Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

China to significantly increase purchases of U.S. goods

http://thehill.com/policy/international/388466-white-house-china-will-significantly-increase-purchase-of-us-goods

China has agreed to purchase more U.S. goods and services following a second day of trade talks between Washington and Beijing on Friday.

In a joint statement issued Saturday, the U.S. and China said "there was a consensus on taking effective measures to substantially reduce the United States trade deficit in goods with China."

"To meet the growing consumption needs of the Chinese people and the need for high-quality economic development, China will significantly increase purchases of United States goods and services," the statement reads. "This will help support growth and employment in the United States."

But according to The Wall Street Journal, Chinese negotiators resisted demands from Washington to cut the trade deficit between the two countries in half. China was also cautious about committing to specific purchases of U.S. goods and services.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I was looking for this topic.

Say what you will about Donald Trump as a person, but this is a big win for America.

I mean holy shit; Trump threatens a trade war, says they're easy to win. Gets a big deal from China.

What's not to like about that, besides the temporary market volatility?

I say we ship them tons of stuff that breaks easy and has lots of lead paint.   You know, so they don't think it's especially foreign. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

4 hours ago, CV147 said:

I was looking for this topic.

Say what you will about Donald Trump as a person, but this is a big win for America.

I mean holy shit; Trump threatens a trade war, says they're easy to win. Gets a big deal from China.

What's not to like about that, besides the temporary market volatility?

Because it's another win for Trump that the left can't spin. 

9 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

Because it's another win for Trump that the left can't spin. 

lol. China committed to nothing other than giving Trump $500M for a Trump-branded development to Indonesia. Pure spin. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

As far as trade policy goes, there's still a whole lot left on the table regarding China.  They need to do more regarding intellectual property rights and theft of technology.  
US needs to make a longer term framework with China to improve on those things and not just China will buy more goods.  

Also, NAFTA needs to get done.  It is actually a bigger deal to get done than China.  

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

As far as trade policy goes, there's still a whole lot left on the table regarding China.  They need to do more regarding intellectual property rights and theft of technology.  
US needs to make a longer term framework with China to improve on those things and not just China will buy more goods.  

Also, NAFTA needs to get done.  It is actually a bigger deal to get done than China.  

Close the loophole of China sending goods to Mexico and Canada then having them trucked into the US is a huge issue that needs to be fixed.