Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

No more Vegas Bowl for the Mountain West?

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Del Scorcho said:

this isn't good news for BYU either as they have been to that bowl about as much as anyone

We really don't know if it is good news or not.

It could be great news for BYU if say, the PAC12 signs a deal to appear in 4/6 years at the Las Vegas Bowl, and BYU signs a deal for 2/6 years (similar to what BYU has been doing as an Indy).  The MWC might could sign a deal to be the backup if one of the Conferences doesn't have enough teams.

I guess we'll find out.

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

The Sun Bowl has had great local support traditionally and regularly draws 40-50k.  Like all the other bowls, the BCS has changed everything.  I can't see it not pitting 2 P5 conferences against each other.  It has a prime time slot on CBS,  12pm MT on Dec 31st.  But,  who knows what the future of the playoff system is.  All i know is if there is a way for G5 to get pushed down, like the Vegas Bowl, it will happen.  

I think they'll just keep playing that one how it is.

What becomes the bowl game for the MWC champ if they don't make the Access Bowl?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, alum93 said:

I don't think it happens.  They will hold on to P5 vs P5.  

How?

There aren't enough P5 eligible teams.

5 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

this isn't good news for BYU either as they have been to that bowl about as much as anyone

Meh, we've only been to that one once during independence.  The bowl seemed to be nearly on it's way out before BYU went several times in a row and it kind of regained it's footing.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just now, SteelhammerPhD said:

Boise is clearly the most marketable program in the league.

The Signature Bowl should have blue turf. No one can take that away.

Right now its MWC vs MAC.

Make it a "Champions Bowl" with the MWC and MAC sending their best teams, like the days when the MWC Champ played the CUSA Champ.

You're delusional.  The Potato Bowl will never be desirable due to location and a MAC matchup.  There is absolutely zero interest on both sides of the equation.  The MWC would be better off if that bowl just went away as it is holding the league back to be honest.  I can't tell you how many buddies I have that had planned to attend Wyoming's bowl game until it was announced it would be the Potato Bowl and then they all declined (even though it was Josh Allen's last game as a Cowboy).  The Potato Bowl can't even give away enough tickets for folks to attend.  The game is a joke to most people and that is the reality.

Once again, dump the traditional bowl model full of MWC v. CUSA/MAC/Sun Belt matchups in undesirable locations and think outside of the box.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, OrediggerPoke said:

You're delusional.  The Potato Bowl will never be desirable due to location and a MAC matchup.  There is absolutely zero interest on both sides of the equation.  The MWC would be better off if that bowl just went away as it is holding the league back to be honest.  I can't tell you how many buddies I have that had planned to attend Wyoming's bowl game until it was announced it would be the Potato Bowl and then they all declined (even though it was Josh Allen's last game as a Cowboy).  The Potato Bowl can't even give away enough tickets for folks to attend.  The game is a joke to most people and that is the reality.

Once again, dump the traditional bowl model full of MWC v. CUSA/MAC/Sun Belt matchups in undesirable locations and think outside of the box.

That guy is an AAC troll, who @mugtang has already banned numerous times.   He's always pushing the idea of the MWC being on par with the MAC or CUSA.

In reality:  MWC = AAC

Guest #1Stunner

This probably means that the MWC and BYU will sign a couple of bowl ties to play each other.

BYU vs WYO (it will happen....again).

the date of the Las Vegas Bowl is key here, if it switches to a game between Christmas and New Years then a P5 vs. P5 works.  If its still a pre-Christmas bowl game then a P12 vs. SEC doesn't make much sense.  As rabid as SEC fans are, I dont see them traveling in bunches shortly before the holidays and while the P12 will bring a few fans mostly within driving distance nobody is going to spend $2500 for a 6th place P12 team and a 7th place SEC team

14 minutes ago, SteelhammerPhD said:

Boise is clearly the most marketable program in the league.

The Signature Bowl should have blue turf. No one can take that away.

Right now its MWC vs MAC.

Make it a "Champions Bowl" with the MWC and MAC sending their best teams, like the days when the MWC Champ played the CUSA Champ.

DRrut8zUMAAIQWd_euoytg.jpg

We need a "Retard" button for you, but the "Idiot" button will have to do for now. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

How?

There aren't enough P5 eligible teams.

Per article, here is who they take.  i don't think the Vegas Bowl bumps Sun Bowl from P5 vs P5.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Bowl

Conference tie-ins[edit]

As of 2017, the Sun Bowl continues to pit the Pac-12 and ACC.

The Sun Bowl is part of the ACC's pool arrrangement where the Belk, Pinstripe, Music City, and TaxSlayer bowls each share choice of the conference's eligible teams following the College Football Playoff and the Camping World Bowl (formerly the Russell Athletic Bowl). The Sun Bowl can take any team ranked fourth through eighth in the ACC.

The Pac-12 currently employs the Sun Bowl as its fifth choice, behind the CFP and the Alamo, Holiday, and Foster Farms bowls.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

the date of the Las Vegas Bowl is key here, if it switches to a game between Christmas and New Years then a P5 vs. P5 works.  If its still a pre-Christmas bowl game then a P12 vs. SEC doesn't make much sense.  As rabid as SEC fans are, I dont see them traveling in bunches shortly before the holidays and while the P12 will bring a few fans mostly within driving distance nobody is going to spend $2500 for a 6th place P12 team and a 7th place SEC team

As long as the Vegas Bowl bumps up its payout, it will be fine remaining as a pre-Christmas bowl, IMO.

The Vegas Bowl will probably be similar to the San Francisco Bowl, and just be a P5 #6 vs a P5 #7, so most people won't care too much about attending, regardless of when it's played.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

As long as the Vegas Bowl bumps up its payout, it will be fine remaining as a pre-Christmas bowl, IMO.

The Vegas Bowl will probably be similar to the San Francisco Bowl, and just be a P5 #6 vs a P5 #7, so most people won't care too much about attending, regardless of when it's played.

yea you could be right. 

Although I did read something the other day where coaching staffs hate the pre-Christmas bowls along with the new early football signing period.  It just packs too much into mid to late December.

I love Nevada, and will always support them and its fellow conference members. But college football as a whole is becoming harder for me to support beyond my own alma mater-based interests.

This is bad news no doubt. I think the Hawaii Bowl will need to become our new signature bowl.  Great location and maybe we can get the #2 AAC team each year.  Plus likely we will be shopping the MWC Champion to a "major" bowl each year anyways as the P5 conferences always have too may bowls and some really good bowls are left looking for quality teams.  Boise to the Cactus Bowl two years ago as a good example.  So, many years we will have our champion in a BCS Bowl like Fiesta, most years it will be shopped to "major" bowls that lose their P5 tie ins like Cactus or Foster Farms, for instance, and lastly place the champion in the Hawaii vs. #2 AAC.  Not great, but can still work.