Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Parents suing to evict 30 year old kid from house

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Those of you with kids, hypothetically, what would you do if they were still living at home in their late 20s, but they’re working and otherwise being generally responsible? I have a friend like this, and while he seems to have a good relationship with his parents (nothing like the asshole in the article), something about it seems really unhealthy.

I agree with what Joe said below. Sometimes life/shit happens and people need a little help to get back on their feet. As long as they're putting in the effort to find a job or temporary working an "under-employment" job while in transition, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I think it's great -- even if the son or daughter is in their 30s or 40s or whatever. The bigger issue is long-term coddling and dependency for a child who refuses to grow up and become responsible for themselves.

6 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Honestly, as long as they're productive I don't see a problem. Look at somewhere like the Bay Area where they might be pulling in 160K as a software engineer but still may struggle to find a place to live. If the dude is just living there, living off of them like he's a HS student on summer break, then throw him out. But if the dude is being responsible, well, if they are cool with it, I don't see a problem. 

Bingo.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
14 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Those of you with kids, hypothetically, what would you do if they were still living at home in their late 20s, but they’re working and otherwise being generally responsible? I have a friend like this, and while he seems to have a good relationship with his parents (nothing like the asshole in the article), something about it seems really unhealthy.

I think it could be OK for a while, if someone is temporarily trying to figure out their life, but maybe they need to sit down and work out a plan for their son/daughter to move out.   Put a time limit on it.

Problem is that this can turn into a "crutch" and stunt a person's growth.  They need to grow up, and be seeking to create their own life (not live forever with mommy and daddy).

I was the 4th boy,  there was no question about who was in charge. My dads belt hit the door, bed, walls dresser but never me. He could crush you with a quietly placed "you dumbass" comment.  I was lucky i made my mistakes early and saw what not to do.  My folks would have allowed anyone (and did allow it many times by the large extended family) to stay  for a short time.   But it was clear it was only temporary after 18.    I stole the term from Dad " Be a man and take care of your family"  listened to him use it more than once. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

56 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

My daughter, and only kid graduated high school last week. She will be attending USU in the fall, and plans to stay at home. Something I am perfectly happy with.

There’s nothing wrong with that.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, jackmormon said:

My daughter, and only kid graduated high school last week. She will be attending USU in the fall, and plans to stay at home. Something I am perfectly happy with.

Congrats to her...  an exciting time of life!

v0icAvfW.jpg

6 hours ago, jackmormon said:

Don't you think an education at an institution such as CAL would allow her the opportunity to be involved in more causes and protests? I seriously doubt that at USU she's going to learn that hate speech isn't protected speech. 🙂

Nah, just giving you chit. They grow up fast and a little more time to be around them at home has to be a good thing. 

kat.jpg