Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

No more Vegas Bowl for the Mountain West?

2 minutes ago, SteelhammerPhD said:

That’s for your opinion former frog, Cullenbohanen et al. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

15 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

can't say we didn't see this coming. Lol. 

So true...they got seats to sell at a new $1 billion plus stadium.

I was thinking the new Rams stadium was going to be where the Pac-12 CCG moves to but it's becoming more obvious that game is moving to Vegas.

Guest #1Stunner

@RebelRobert called this out last year.

This is really bad news for the MWC.  Sucks.

My guess is that the PAC12 - ACC dump the Sun Bowl in El Paso, and that the MWC has to take that bowl over vs CUSA or something.

Guest #1Stunner
39 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Vegas is big enough to host 2 bowl games, why not?

Why would the MWC be excited about a 2nd, lower tier bowl game in Las Vegas, vs CUSA or someone?

Unless it is MWC vs a P5, it isn't going to be all that exciting.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

My guess is that the PAC12 - ACC dump the Sun Bowl in El Paso, and that the MWC has to take that bowl over vs CUSA or something.

Can't forget about the new Rams stadium in LA.  Maybe the P12-ACC bowl game gets moved to Vegas and the P12-SEC bowl to the new Rams stadium unless it's the Rose Bowl that moves there.

Fiesta Bowl

Holiday Bowl

Sun Bowl

Copper Bowl

Independence Bowl

Vegas Bowl

Yeesh

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

The Sun Bowl has had great local support traditionally and regularly draws 40-50k.  Like all the other bowls, the BCS has changed everything.  I can't see it not pitting 2 P5 conferences against each other.  It has a prime time slot on CBS,  12pm MT on Dec 31st.  But,  who knows what the future of the playoff system is.  All i know is if there is a way for G5 to get pushed down, like the Vegas Bowl, it will happen.  

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Why would the MWC be excited about a 2nd, lower tier bowl game in Las Vegas, vs CUSA or someone?

Unless it is MWC vs a P5, it isn't going to be all that exciting.

Why not make it that?  MWC vs. 6th place team from the BI6 or ACC?

This is devastating to the MWC and just plain sucks.  There really is no current bowl tie-in (other than the Vegas Bowl) that you think that would be great to go to before the season even starts.  Going forward, the MWC might not get any games against 'Power 5' teams in bowls. 

I would be for the MWC doing something drastic that would draw interest.  Maybe look into an 8 team playoff with other conference(s) with the games hosted in desirable locations such as Vegas, San Diego, etc..and broadcast on streaming mediums such as Netflix, Facebook, etc...  If the MWC is going to get the boot from the traditional model then it is time to think outside of the box with an actual eye toward the future.  That said, I have no faith in Thompson doing anything.

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Can't forget about the new Rams stadium in LA.  Maybe the P12-ACC bowl game gets moved to Vegas and the P12-SEC bowl to the new Rams stadium unless it's the Rose Bowl that moves there.

The PAC12 is going to take new bowls in Las Vegas and Los Angeles at these new NFL stadiums.

Then the MWC will get whatever lower tier games the PAC12 dumps.

So, I think the MWC will inherit the Sun Bowl (vs a CUSA or AAC), and the maybe 1 other bowl.     The American Athletic Conference will also probably lose a P5 Bowl game.

Pac-12 Bowl Ties

The Rose Bowl is a College Football Playoff semifinal – there’s no rule that the Pac-12 gets a team in this season.

1. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12
2. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten
3. Foster Farms Bowl vs. Big Ten
4. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC
5. Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West
6. Cactus Bowl vs. Big 12

American Athletic Bowl Ties

The American Athletic Conference doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography.

AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. Sun Belt
 Boca Raton vs. Conference USA
 Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC
– Hawaii Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Frisco Bowl vs. Sun Belt
 Military Bowl vs. ACC
 Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl vs. Conference USA

The American Athletic has secondary partnerships with the AutoZone Liberty and Camping World Independence.

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

this isn't good news for BYU either as they have been to that bowl about as much as anyone

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, alum93 said:

The Sun Bowl has had great local support traditionally and regularly draws 40-50k. 

Like all the other bowls, the BCS has changed everything.  I can't see it not pitting 2 P5 conferences against each other.  It has a prime time slot on CBS,  12pm MT on Dec 31st.  But,  who knows what the future of the playoff system is.  All i know is if there is a way for G5 to get pushed down, like the Vegas Bowl, it will happen.  

The Sun Bowl will be a turd once it is MWC vs CUSA.   Right now it draws a lot because it is P5 vs P5.  

It will morph into New Mexico Bowl 2.0.

Boise is clearly the most marketable program in the league.

The Signature Bowl should have blue turf. No one can take that away.

Right now its MWC vs MAC.

Make it a "Champions Bowl" with the MWC and MAC sending their best teams, like the days when the MWC Champ played the CUSA Champ.

DRrut8zUMAAIQWd_euoytg.jpg

Just now, #1Stunner said:

The Sun Bowl will be a turd once it is MWC vs CUSA.   Right now it draws a lot because it is P5 vs P5.  

It will morph into New Mexico Bowl 2.0.

I don't think it happens.  They will hold on to P5 vs P5.