Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

WTF Wolfpack Weak Sauce OOC

4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

So you could be a top 5 team, and yet get a 4 seed because of a weak schedule and that would be ok with you? That's what gaming the RPI will get you. The committee would look at that schedule and that's as high as you go. Hopefully Muss is working to get somebody else on there, and not intentionally just scheduling sh*t like that. Your team and fans deserve better. @TheSanDieganis right, UNR has got a golden opportunity here, if they're smart enough to take it.

Thats where we differ, I don't think the schedule is SHIT or weak and is looking pretty strong. With rumors of USC being on the schedule, I don't see how someone could bag this schedule. BYU, AZ ST, USC, Loyola Chicago, SDSU, and GCU. 

3 minutes ago, cardrater said:

Thats where we differ, I don't think the schedule is SHIT or weak and is looking pretty strong. With rumors of USC being on the schedule, I don't see how someone could bag this schedule. BYU, AZ ST, USC, Loyola Chicago, SDSU, and GCU. 

We'll agree to disagree. IF USC happens, along with AZ St and Loyola (are they bringing back most of their team? I actually can't remember, and don't feel like looking it up, lol), then that will help. The rest, although decent teams (and don't get me wrong, i love grand canyon) will not get you the seed you should want, or should have as a top 5 team. but they will get you a 4 seed, so that's why i asked if you would be happy with that as a top 5 team. As I also said, I hope Muss is working on it.

just for comparison we still have 3-4 spots open but the current OOC schedule looks like this:

Advocare Invitational (Villanova, Memphis, Oklahoma, Florida State, Charleston, etc)
Tennessee
@LSU
Tennessee Tech
South Dakota State (they've been to 3 straight NCAA tourneys, and an NIT in 2015)
UAB
Yale

mem skyline sig.jpeg

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s tough being in our position. Big name teams don’t want to schedule a guaranteed loss. You guys wouldn’t understand.

See this is why they schedule UNLV year in and year out.

22 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Do we need any more proof that UNLV is a better program than UNR?  We would be playing Arizona, Kansas, and Duke if we were coming off a sweet 16 run.

You’ve played Duke one time since you lost in the final four and that’s because of the anniversary thing.  Arizona I’ll give you that they’ve scheduled MWC opponents plenty. As for Kansas wouldn’t be surprised if Nevada has played them more in the last quarter century then UNLV.

Bottomline like most MWC teams Nevada will end up with 2/3 power 5 teams and that’s it. It’s the middle/low end teams that matters for RPI. Which UNLV fails miserably at btw, let’s schedule the worst D1 opponents imagineable and play them at home

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

just for comparison we still have 3 spots open but the current OOC schedule looks like this:

Advocare Invitational (Villanova, Memphis, Oklahoma, Florida State, Charleston, etc)
Tennessee
@LSU
Tennessee Tech
South Dakota State (they've been to 3 straight NCAA tourneys, and an NIT in 2015)
UAB
Yale

One true road game.  ugh

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Do we need any more proof that UNLV is a better program than UNR?  We would be playing Arizona, Kansas, and Duke if we were coming off a sweet 16 run.

Cupcake programs don’t often make the sweet 16, so there is that. You can give it up. It was already decided lairdise dod beat you.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Minus Cal Baptist and UALR I don't think that is a terrible OOC (especially if you really are playing USC on the road), but it is definitely not stellar either. I think you guys really need to find and beat at least one marquee top-15 type OOC opponent if you're hoping to get a top 4 seed in next year's NCAAT. Loyola-Chi is really the only team out of your current opponents that would be a likely NCAAT team IMO. There are a bunch of NIT type teams though so the RPI should still be pretty good.

I don't think Cal Baptist will count RPI wise, as they will be just starting their D1 transition.

16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Your run last year should have been a springboard to step up your shit OOC, not step in it.

What a lost opportunity.

It's not complete yet.  I'm guessing they are waiting to see whether Caroline and the twins come back before filling out those last three ooc games (or two, if USC included).

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

One true road game.  ugh

yep, our FedExForum contract requirement of 18 home games was fine when we were in CUSA with 14 conference games...then they went to 16...and now it's 18 games in the AAC.

that means we know we will have 9 home games and 9 away game in AAC play...so Memphis has to schedule 9 of the remaining 12-13 (depends on if we play an ooc tourney) games at home.

I love our FEF contract but it makes scheduling a pain.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

So you could be a top 5 team, and yet get a 4 seed because of a weak schedule and that would be ok with you? That's what gaming the RPI will get you. The committee would look at that schedule and that's as high as you go. Hopefully Muss is working to get somebody else on there, and not intentionally just scheduling sh*t like that. Your team and fans deserve better. @TheSanDieganis right, UNR has got a golden opportunity here, if they're smart enough to take it.

I wouldn’t be ok with it at all but it’s the f$&king reality when you come out of nowhere and are playing in a shitty tournament.  People act we are dodging teams or something.  What do you want?

33 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I don't think Cal Baptist will count RPI wise, as they will be just starting their D1 transition.

Interesting, I didn't realize Cal Baptist was transitioning to D1. I wasn't really referring to a potential RPI hit because I assumed they were DII anyway, it will just be a game that does absolutely nothing for Nevada...other than getting some bench players additional PT.

45 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

I wouldn’t be ok with it at all but it’s the f$&king reality when you come out of nowhere and are playing in a shitty tournament.  People act we are dodging teams or something.  What do you want?

As I said to Card, I hope Muss gets a couple of better teams on your schedule, so that you get some cred. But there have definitely been teams in the MW that have tried to game the RPI and it has come back to bite them. I just hope Muss isn’t doing that, or thinks this schedule is good enough considering who you could be. And at this point, if you have to schedule a good team at their house, you do it. 

As for your tournament, you could always pull a St. Mary’s, lol. For that matter, too bad you didn’t take their place in the Diamondhead, it would have been fun put you back into your place. :D

Scheduling isn't easy and figure some of these were probably signed a while ago. However, unlike what some people believe, you can't make teams schedule you. With the bigger conferences going playing more conference games and some of those schools having the same scheduling philosophy, it is going to get tougher for mid-major teams to schedule higher end teams. 

However I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse with regards to seeding and Top 15 rankings for next year with Nevada. We don't know what will happen next season and hell we don't know what to expect for the rest of this offseason either. NCAA Tournament is pretty much a turkey shoot, the whole goal is to get in and then who knows what will happen.

However with the Las Vegas tournament, there are a few sports writers that are confused with the two tournaments as well. 

What is interesting was I was just talking with someone about maybe getting Grand Canyon on the schedule but maybe play at a neutral location. 

With 3 OOC games possibly left to schedule, I kind of hope to have one of those a home game between Cal Baptist and San Dakota St games, because going a month without a home game during basketball season is a long time.

2 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Interesting, I didn't realize Cal Baptist was transitioning to D1. I wasn't really referring to a potential RPI hit because I assumed they were DII anyway, it will just be a game that does absolutely nothing for Nevada...other than getting some bench players additional PT.

Yup.  Cal Baptist joins the WAC in July and starts their four year transition to D1.   @AztecBill can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for year one they won't count for RPI purposes.  Which is essentially a throw away game.