Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

You Have to Read These Golden Knights Predictions

26 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I am sure the Raiders will sell out pretty much every game, but I don't see the locals buying into them like VGK .  I personally will never be able to root for the Raiders.  Their fans are the worst in American sports and are going to cause real issues on the Strip during game weekends.  I really wish we would have done this with the Chargers instead.  I could have bought into them.  Either that or re-brand the Raiders into a new franchise ala Browns/Ravens.

On the flip, I thnk the VGK success this year is going to speed up getting an NBA franchise.  It's a basketball town and potential owners have to be salivating about gettting a franchise here stat after seeing the support VGK has gotten from locals.  I originally thought VGK may hurt our NBA chances, but hey....winning every freaking game out of the chute does wonders for support.  It is quite frankly, an unexpected gift to the city in more ways than just VGK.

If the NBA does an expansion here, I really could see that hurting the Knights. If it is a relocation, it might not be as bad. Still I have to wonder whether the NBA really believes this market can support 3 pro teams.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

If the NBA does an expansion here, I really could see that hurting the Knights. If it is a relocation, it might not be as bad. Still I have to wonder whether the NBA really believes this market can support 3 pro teams.

We should just go after the clippers and Re-brand the franchise.  No idea why they still want to play in LA/staples when they could own an entire market by themselves.   I would be cool with expansion just the same.  

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Denver supports 4 and has since it was half the size. I think Vegas can, especially with SoCal being right there. I have to imagine that Idaho and Wyoming and Utah will look at Vegas teams as another "local" team to split their interest with. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Denver supports 4 and has since it was half the size. I think Vegas can, especially with SoCal being right there. I have to imagine that Idaho and Wyoming and Utah will look at Vegas teams as another "local" team to split their interest with. 

well yeah,but CSU owns the denver market. the other teams there are just amateurs, striving for just a small part of the market.

There is a ton of fan angst, bruised feelings and general dismay over how the VGK season ended up..........Fans bitching right and left about the NHL rigging the expansion draft, the refs being homers for the VGK, the "Vegas Flu" that afflicted visiting teams and on and on.

It's glorious :str8pimp:

4 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

I am sure the Raiders will sell out pretty much every game, but I don't see the locals buying into them like VGK .  I personally will never be able to root for the Raiders.  Their fans are the worst in American sports and are going to cause real issues on the Strip during game weekends.  I really wish we would have done this with the Chargers instead.  I could have bought into them.  Either that or re-brand the Raiders into a new franchise ala Browns/Ravens.

On the flip, I thnk the VGK success this year is going to speed up getting an NBA franchise.  It's a basketball town and potential owners have to be salivating about gettting a franchise here stat after seeing the support VGK has gotten from locals.  I originally thought VGK may hurt our NBA chances, but hey....winning every freaking game out of the chute does wonders for support.  It is quite frankly, an unexpected gift to the city in more ways than just VGK.

Agree for the most part - being a long time KC Chiefs fan (admit my Chiefs fire has waned over the decades) there was no worse team to land in LV than the hated Raiders......I could have even accepted the Chargers over the Raiders......if a team had to relocate why couldn't it have been the Jaguars a team I have no feeling about one way or the other and might have got behind pretty fast - I like the idea of leaving "RAIDERS" in Oakland & re-upping the teams as a new franchise with no history - That I might have accepted better.

VGK is nice because they are 1st ever and they are expansion with no history other that OURS & we aren't stealing or co-opting a vagabond team like the Raiders.

I think the door is open for the NBA........now with the WNBA here and MGM's Murren making open comments on NBA coming - Again a relocated NBA team might be a hard sell to some fans vs a new expansion team 

Winning helps everything and the VGK won bigly and are enjoying the massive local bandwagon............question is how will fans react if/when the VGK begin to slide down the standings and if there is an NBA team will the VGK be the odd team out??

Not worried about the Raiders crowds, they could have built the stadium in Searchlight and drawn a good crowd, as a good % will be coming from out of the area & they do have a diehard following that goes comes with the team 

Now we just need to lure the Oakland Athletics and we'd be in hog heaven !!! 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Not sure how the TV ratings have been, but the VGK did grab rights to all of NV and parts of Idaho, Utah, Montana & Wyoming - Even the Colorado River part of CA where there is little population 

I was wondering how Reno / Northern NV people have taken to the VGK if they supplanted the SJ Sharks on the TV 

9 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure how the TV ratings have been, but the VGK did grab rights to all of NV and parts of Idaho, Utah, Montana & Wyoming - Even the Colorado River part of CA where there is little population 

I was wondering how Reno / Northern NV people have taken to the VGK if they supplanted the SJ Sharks on the TV 

Ive been seeing more and more VGK gear up here in Reno. I know a lot of Sharks fans and its been split. Some are rooting for VGK and some are calling us bandwagon fans and are bitter as hell.

6 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

Ive been seeing more and more VGK gear up here in Reno. I know a lot of Sharks fans and its been split. Some are rooting for VGK and some are calling us bandwagon fans and are bitter as hell.

lots of ex-Vegas people in Reno. or with  ties to Vegas.

Archie's was rocking for the LVGK during the Winnipeg series.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

2 hours ago, easybronc said:

How did they come up with such a lame name as Golden Knights?

Did some 5th grader win a prize for coming up with that?

The owner was Army. West Point. I'll leave the rest up to you in this age of boundless accessibility to information .

18 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Definitely a good amount of support up here. Need to get myself some gear actually too

8k3esKz.png

Guest RoscoesDad
3 hours ago, easybronc said:

The nickname is the only thing I'd change.  It's really lame and lazy imo.  But hey, when you win it don't matter as much and it leaves the best nickname in pro sports ever (Neon) open for the NBA team and I am OK with that.

20 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Pittsburgh loves their Flower...

7 hours ago, easybronc said:

I hated the name when it was first announced but have grown to love it. If you think about it most team names sound stupid initially. Can you imagine hearing Detroit red wings for the first time or Utah Jazz. When russel Simmons came up with the name RUN DMC Darrel and Run hated it but you you hear it today it sounds cool. 

Ovechkin and the Capitols won't go down easy. Good luck Vegas! 

6 hours ago, JohnAdams said:

I hated the name when it was first announced but have grown to love it. If you think about it most team names sound stupid initially. Can you imagine hearing Detroit red wings for the first time or Utah Jazz. When russel Simmons came up with the name RUN DMC Darrel and Run hated it but you you hear it today it sounds cool. 

Yup.

Only thing I really liked out the gate was the logo.

The Jerseys and name are set now. Love em both.

Especially the white jerseys on the ice. Man they are sharp as hell with the white gloves.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

I've been a huge hockey fan all my life, lived in Buffalo for a few years and attended a ton of Sabres games, played a ton of hockey as well.  After the Knights roster was finalized I didn't really recognize half the players on the roster and I too thought they would suck.  Nate Schmidt was the 6th/7th defenseman on the Caps last year and was a healthy scratch over 20 times, now he's the Knights #1 DMan. Karlsson had 45 total points for the BJ's over the previous 2 seasons, 162 games, this year alone he had 43 GOALS. Its crazy.  I've said all along that this team plays harder than any team I've seen in a long time, maybe since my Sabres teams of 05-07.  McPhee did a tremendous job, he also led the Caps to the Stanley Cup final his first year there as well. He'll have his work cut out for him in the off-season as the Knights have several key free agents that currently aren't getting paid that much, and when free agents are on a team that does this well, they tend to say "show me the money".  William Karlsson alone only makes $1 million, he'll most likely command in upwards of $6-7 mil possibly more.  Of course that probably won't matter much if the Knights win it all.

2 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

I've been a huge hockey fan all my life, lived in Buffalo for a few years and attended a ton of Sabres games, played a ton of hockey as well.  After the Knights roster was finalized I didn't really recognize half the players on the roster and I too thought they would suck.  Nate Schmidt was the 6th/7th defenseman on the Caps last year and was a healthy scratch over 20 times, now he's the Knights #1 DMan. Karlsson had 45 total points for the BJ's over the previous 2 seasons, 162 games, this year alone he had 43 GOALS. Its crazy.  I've said all along that this team plays harder than any team I've seen in a long time, maybe since my Sabres teams of 05-07.  McPhee did a tremendous job, he also led the Caps to the Stanley Cup final his first year there as well. He'll have his work cut out for him in the off-season as the Knights have several key free agents that currently aren't getting paid that much, and when free agents are on a team that does this well, they tend to say "show me the money".  William Karlsson alone only makes $1 million, he'll most likely command in upwards of $6-7 mil possibly more.  Of course that probably won't matter much if the Knights win it all.

Yup not only the Karlsson contract, but what does he do about Neal and Perron too? Offseason will be interesting. 

But we got a cup to win first.