Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: 2018 IIHF World Championship Semifinals, USA vs Sweden and Canada vs Switzerland

So if you have nothing planned this am, I encourage you to watch the semifinal matchup between Team USA and Sweden. This is probably the most talented squad Team USA has brought to the IIHF WCs for the last 50 years. Face off is at 9:15 Eastern, 6:15 Pacific on the NHL Network. 

US_NTDP_logo_svg.png

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Welp. Team USA shit the bed like they usually do. 4-0 Sweden, second intermission. Game over. 

8 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Welp. Team USA shit the bed like they usually do. 4-0 Sweden, second intermission. Game over. 

Yeah.  I respect the players that go but the World Championships just aren't given much importance by USA Hockey or many US born players.  We do a great job with the U20 and U18 Worlds investing heavily in succeeding at these levels but the Senior Worlds are all but an afterthought.

Loosing to the Swedes is not surprising but getting dominated in the 6-0 loss is to be sure embarassing.  Canada loosing to Switzerland is the bigger surprise.

Hopefully team USA will get up for Canada on Sunday and bring home the bronze.

3 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Yeah.  I respect the players that go but the World Championships just aren't given much importance by USA Hockey or many US born players.  We do a great job with the U20 and U18 Worlds investing heavily in succeeding at these levels but the Senior Worlds are all but an afterthought.

Loosing to the Swedes is not surprising but getting dominated in the 6-0 loss is to be sure embarassing.  Canada loosing to Switzerland is the bigger surprise.

Canada losing to Switzerland is definitely a surprise. Canada won't play for a gold medal at the World Hockey Championships for the first time in four years.

8 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Talent isn’t the problem for Team USA at this level. Lack of heart and questionable coaching is. They got curb stomped by Finland the other day, a team playing with an AHL goalie. That said, as you mentioned, Americans are kicking ass at the U18/junior levels so that gives me hope.

Well, USA turned shit around and beat Canada 4-1 for the bronze. Terrible coaching by Canada in the last 5 minutes. 

26 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Well, USA turned shit around and beat Canada 4-1 for the bronze. Terrible coaching by Canada in the last 5 minutes. 

Going 2-0 vs Canda in this year's tournament makes up for much of the disappointing losses vs the Finns and Swedes.

nick-bonino-052018-getty-ftr.jpeg

8 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Talent isn’t the problem for Team USA at this level. Lack of heart and questionable coaching is. They got curb stomped by Finland the other day, a team playing with an AHL goalie. That said, as you mentioned, Americans are kicking ass at the U18/junior levels so that gives me hope.

Both the US and Canada historically have a hard time getting their best players to attend this tournament.  I suppose it's understandable as short of the Olympics few top players are willing to risk injury in international play.  The IIHF worlds have just never meant that much to the North Americans.  I think if the World Cup of Hockey continues every 4 years along with NHL participation in the olympics the IIHF Worlds will become even less relevant.

14 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Going 2-0 vs Canda in this year's tournament makes up for much of the disappointing losses vs the Finns and Swedes.

nick-bonino-052018-getty-ftr.jpeg

Right on! I'll take 2-0 over Canada and celebrate it. They invented hockey and it's their national sport. So beating them twice is sweet. :banana::banana: