Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Basketball preseason rank ‘em

17 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’m not worried at all about UNLV next year.

Neither am I.

'Cause I know that just like for the last 10 seasons you won't be winning a conference title.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 hours ago, AztecSU said:

McDaniels, Watson, Hemsley, Mitchell, Narain. Schakel, Seiko, and the Mensah’s off the bench. 

Has McDaniels made a decision yet? I hadn't seen that he had.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Neither am I.

'Cause I know that just like for the last 10 seasons you won't be winning a conference title.

You should be.  They’ll be improved.  Wait until 2019-20.  Prepare thy anus.

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Has McDaniels made a decision yet? I hadn't seen that he had.

He and the Mrartin twins announced yesterday they were coming back.  

20 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

thanks, looks like your roster will be improved. looking forward to seeing them play.

"Improved" is yet to be seen. It's definitely more uncertain than it was going into last year. They could be really good, but they would need a lot out of 2 or 3 of the new guys coming in. They should be a more diverse scoring team.

32 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

-Roderick Williams- 4**** and 2nd ranked JC player in the country. He'll likely be a starter from day one.
-Patrick Dembley- Averaged 20 ppg and 4 apg in JC. Should compete for the starting PG spot. 34th ranked JC player.
-Jayscon Bereal- 3*** and #1 ranked player out of Oklahoma. Huge upside with a mountain of athleticism. Probably the guy fans are excited most about. Not sure how much he'll contribute immediately. Had over 20 offers. Coach interviewed locally and said there were several high level P5s that were waiting to see whether he was going to play football or basketball in college. They came in too late after he was solidly committed to Boise.
-Riley Abercrombie- He'll be a stretch 4 in Leon's offense. Had 30 D-1 offers. Another Auzzie. He seems like a taller Drmic type.
-Mikey Frazier-3*** center that can shoot the 3 ball. He looks like he needs to lose some weight. With three SR bigs on the team he is a likely RS candidate. 
-Max Rice- (Leon's son). Technically a walk-on because he gets free tuition anyway. He had multiple WCC scholly offers as well as a walk-on offer from Gonzaga.

They are going to need some contributions from some of the new guys. But with the three servicable bigs, Jessup, Hobbs, and Dickinson they have a solid group to build around. Heading into league play last year, it was Jessup leading the team in scoring, not Hutch. They'll need Jessup and Hobbs to step up in scoring. Boise has finished top-3 for four straight years and Leon's teams have finished higher than they were predicted 7 of his 8 years here, so they'll be up there again. I think they'll be solidly behind UNR and UNM. I'm still waiting to see if McDaniels comes back or not, but Boise's track record along with what they have coming back should put them near the top.

But, honestly, you could almost cut and paste this thread annually for Boise. This board is historically down on Boise basketball pre-season. They get bottom half predictions regularly. 

McDaniels announced he was coming back before the twins did.

Edit: beat me to it.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:15 PM, 4UNLV said:

educate me about boise, please. who's coming in? I honestly don't know..

Help me back. UNLV has a nice class coming in by MW standards, but seems less impressive than their usual. Losing three of their top four players seems like a lot to make up. Help me out. 

Nevada is the class of MWC this year until proven otherwise.  This team has 4 realistic NBA propects plus an array of very good players proven at the D-1 college level.  They have the talent to make a run at the National title. 

The Aztecs moved ahead of the Lobos with some late recruiting.  This could be a very good SDSU team.

The Lobos hopes of a championship rise on 2 big ifs and 2 small ifs..............If 6-9 PF Carlton Bragg rises to his potential and Keith McGee PG becomes academically eligible to play.  Small ...... Lyle (SG) and Jackson (SF) integate with the existing Lobos to meet expectations and the Lobos keep the momentum going from last year.

I put Boise in 4th hoping for a slip of the top 3.

Fresno is a dark horse in the race.

Utah State, CSU, Wyoming, UNLV will jockey for respect.

Undersized and out manned AF will play tough winning a few game it should not.

SJSU will be terrible -- as usual.

1 hour ago, rotashark said:

Undersized and out manned AF will play tough winning a few game it should not....

Interesting to see how it plays out this year and next for Air Force. Air Force will start all Juniors and maybe one sophomore.   There is a possibility starting one senior (only senior on the team) or he will come off the bench. Note this includes the top 2 scorers (as sophomores) last year during Mountain West Conference play. All these guys will be back next year (19-20) as well except for the one lone senior has juniors are now committed and cannot leave the Academy without a commitment.

Will be interesting to see what Air Force does during the next two years and may indeed surprise. Same for the Air Force women which include last year's Mountain West Conference freshman of the year.

..GO FALCONS..

On 6/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, kingpotato said:

Help me back. UNLV has a nice class coming in by MW standards, but seems less impressive than their usual. Losing three of their top four players seems like a lot to make up. Help me out. 

We have Robotham to replace Johnson.  Hamilton is very polished for being 17 years old.  He will be able to step on for Mooring right away.  Ntambwe is a point forward type, and he will be an upgrade at the three over Kris Clyburn.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

We have RobotHam to replace Johnson.  Hamilton is very polished for being 17 years old.  He will be able to step on for Mooring right away.  Ntambwe is a point forward type, and he will be an upgrade at the three over Kris Clyburn.

RobotHam.jpg

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I never root against MWC teams. I'm going to make an exception this year.  Reno fans choking on karma is going to be fun.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I never root against MWC teams. I'm going to make an exception this year.  Reno fans choking on karma is going to be fun.

I have the same feeling for SDSU in football and bball 

On 5/31/2018 at 6:41 AM, Sputnik46 said:

On paper this is a legit 3–bid league next year.  Football looks equally strong.  MWC is definitely trending upward.

The MWC is not a 3 bid league.  It's a 1 to 2 bid league.  The bottom half drags the RPI down, and just as importantly the power conference are taking more and more bids.  Last year was one bid until Nevada was upset in MWC tourney.  It will probably be the same again this year, with Nevada the cream of the crop.  Even assuming improvement from schools like UNM and UNLV, you have to schedule up to get the RPI.  That didn't happen.  Congrats to Nevada on the twins returning.  Now they have to take advantage of the shot.