Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

MLB in Vegas?

On 6/9/2018 at 5:00 PM, UNLV2001 said:

LV AAA team (soon to get a whole new image, name, etc) will be getting a new MLB affiliation - D-Backs just signed extension with Reno, so they are off the board.......heard local sports guy say A's could be the team - which means there won't be much difference between the talent in Oakland & Las Vegas.

Oakland wasn't happy years ago when Sacramento decided to sign with the Giants, A's have been looking I think for a new minor league place when their agreement with Nashville was done. So it wouldn't surprise me if they are actively looking at Las Vegas. There was a little talk about Reno but I think that wasn't going to be realistic. However I do wonder what the new name of Vegas is going to be.

28 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Oakland wasn't happy years ago when Sacramento decided to sign with the Giants, A's have been looking I think for a new minor league place when their agreement with Nashville was done. So it wouldn't surprise me if they are actively looking at Las Vegas. There was a little talk about Reno but I think that wasn't going to be realistic. However I do wonder what the new name of Vegas is going to be.

Ironically they media thinks LV's new name could be AVIATORS - Howard Hughes Corp owns the 51's and is moving and building the team a stadium in Summerlin - thus the "aviator" tie in for Howard Hughes (and the movie) - Also we'd have the Las Vegas A's and Oakland A's 

On 6/7/2018 at 6:20 PM, RebelRobert said:

The Italian American Club at Eastern/Sahara???

People would get killed going to a game.

People get Raped at Jaycee Park

No way that is happening.  Valley High School??  No.

MLB belongs downtown.

Try S. Grand Central Pkwy/W. Carson Ave.

or maybe the MGM concert grounds at Sahara/LV Blvd. on the Strip.

Try a city where a majority of the day-time temps during baseball season aren't in the triple-digits.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, BacksThePack said:

Portland's going to shank Vegas if they get a team and we don't. Maybe this means Montreal is out?

Portland and Vegas make a ton of sense for cutting western team travel (looking at you Texas and Houston). Frankly, Tampa and Oakland should move too, so we add Charlotte and an additional team in one of the KY or TN markets like Nashville or Louisville. Miami should move too, but they are.more locked in stadium wise. Just copy the NFLs 8x4 set up with 12 teams in the playoffs. Maybe even copy the scheduling too. Slash it to the 130ish range game wise.

Montreal was so poorly supported last time around.  ¿Why would they make the same mistake twice?

On 6/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, Fowl said:

The economic model of a MLB team is wildly different than NFL or NHL.  MLB won't be going to Vegas.  For that matter neither Montreal and I'm highly skeptical of Portland.

Okay...so you've covered where they aren't going.  Care to venture to where MLB will be going?

44 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Okay...so you've covered where they aren't going.  Care to venture to where MLB will be going?

Charlotte is a lock. Then somewhere in the Midwest or Ohio Valley, OKC, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, etc.

4 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Montreal was so poorly supported last time around.  ¿Why would they make the same mistake twice?

Who knows - This is MLB's 3rd try in Washington DC - 1st team is now the Twins , 2nd team is now the Rangers - looks like the 3rd time might be the one that lasts 

6 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Google pictures of the MLB stadium that Sacramento actually started to construct. It was just off the 5 near Truxel Road in current Arco/Sleep Train arena parking lot. Which BTW I wonder what will happen to it now that Golden 1 is downtown?

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Ironically they media thinks LV's new name could be AVIATORS - Howard Hughes Corp owns the 51's and is moving and building the team a stadium in Summerlin - thus the "aviator" tie in for Howard Hughes (and the movie) - Also we'd have the Las Vegas A's and Oakland A's 

A couple of people I talked to down there just wish they would go back to the Stars.

29 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Google pictures of the MLB stadium that Sacramento actually started to construct. It was just off the 5 near Truxel Road in current Arco/Sleep Train arena parking lot. Which BTW I wonder what will happen to it now that Golden 1 is downtown?

There have been talks about Sacramento building a stadium to possibly try to draw the A's there since......well I think at least the mid to late 90's for the A's. However the only thing that I know they are building down there right now is a new 19,000 seat MLS Stadium which they hope to be chosen for expansion. However with some of the names attached to them I don't think I would chose them. It seems some cities are looking to soccer more than baseball recently.