Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

San Jose State 2019 Commits

On 6/27/2018 at 9:46 PM, badfish said:

C’mon, you’re starting to sound like Boise fans when guys with offers to Boise commit to UNR. You can’t win em all.

I have no idea whether he does or doesn't, and it really makes no difference either way. Boise has lost out to most MW schools for a recruits at one point or another. Shoot, we even had one de-commit to sign with Utah State and another one sign with Boise only to ask for a release so he could sign with UNLV. So it definitely happens. We'll likely never know on this one because the coaches won't say anything.

Having said that, you are one of the more reasonable posters on this board and follow recruiting as much as anyone on here. Since scouting services can only talk to coaches, recruits, and their parents, there is often fabricated/false information that is out there and it's generally fairly easy to spot. If a recruit has a slew of FCS offers, then an offer from Oregon, and he signs with Northern Arizona, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the Oregon offer didn't exist. With this particular recruit, he has never tweeted about Boise or receiving an offer. He has never tripped to Boise. He has never camped at Boise. In my memory Boise hasn't ever signed a player out of Auburn, CA so I can't imagine there is a connection there. On the flip side Boise hasn't signed a player that low rated that wasn't either local or a kicker since Harsin's first make-shift class and all the players that have committed this year have dozens of offers and every one has, at least, one P5 offer. I'm certain that last comment is going to come across as pompous and arrogant, but those are facts.

In the end, I have no idea, but it would be a very bizarre offer to say the least. You can generally trace these things to figure out the contact point, but this would be completely out of the blue.

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I have no idea whether he does or doesn't, and it really makes no difference either way. Boise has lost out to most MW schools for a recruits at one point or another. Shoot, we even had one de-commit to sign with Utah State and another one sign with Boise only to ask for a release so he could sign with UNLV. So it definitely happens. We'll likely never know on this one because the coaches won't say anything.

Having said that, you are one of the more reasonable posters on this board and follow recruiting as much as anyone on here. Since scouting services can only talk to coaches, recruits, and their parents, there is often fabricated/false information that is out there and it's generally fairly easy to spot. If a recruit has a slew of FCS offers, then an offer from Oregon, and he signs with Northern Arizona, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the Oregon offer didn't exist. With this particular recruit, he has never tweeted about Boise or receiving an offer. He has never tripped to Boise. He has never camped at Boise. In my memory Boise hasn't ever signed a player out of Auburn, CA so I can't imagine there is a connection there. On the flip side Boise hasn't signed a player that low rated that wasn't either local or a kicker since Harsin's first make-shift class and all the players that have committed this year have dozens of offers and every one has, at least, one P5 offer. I'm certain that last comment is going to come across as pompous and arrogant, but those are facts.

In the end, I have no idea, but it would be a very bizarre offer to say the least. You can generally trace these things to figure out the contact point, but this would be completely out of the blue.

I totally get what you’re saying, but I usually take the recruit’s word. I don’t see any possible gain in fabricating an offer somewhere else. But who knows, these are teenagers we’re talking about. 

Boise gets the star power and high ranked guys, but I’ve learned to trust veteran coaches’ eye for talent as well. Our OL coach for instance has done tremendous work with lower level recruits. When we get an OL commit with no other offers, I trust he knows what potential he sees and what he can work with. Wouldn’t make a difference to me if he had a Boise/Oregon St/BYU offer. Honestly, I get more excited for Ivy League and Academy offers. It shows he is willing to put in the extra work and typically isn’t a knucklehead.

1 hour ago, badfish said:

I totally get what you’re saying, but I usually take the recruit’s word. I don’t see any possible gain in fabricating an offer somewhere else. But who knows, these are teenagers we’re talking about. 

Boise gets the star power and high ranked guys, but I’ve learned to trust veteran coaches’ eye for talent as well. Our OL coach for instance has done tremendous work with lower level recruits. When we get an OL commit with no other offers, I trust he knows what potential he sees and what he can work with. Wouldn’t make a difference to me if he had a Boise/Oregon St/BYU offer. Honestly, I get more excited for Ivy League and Academy offers. It shows he is willing to put in the extra work and typically isn’t a knucklehead.

Sure, but I'm not sure the recruit even said it. There was nary a mention on his Twitter. It could have been a coach or a family member. 

I'm not suggesting that higher ratings equals better players. Wyoming and Utah State are two of the better teams in the conference and both generally end up near the bottom of the rankings. Boise gets high rated players now, but they were built on low rated kids. I was just pointing out the players they go after now. 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Looks like we got another commit out of Fresno. Josh Kelley, 6’3 3* WR out of Bullard HS. Also had an offer from UNR.

Kelly played at Bullard his freshman and sophomore years. He then transferred to San Joaquin Memorial, and is currently teamed up with QB Alec Trujillo, another SJSU commit. They could be coming to SJSU as a nice package deal.

Champ Logo.jpg

On 6/29/2018 at 3:42 PM, kingpotato said:

Ryan Dinwiddie was 6'0" 160#s when he signed with Boise and had almost no athletic ability. He left college as the all time leader in passing efficiency. Kellen Moore was 6'0" 170#s with NO athletic ability and is currently the all time wins leader. Size is less of an issue at the college level.

Those two also had the advantage of rampant steroid abuse by the entire team, and thousands of illegal practices. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

18 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Those two also had the advantage of rampant steroid abuse by the entire team, and thousands of illegal practices. 

All because Dinwiddie came to your house spanked that ass! Jealousy will never help you! Lol

Nice to see SJSU bringing in some offensive linemen with poundage. I'll take a cautious attitude about them to see if they get any other offers of note by December but Rocky Long has sold me on the value of big boys up front. The Tom Craft approach of having lighter guys who are allegedly quicker was a dismal failure so unless you're an option team, my opinion is that's just dum.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Nice to see SJSU bringing in some offensive linemen with poundage. I'll take a cautious attitude about them to see if they get any other offers of note by December but Rocky Long has sold me on the value of big boys up front. The Tom Craft approach of having lighter guys who are allegedly quicker was a dismal failure so unless you're an option team, my opinion is that's just dum.

How true!

16 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

New verbal

3-star WR Malikhi Miller (6-4 / 185) El Cerrito HS / El Cerrito, CA 

It’s so cute how you guys keep trying. 

Good for you Sharta. 

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

If this kid is truly a 3-star player, there's no way his only other offer would be from Sac State.

C’mon man. This is all Mike has to hang on to. 

38 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

Verbal this weekend

3-star RB Adi Anderson (5-11 / 195) McClymonds HS / Oakland, CA (transferred from Moreau Catholic HS)

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5679852/5a00dfd4664be12618efea69

These poor saps must have no other FBS options. At least they get a free education.