Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Who is Coach Muss going to kick off the team

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

Well, been speculated for a while but now it's official:

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2018/06/22/nevadas-josh-hall-who-hit-game-winner-against-cincinnati-transfer/726351002/

Gonna really miss Josh, he had some great Wolf Pack moments:(

He signed up for both summer sessions which probably means there is a grade problem.  Can't transfer without the grades.  Not something Murray would likely mention in his article. 

2 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

He signed up for both summer sessions which probably means there is a grade problem.  Can't transfer without the grades.  Not something Murray would likely mention in his article. 

Yes. He was mentioned about being one of the scholarship players that were out because of his grades a few weeks before everyone returned. It wasn't made public, and I'm glad they kept it under wraps. Good luck to Josh.

30 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

He just announced he is transferring to Missouri State.

Josh Hall would have been a solid pick up for us, but we filled that spot with someone else.  Hope he does well at Missouri State.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, soupslam1 said:

Aren’t most college players on a year to year scholarship basis? If someone is recruited that is better than the last guys on the totem pole their scholarship is not renewed. I have no problem with that as long as the players are told that from the start. Coaches are paid to win. If they don’t they get fired. They should have the option to let poorer players go. Caring coaches will find a landing spot for them. 

Woah bud.  

It is not so simple.  Don’t forget they are student athletes.  They committed to a university, they enrolled in classes and are working towards a degree.  Transferring when a scholarship is pulled is a big deal to a 20 year old kid.  His life just got turned upside down.  Remember, not all credits transfer and losing A year sucks.  This is not a pro league.  These kids should have their education needs met.  

13 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Good luck to josh. Tear up the Valley.

I think he will excel at Missouri State, I will never forget his great clutch shots in the NCAA's especially the one against Cincinnati in the final 9 seconds.:thumbsup:

On 06/23/2018 at 8:17 AM, slappy said:

Woah bud.  

It is not so simple.  Don’t forget they are student athletes.  They committed to a university, they enrolled in classes and are working towards a degree.  Transferring when a scholarship is pulled is a big deal to a 20 year old kid.  His life just got turned upside down.  Remember, not all credits transfer and losing A year sucks.  This is not a pro league.  These kids should have their education needs met.  

I agree up to the point of becoming ineligible.  If you lose a scholarship because of grades and then credits when you leave, it's on you.

Losing credits if you just want to transfer sucks whether  you're student athlete or just a student.  But that's the system every student operates under.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 6/23/2018 at 8:17 AM, slappy said:

Woah bud.  

They committed to a university....to play basketball. In order to do that, they are expected to keep their grades up....if they can't and they're ineligible, then that puts the coach and team in a bad situation. It's a two way street. 

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

They committed to a university....to play basketball. In order to do that, they are expected to keep their grades up....if they can't and they're ineligible, then that puts the coach and team in a bad situation. It's a two way street. 

I wonder if Josh would have left even if we weren't over the scholarship limit?

I also wonder if he wanted to stay,  could he have gotten himself eligible over the summer and played next season if someone else left?

I hate to see him go. He was getting better right under our eyes.  And he really stepped up after Drew went down. The progress he made in two seasons was impressive.  Too bad we won't get to see the next two.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

I believe Josh wanted to leave all along..Once the Martins and Caroline came back he knew he wouldn't be a starter.  I don't blame him for that.  If Drew can come back and play Hall would see reduced minutes even off the bench. 

I am bummed though because I think he is a better player than any of the three guards who sat out last year.  They are all good players but Hall would have provided more versatility. 

Still, there is a good nucleus in place and there will be spirited practices to determine minutes and roles.  Muss adapts his team to what he has to work with.   I am really interested to see how this team will play this year.

I remember during the season a lot of people were worried that Hall may transfer. He didn't take as big of a step forward as people hoped, and had a limited role. That changed towards the end of the season, and certainly in the tournament. But he may have been planning to transfer for awhile.

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree up to the point of becoming ineligible.  If you lose a scholarship because of grades and then credits when you leave, it's on you.

Losing credits if you just want to transfer sucks whether  you're student athlete or just a student.  But that's the system every student operates under.

6 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Not talking academic or personal issues.  Was referring to taking a scholarship to improve a roster.  Don’t disagree with a young man messing up, but totally disagree with a coach taking back a scholarship for competitive reasons.