Olympics, the German and Canadian two-man bobsled teams both won gold by having the exact same time after their respective final runs.

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

In fairness to the Olympics, that's mostly limited to swimming and only in a photo finish.  They break it down to one-hundreth of a second.

Although in this year's Winter Olympics, the German and Canadian two-man bobsled teams both won gold by having the exact same time after their respective final runs.

Incorrect.  Wrestling, boxing, judo and taekwondo award 2 bronze medals at each weight class.  .

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Incorrect.  Wrestling, boxing, judo and taekwondo award 2 bronze medals at each weight class.  .

I stand corrected then :o

39 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yes, I can......because the NFL used to do that, too.  Google 'Playoff Bowl'.

Thank you for the information. I had no idea. But after reading up on the game, it’s not the same. It was concocted to drive interest in two floundering leagues and abolished soon after the Super Bowl was formed. The World Cup is one of a few great sporting events in the World and has been played for decades. Horrible. 

England just needs to finish things up tomorrow for that France v. England matchup. Honestly I think that game would be much better than France/Croatia. I just don't think Croatia is that good. I think France would pound them and it would be a boring final. 

I think France/England would be much more entertaining. 

Speaking of the NCAA...

The NCAA rules committee decided not to have referees keep official game time. That task will remain with a visible scoreboard and timekeeper

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2018-04-27/harsher-illegal-participation-penalties-approved-college-soccer

Officials can now use video review to check for violent conduct. Bands, musical instruments and artificial noisemakers are now allowed while the ball is in play.

2 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

England just needs to finish things up tomorrow for that France v. England matchup. Honestly I think that game would be much better than France/Croatia. I just don't think Croatia is that good. I think France would pound them and it would be a boring final. 

I think France/England would be much more entertaining. 

Croatia looked very good against an Argentinian squad in disarray, but has looked pedestrian in its last three matches against Iceland, Denmark, and Russia, respectively. I, too, am looking forward to a France/England final on Sunday.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

I'm pulling for Croatia in this match as I have been most of the tournament because it is one of my favorite places on earth and the best vacation I ever had but I will cheer for whoever wins this game and wouldn't mind England winning it all.

BTW has anyone seen this video of Croatian Firefighters watching the penalty kicks against Russia. Its great.

Is there any team more reliant on "set pieces" than this England squad?