Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBigAwesome

2018 World Cup

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

¿Any chance Colombia will get a rematch w/Jápon?

It would have to be, obviously, in the World Cup Final, so, not very likely.

I do think a Mexico vs Germany rematch in the World Cup Final is not out of the question though.

16 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

That late goal likely helped Spain evade the "Bracket of Death" on the other side. Things still have to play out, BUT, the top half of the Knockout Bracket will likely have Germany, Brazil, France, Uruguay, Belgium, and possibly even Colombia. Imagine Spain in there too! F.uck!

In contrast the other side of the bracket will likely include Mexico, England, Croatia, Denmark, Japan, Switzerland, and Russia.

That late goal saved so many lives! (Metaphorically speaking).  Russia instead of Uruguay is huge. And yes, only chance to see Germany(if they progress) or Brazil in the finals is very good news

7 hours ago, Bob said:

Impossible. Only Americans are capable of racism. 

I got chewed out in Uppsala, Sweden by an old man many years ago. I had long blonde hair. He assumed I was a Swede. I was with a Jewish guy who was a childhood friend and a grad student in Sweden. His roomate, an Irish guy with black hair, was walking with us. They both lived there and spoke Swedish. The old guy gets in my face and starts yelling at me. I asked the guys what he'd said. Turns out he was scolding me for associating with two "black heads."

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

That late goal saved so many lives! (Metaphorically speaking).  Russia instead of Uruguay is huge. And yes, only chance to see Germany(if they progress) or Brazil in the finals is very good news

I figured Russia would crash to Earth once they played a decent team. The fix was on with that group.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I got chewed out in Uppsala, Sweden by an old man many years ago. I had long blonde hair. He assumed I was a Swede. I was with a Jewish guy who was a childhood friend and a grad student in Sweden. His roomate, an Irish guy with black hair, was walking with us. They both lived there and spoke Swedish. The old guy gets in my face and starts yelling at me. I asked the guys what he'd said. Turns out he was scolding me for associating with two "black heads."

Swiss old ladies are really racist too.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:01 PM, soupslam1 said:

When every men’s team in the world has its best athletes playing soccer, except for the USA, what does anyone expect? Our best men’s athletes are divided between football, basketball, and baseball. Soccer gets the leftovers.

Contrast the men with the USA women’s team which has some of its better athletes committed to soccer. Yes, women in our country play other sports, but soccer is a major sport for women in comparison to other sports with the possible exception of basketball.

Is there any doubt If our best men’s athletes grew up playing soccer we would compete with the best in the world like our women do.

Name the one sport played in the US with more people playing it than baseball.  This is professional and amateur.  The ESPN FC article I’m referencing has been taken down, but it is referenced by Wikipedia.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

On 6/8/2018 at 10:49 PM, mugtang said:

We also don’t put the resources into soccer other counties do.  Our best athletes don’t play soccer.  

We also don’t encourage people to be Jim Thorpe anymore.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Messi and Argentina somehow do it with Iceland losing and advance.

Croatia is playing really well, I didn't expect Iceland to win.

Argentina, still not playing like Argentina, had enough to beat an over-matched Nigeria as expected. Nigeria's only goal came on a gift of a PK that was an obvious flop.

You'd like to say that if Argentina keeps playing the way it is that France will trounce them in the next round but France hasn't been particularly impressive either.

3 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

Croatia is playing really well, I didn't expect Iceland to win.

Argentina, still not playing like Argentina, had enough to beat an over-matched Nigeria as expected. Nigeria's only goal came on a gift of a PK that was an obvious flop.

You'd like to say that if Argentina keeps playing the way it is that France will trounce them in the next round but France hasn't been particularly impressive either.

None of the big dogs have been that impressive. Spain, Germany, France, Argentina, Brazil. I also think Poland was 1 seed and didn't even advance. 

Nigeria had it in front of them and blew it.  They are going to regret those two missed opportunities late in the second half

4 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Mexico for me. But if I had to pick at this point I’d say Croatia. 

As far as which teams have actually been impressive thus far, yes, Mexico and Croatia are up there.

I'd say Uruguay, Belgium, and England too but they are doing it from the weak groups. 

Despite falling a man down early, I thought Colombia showed well against Japan and played really good against Poland. I see them turning it up in the knockout stage.

16 hours ago, Bob said:

Croatia is my new favorite team. Love the checkered jerseys. It is so distinctive and recognizable... kind of like the Brown and Gold of Wyoming along with the bucking horse. 

If Croatia had a Falcon on their jersey you would probably have a perpetual boner.