Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Which MWC is most likely to lose their FCS matchup in 2018?

Which MWC is most likely to lose their FCS matchup in 2018?   

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the MW squads playing a FCS team are most likely to see a 2017 state of Nevada type upset?

• AFA vs Stonybrook 9/1
    • CSU vs Illinois State 9/22
    • FSU vs Idaho 9/1
    • Hawai'i vs Duquesne 9/22
    • Nevada vs Portland State 8/31
    • UNM vs Incarnate Word 9/1
    • SDSU vs Sacramento State 9/8
    • SJSU vs UC Davis 8/30
    • USU vs Tennessee Tech 9/13
    • UNLV vs Prairie View 9/15
    • UW vs Wofford 9/15

I think SJSU will be one of the harder teams to predict this year in terms of the cellar dwellers of the MWC. Last year was bad, but the amount of injuries were out of this world. Forcing a not good team to play backups at key positions most of the year. When the team was closer to full strength they hung with USF for about 3 qtrs, beat cal poly 34-13, and Wyo. Now we have an OC with experience, and fingers crossed a healthier team. UC Davis might be better than Cal Poly but they are not traditionally a good FCS team. So I would guess it is unlikely SJSU is the one to lose this game, but would believe they are as likely to have this be their only win, as they are to win 3-4 games.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:04 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I think you have them confused with another school. Davis moved up to FCS in 2004-5 and has a sub.500 record during that timespan. They've never won more than 6 games in a season. 

That's sad to see. They were a powerhouse at the D2 level. They went something like 30 or 40 years without a losing season. I still remember when they beat Stanford in Palo Alto (and probably brought more fans to the game than Stanford did). I have always hoped that they would join the MWC some day.

I picked Davis because they are a historical powerhouse. I didn't realize that they had fallen on hard times recently. But SJSU is not good and this game will be within driving distance of Davis' fans. This could be a de facto home game for Davis if their fans are excited. It will be interesting to see what happens.

15 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

That's sad to see. They were a powerhouse at the D2 level. They went something like 30 or 40 years without a losing season. I still remember when they beat Stanford in Palo Alto (and probably brought more fans to the game than Stanford did). I have always hoped that they would join the MWC some day.

I picked Davis because they are a historical powerhouse. I didn't realize that they had fallen on hard times recently. But SJSU is not good and this game will be within driving distance of Davis' fans. This could be a de facto home game for Davis if their fans are excited. It will be interesting to see what happens.

SJSU has played Davis a few times in recent history. For an FCS school they travel OK, but thus far they really have never brought that many fans. The game will be on a Thursday before a Holiday weekend, so it will be interesting to see if that helps or hurts the number of travelers.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:12 PM, NVGiant said:

I think they were winless last year

Oh sure.....if you look at it that way. :D

On 6/11/2018 at 5:01 PM, StanfordAggie said:

No one wants to pick up Davis in FBS, especially the MWC. The PAC-12 presidents would love to pick up Davis because they're an academic conference. Let's say we bring up Davis and invest in improving them. Say the first 7 years are brutal, and in the next 3 started pulling their weight more and by year 15, they're damn good. 

Then the PAC-12 would thank us for breaking them in and then UCD is suddenly gone. Not only would we have wasted so much on them, we just put another P-12 school in a prime recruiting area for Nevada, Fresno, SJSU, etc. It has no upside.

kat.jpg

On 6/7/2018 at 1:52 PM, madmartigan said:

Votr! We had two upsets last year. Nevada just had to try one up their rival. Every year we seem to have at least one. Who will fall victim? Also good on Boise for not playing any FCS games this year. 

I'm going with none.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I watch a lot of FCS football, so picked CSewe because Illinois St. is tough, their conference is notorious for upsetting p5's and FBS schools. Woodford is also a good team but Wyo's defense will be too much for them. FSU is too tough for Idaho. The rest are scrubs.