Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Who is Coach Muss going to kick off the team

3 minutes ago, fbpack said:

Im not buying josh hall being ineligible. He is the least productive of the returning players thats why he is the odd man out

I’ve gone back and forth on this but ultimately will find out the truth unless he’s academically eligible I don’t believe he can transfer. The reason MLE never arrived to Reno. He wasn’t academically eligible after finishing his semester at Rice thus Nevada couldn’t take him. 

5 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

I’ve gone back and forth on this but ultimately will find out the truth unless he’s academically eligible I don’t believe he can transfer. The reason MLE never arrived to Reno. He wasn’t academically eligible after finishing his semester at Rice thus Nevada couldn’t take him. 

Im sure that would leave the door open for having him pay his way and be back on scholarship next year that would be the best scenario for pack fans

45 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Uh....the other three were starters on other teams. :blink:

And highly sought after transfers.

One concern I do have in regards to next years team is 3 point shooting.  We don't really have a replacement for Kendal Stephens. 

Jazz Johnson is a very good 3pt shooter.  I'm guessing he'll be this team's version of Ray Kramer with point guard skills. 

I'm also hoping the big 3 improve their 3pt shooting during the off-season, especially Jordan and Cody.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

No need to redshirt the freshmen they should be able to get a fair amount of play time next year. I have no doubt that Nevada will be up big in enough games to give them some valuable game experience.They will need that experience for the following year as possibly the only returning bigs.

27 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

No need to redshirt the freshmen they should be able to get a fair amount of play time next year. I have no doubt that Nevada will be up big in enough games to give them some valuable game experience.They will need that experience for the following year as possibly the only returning bigs.

You don’t get experience redshirting? They’d be practicing everyday with a top 5/10 team. Muss loves transfers because of the redshirt year. Or as they call it the development year.

26 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

You don’t get experience redshirting? They’d be practicing everyday with a top 5/10 team. Muss loves transfers because of the redshirt year. Or as they call it the development year.

Game experience is much different than practice. D-1 Hostile environment, hostile fans, unfamiliar opponents, team chemistry etc. Transfers already have 2 to 3 years of D-1 game experience so they are already to contribute. When is the last time we actually redshirted a freshman under Muss.

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Uh....the other three were starters on other teams. :blink:

Portland

Wagner

Bryant

I'm telling/ warning you guys, transfers from BAD low major programs are suspect at best. We got ( somewhat) lucky with Watson but it took most of the season before he wasn't a defensive liability. he had trouble with bigger athletes. He's still not stellar. Grad transfers from mediocre programs are also suspect.  if you lose Hall and Drew is still hobbled, you'll have a team that looks good in the layup line  but few reserves to call upon when the season gets long. Ideally, Drew comes back and you can get your young stud plenty of PT.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Portland

Wagner

Bryant

I'm telling/ warning you guys, transfers from BAD low major programs are suspect at best. We got ( somewhat) lucky with Watson but it took most of the season before he wasn't a defensive liability. he had trouble with bigger athletes. He's still not stellar. Grad transfers from mediocre programs are also suspect.  if you lose Hall and Drew is still hobbled, you'll have a team that looks good in the layup line  but few reserves to call upon when the season gets long. Ideally, Drew comes back and you can get your young stud plenty of PT.

I like our chances with them. On the Costa Rica trip they stood out a ton IMO. 

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Portland

Wagner

Bryant

You do realize these guys have practiced with the team for a year? Muss knows what he has with those kids both good and bad. I do hope Drew comes back. 

11 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Portland

Wagner

Bryant

I don't buy this, I think Muss knows what to look for in low mid major prospects. Jordan Caroline averaged 9 points a game before he came to Nevada from SIU. In 2016 he averaged 15 and 2017 almost 18. The year before Marcus Marshall came in for one year from MOSU and averaged almost 20 in 2016. Muss has got this.

1 minute ago, wolf from 73 said:

I don't buy this, I think Muss knows what to look for in low mid major prospects. Jordan Caroline averaged 9 points a game before he came to Nevada from SIU. In 2016 he averaged 15 and 2017 almost 18. The year before Marcus Marshall came in for one year from MOSU and averaged almost 20 in 2016. Muss has got this.

I get the argument but I don’t get how recruiting high school or Jucos provide guarantees. Fact is, all recruiting is a crap shoot. Muss says that he likes recruiting this way because he has tons of tape on these kids against D1 programs. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

You do realize these guys have practiced with the team for a year? Muss knows what he has with those kids both good and bad. I do hope Drew comes back. 

When the bullets start flying it's different.  We'll see

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

I was going to say that Jordan Caroline and Marcus Marshall have worked out pretty well.

You guys need Drew to come back.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was going to say that Jordan Caroline and Marcus Marshall have worked out pretty well.

Maybe lightning does strike 5 times

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

This team will go as far as the Martins, Caroline, Brown and Porter take them..The rest were brought in to be subs..They are important players for depth but they aren't needed to be stars by any stretch..I think Thurman will be quite helpful because he is big, tough and really bouncy..The guard transfers are short but can shoot..Muss can ride whoever has the hot hand between those 3.  They are really going to miss Drew if he can't go though..

17 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Portland

Wagner

Bryant

And just because someone comes from a bad low major team, that doesn't mean that they aren't good.....just as someone from a big program doesn't mean they will be good. It's all about evaluating the talent and I think I'll trust Muss' judgement on this.