Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Good Job Trump

President Trump has ended the life sentence of a grandmother who has been in federal prison for more than 20 years for a first-time drug conviction.

Trump granted Alice Marie Johnson clemency after reality TV star Kim Kardashian West personally lobbied for her release during a visit to the White House.

In a tweet Wednesday, Kardashian West wrote "BEST NEWS EVER!!!!" with a link to an article about the commutation.

https://www.npr.org/617513060

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, rudolro said:

I'm confused. Didn't Obama commute sentences for the same type of crimes?  Trump and other Republicans had a problem with him doing it. Now it's ok, help me understand.

I never had an issue with Obama commuting those types of sentences.  I did take issue with his commuting the sentence of Manning and I’ve taken issue with Trump’s pardon of Arapio or however you spell his name.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Two things:

1) Holy shit. Kim Kardashian has sway over a president.

2) As a Nevada fan, I find your celebration of a grandma's release from prison to be troubling.

Whoa there. Her being released gives us the opportunity to push her down. It’s great training for our new bandwagon fans. 

This is where the resistance went completely wrong. Just flatter this idiot and he’ll do exactly what you want to be liked. We could have had single payer, UBI, a moonshot commitment to green energy, reparations, and a bunch of poor bankers from 2008 thrown in prison by now.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, mugtang said:

Whoa there. Her being released gives us the opportunity to push her down. It’s great training for our new bandwagon fans. 

You make an interesting point. Though, a grandma who just finished a stint in the pokey seems like a job for us more experienced alumni. 

I don't really have a problem with this one.  Even though I can't stand all things Kardashian, this woman was in jail 20 years.  Its not like she got off easy. 

I don't care for Martha Stewart, not sure why Trump wants to help her out but if he does, I don't really care. 

And as far as Blagojevich, if he gets his sentence commuted it won't bother me because he has been in jail for years as well.  What he did imo is not as bad as what Menendez of NJ did and he got off scot free. 

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I never had an issue with Obama commuting those types of sentences.  I did take issue with his commuting the sentence of Manning and I’ve taken issue with Trump’s pardon of Arapio or however you spell his name.  

I believe the correct spelling is d-o-u-c-h-e-b-a-g.

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I wasn't singling you out. Sorry if I made it seem that way.  It just more double standard that's going on with the GOP and Trump.  It's just driving me crazy. I guess we aren't going see any consistency coming from the government anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, rudolro said:

I'm confused. Didn't Obama commute sentences for the same type of crimes?  Trump and other Republicans had a problem with him doing it. Now it's ok, help me understand.

They did? I don't remember that. Do you have a link explaining their position?

I remember their being anger over Manning, and releasing the 5 terrorists for Bergdahl. I don't remember anyone being mad at clemency for nonviolent drug offenses. But if I am I'd like to see it. 

13 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

They did? I don't remember that. Do you have a link explaining their position?

I remember their being anger over Manning, and releasing the 5 terrorists for Bergdahl. I don't remember anyone being mad at clemency for nonviolent drug offenses. But if I am I'd like to see it. 

I was going off memory. I found this.

Full disclosure I'm not a fan of any pardons. Like Beretta said if you can't do the time don't do the crime.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/obama-clemency-pardons-drug-offenders

26 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is where the resistance went completely wrong. Just flatter this idiot and he’ll do exactly what you want to be liked. We could have had single payer, UBI, a moonshot commitment to green energy, reparations, and a bunch of poor bankers from 2008 thrown in prison by now.

You don't think there's some good cop bad cop going on among those on the left?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You don't think there's some good cop bad cop going on among those on the left?

Is Kim the good cop or the bad cop?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Is Kim the good cop or the bad cop?

Chuck Schumer will be the good cop if and when it comes time.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

41 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Two things:

1) Holy shit. Kim Kardashian has sway over a president.

2) As a Nevada fan, I find your celebration of a grandma's release from prison to be troubling.

How long was she doing this and how much money was involved?  She must have been moving a hell of a lot of cocaine to have to launder money.  Not your typical grandma who didn't realize she was innocently passing on cocaine for others.  Just another political move by that SOB Trump.    

"Johnson was convicted on cocaine conspiracy charges and money laundering. At the time of sentencing, AP reported that U.S. federal judge Julia Gibbons said Johnson was "the quintessential entrepreneur" of a drug ring that dealt in tons of cocaine."

10 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Didn't Trump also call for the death penalty for some drug dealers?  Does this conflict with that?

Forgot about that.  But yes, you're right he did.