Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

MLB in Vegas?

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

He was inaccurately adding Eugene and Salem into the Portland metro area. Eugene and Salem are each their own metro areas with about 400,000 people in each.

There's a dominant markets that cover wider regions.........Portland is dominate in 90% of Oregon - Eugene & Salem would be local micro markets 

Just like Reno is the dominant market in northern NV & Elko is a micro 

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Which is why it's odd that they black out LV - There's no threat to lower attendance and there's no regional TV ties to compete with 

When I was a kid, a local station (can't even remember which one) used to broadcast Giants games. It was for like two summers when I was 12 or 13. Not sure if it stems from that, but after it was maddening when I still lived in LV. I always had Directv for this reason. If you had Directv you would get the channel that is now NBC Sports Bay Area as part of your basic package, and Giants games were not blacked out. I did the same here when I first moved here, because the Giants, A's, and Seattle all claim Bend. Now I get Sling, which gives me NBC Sports Bay Area. 

11 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

There's a dominant markets that cover wider regions.........Portland is dominate in 90% of Oregon - Eugene & Salem would be local micro markets 

Just like Reno is the dominant market in northern NV & Elko is a micro 

Yeah, but that wasn't what he was talking about. He was talking about the population of metro areas. If we're just talking about TV markets, Eugene, Bend and Medford are all independent TV markets with their own network affiliates and cable companies. Salem, on the other hand, is part of the Portland TV market as you suggest.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

When I was a kid, a local station (can't even remember which one) used to broadcast Giants games. It was for like two summers when I was 12 or 13. Not sure if it stems from that, but it was maddening when I still lived in LV. I always had Directv for this reason. If you had Directv you would get the channel that is now NBC Sports Bay Area as part of your basic package, and Giants games were not blacked out. I did the same here when I first moved here, because the Giants, A's, and Seattle all claim Bend. Now I get Sling, which gives me NBC Sports Bay Area. 

When I was a kid growing up in Reno/Sparks - I don't recall any local station carrying A's or Giants games (1966-1978) - Cable might have had them, Reno back then only had the 3 main channels ABC, NBS, CBS so no UHF outlets

Since 1978 I've been in LV area.....and for awhile when we got some local UHF channels (Ch 21 and up) they picked up Padres games (due to Stars being SD affiliate , and I think Channel 33 used to carry some Giants games in the mid 90's.........when the D-backs started up in 1999, Ch 33 carried D-backs games - Then everything went to regional sports channels via cable's expansion and local UHF's lost their niche..........When going to KC, the Royalss used to be on UHF channel 48 back in the day 

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

When I was a kid, a local station (can't even remember which one) used to broadcast Giants games. It was for like two summers when I was 12 or 13. Not sure if it stems from that, but after it was maddening when I still lived in LV. I always had Directv for this reason. If you had Directv you would get the channel that is now NBC Sports Bay Area as part of your basic package, and Giants games were not blacked out. I did the same here when I first moved here, because the Giants, A's, and Seattle all claim Bend. Now I get Sling, which gives me NBC Sports Bay Area. 

The sling deal just started this year if not mistaken. That’s why I dumped the MLB Network. 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

When I was a kid growing up in Reno/Sparks - I don't recall any local station carrying A's or Giants games (1966-1978) - Cable might have had them, Reno back then only had the 3 main channels ABC, NBS, CBS so no UHF outlets

Since 1978 I've been in LV area.....and for awhile when we got some local UHF channels (Ch 21 and up) they picked up Padres games (due to Stars being SD affiliate , and I think Channel 33 used to carry some Giants games in the mid 90's.........when the D-backs started up in 1999, Ch 33 carried D-backs games - Then everything went to regional sports channels via cable's expansion and local UHF's lost their niche..........When going to KC, the Royalss used to be on UHF channel 48 back in the day 

Channel 33. That was it! I think it was late 80s-early 90s.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Channel 33. That was it! I think it was late 80s-early 90s.

Yep - Ch 33 started as independent channel.........then cable grew with regional sports stations and UHF's lost their hold on sports teams...........then came the secondary networks like CW and they affiliated with them 

Remember channel 21 began as a local music video channel called V-21 in the very first year or two 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

Yep - Ch 33 started as independent channel.........then cable grew with regional sports stations and UHF's lost their hold on sports teams...........then came the secondary networks like CW and they affiliated with them 

Remember channel 21 began as a local music video channel called V-21 in the very first year or two 

I remember Channel 21's early music video days well!

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

????????

The Las Vegas metro area encompasses all of Clark county, (including Laughlin and Mesquite) a total of 8061 sq mi.

The Portland metro, even with those outlying communities covers a total of 6684 sq mi.

I think his point was that the vast majority of the LV metro area lives in the the LV Valley, which (if wiki is correct) is only 600 sq miles. 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think his point was that the vast majority of the LV metro area lives in the the LV Valley, which (if wiki is correct) is only 600 sq miles. 

True - Most is inside the LV Valley - Boulder City is just around the mountain - all the rest of the LV MSA (metropolitan statistical area lies outside the "valley" and is at least an hours drive away - The larger LV metro MSA encompasses Clark, Nye counties in NV and Mohave County in AZ which has some small population centers 90 -to 100 miles away from the LV valley 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

In related LV baseball news, Just read something In the LVRJ saying the new name for the 51s May be the Aviators. 

Howard Hughes Corporation owns the 51's - thus the "Aviator" theme / tie in 

Also if the Oakland A's are MLB affiliate, then las vegas will also have the A's 

20 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

People in Iowas have the same problem - they are surrounded by Twins, Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals & Royals.........all blacked out in Iowa

MLB really needs to rethink their TV strategy. It is based on an old dying model of everybody having cable and satellite subscriptions. 

We should be able to pay for the MLB TV service and get any game we want. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

MLB really needs to rethink their TV strategy. It is based on an old dying model of everybody having cable and satellite subscriptions. 

Not gonna happen as long as regional sports networks are paying millions for rights. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

36 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Not gonna happen as long as regional sports networks are paying millions for rights. 

True , but this model depends on regional sports networks getting subscription fees and ad revenue from cable or satellite TV subscribers. This model is dying a slow painful death. 

Subscription based broadcasts are the future. 

29 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

True , but this model depends on regional sports networks getting subscription fees and ad revenue from cable or satellite TV subscribers. This model is dying a slow painful death. 

Subscription based broadcasts are the future. 

Gonna be a while in baseball. The Dodgers are on a 25-year deal worth more than $8 billion. Time Warner isn't going to just cough up their rights after paying $320 million/year and the Dodgers probably can't make that kind of money from a subscription-based model..

4 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Agree - In this age of streaming and even pirated streams, it's stupid to block out areas