Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Going to Europe Tomorrow

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yeah, I confess that I haven't explored much of Germany and was only in Bavaria. It's not that I hated it, just wasn't anything that special. I try and eat local cuisine wherever I travel. Some of the best food I've had in Europe has been in France. Those fvckers know their way around the kitchen. Greece, Italy, and Spain are up there too. By in large, the further you go south, the better the food in my opinion. In spite of my heritage, I have to admit you just don't see that many Finnish restaurants in other countries. 

Definitely. The Mediterranean countries know what they're doing. Never been to Greece, but Spain and Italy are just incredible. I agree, the French are just on their own level. Probably seven of the best 10 meals of my life have been in France. Shit better be good if you're going to spend four hours out at dinner!

Edit: Yeah, I can't say that I know much about Finnish food. I assume a lot of fish, but you know, I have no idea.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Definitely. The Mediterranean countries know what they're doing. Never been to Greece, but Spain and Italy are just incredible. I agree, the French are just on their own level. Probably seven of the best 10 meals of my life have been in France. Shit better be good if you're going to spend four hours out at dinner!

Edit: Yeah, I can't say that I know much about Finnish food. I assume a lot of fish, but you know, I have no idea.

The best restaurant meal I've ever had was in Paris at a little tapas style restaurant in the Pigalle quarter. My God, I could have died after dinner that night and been good with everything. The place only sat like 20 people and the owner personally served everyone. Second best was at a hole in the wall seafood restaurant at the end of the Pelion Peninsula in Greece. Everything was fresh caught that day, no freezers in the restaurant. 

Re Finnish food, that's about it. A spice rack typically has salt, pepper, dill, and cardamom. Not much else. LOL

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Next time I go anywhere, it will be in the US and by myself.

Had you come to me first, I would have sent you on the trip of your life where you would have experienced amazing food, out of this world beer and cocktails, and hot horny women in Europe.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Had you come to me first, I would have sent you on the trip of your life where you would have experienced amazing food, out of this world beer and cocktails, and hot horny women in Europe.

I know that the next (read: first) time I travel out of the country, I'll be checking with you first. Though my wife would prefer that you leave out the hot horny women part. 

5 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Next time I go anywhere, it will be in the US and by myself.

Next year's thread....

"I'm in Louisiana and the food +++++ing sucks. The cajun food is too spicy, and I don't like crawfish, and the people having fun are too loud and annoying for me."

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I know that the next (read: first) time I travel out of the country, I'll be checking with you first. Though my wife would prefer that you leave out the hot horny women part. 

I should have also mentioned fascinating historical sites. Pompei, Rome, and Athens are musts. Prague is my favorite European city overall. 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I should have also mentioned fascinating historical sites. Pompei, Rome, and Athens are musts. Prague is my favorite European city overall. 

The history is the biggest reason why I want to visit Europe. The food is the next reason. ;) 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

The history is the biggest reason why I want to visit Europe. The food is the next reason. ;) 

I remember you almost had the chance to go to Budapest. It's a beautiful city with a lot to offer but it's been ravaged by war so not very many old medieval buildings left. The parliament building is what you normally see on photos of Budapest but it was actually constructed around 1900 or so. Prague is fantastic however, so amazing. And if you like beer, there's no better place in my opinion. I actually prefer Czech beer over German and Belgian. 

4 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I remember you almost had the chance to go to Budapest. It's a beautiful city with a lot to offer but it's been ravaged by war so not very many old medieval buildings left. The parliament building is what you normally see on photos of Budapest but it was actually constructed around 1900 or so. Prague is fantastic however, so amazing. And if you like beer, there's no better place in my opinion. I actually prefer Czech beer over German and Belgian. 

Prague is awesome, and Czech beer is excellent. I mean, I want to cut you for saying it is better than German beer. But I accept your right to be wrong.

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Germany has many of the same issues. Much of the country has been rebuilt after WWII, especially in the major cities, so while many of its buildings look old, they're often really reconstructions. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Prague is awesome, and Czech beer is excellent. I mean, I want to cut you for saying it is better than German beer. But I accept your right to be wrong.

Without question, the Kozel dark lager is the best beer I've ever had. I practically fell to my knees, thanked God, and wept the first time I tasted it. 

974b6121aaaecfeee83b860e4feb8983.jpg

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It was Debrecen, but close enough. +++++ HPE for +++++ing that up for me. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Without question, the Kozel dark lager is the best beer I've ever had. I practically fell to my knees, thanked God, and wept the first time I tasted it. 

974b6121aaaecfeee83b860e4feb8983.jpg

That's because you clearly have questionable taste in beer. 

Joking aside, Bavarian and Czech beers are on par. But I am hopelessly biased, and I love a good German doppelbock (if you like malty, which you clearly do).

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That's because you clearly have questionable taste in beer. 

Joking aside, Bavarian and Czech beers are on par. But I am hopelessly biased, and I love a good German doppelbock (if you like malty, which you clearly do).

Haha -- I do like doppelbocks for sure. For a standard lighter lager, Estrella makes a pretty damn good beer. You can get it in the US now. 

beer-glassware-beer.jpg

With a young kid, I haven't had a chance to travel internationally much in recent years. But this thread has made me realized how much I miss it. Another few years, though, and I will be able to take her to these places, which I think will be its own joy.

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Germany has many of the same issues. Much of the country has been rebuilt after WWII, especially in the major cities, so while many of its buildings look old, they're often really reconstructions. 

When I lived in Munich, Budvar was the German's favorite import.  Still remember the rusty bottle caps. The commies hadn't figured out how to line them with plastic so they didn't corrode.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke