Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Ten dead in Houston suburb school shooting

3 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

No worries. We all have strong opinions. I was not in the correct headspace yesterday to participate meaningfully in any conversation. My own feeling on this issue is that it’s unsolvable, which means I should probably just stay out of it.

I don't think it's unsolvable. But there will be no meeting of the minds that involve gun restrictions.  Connies love to shoot things (mostly inanimate objects), and they wear the 2nd amendment on their head like a religious turban.  They gotta be ready when the gubmit is gonna come n take der guns!

I thought that invention from that school kid was brilliant - sleeves you drop over the hinges that barricade the door.

However, that won't be enough.  We need kevlar doors apparently.  And since every school in America now requires the hinge locks and kevlar doors (or ballistic glass - whichever), raise the money from the sale of guns and bullets by taxing them. 

Defense is the best offense in the short term. It is practical, and would cut down on the number of fatalities.  God knows there's little interest in addressing the weapons performing the carnage, or the mental health of the purpetrator.  So the next best thing is to follow Trump's own pied piper calling to the masses and Build a wall!  In every classroom, made of ballistic glass and/or kevlar.   

I also like the idea of gun owners having insurance be a requirement, but instead of it being a huge money grab from private enterprise, it should be handled like flood insurance.  And paid out to the victims families to cover medical bills and funerals.

Free enterprise concurs (but when wouldn't they if a buck is to be made - it's a rainmaker.)

https://www.tssbulletproof.com/blog/cost-pricing-bulletproof-glass-system-schools/

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

The overwhelming number of mass killers are men. Despite women suffering from mental illness with more frequency than men.

Behavior, emotional and social health combined with culture is more determinative than "mental health'. 

One of the Final Five..........

Alibaba is hawking bullet proof doors at $106/per in bundles of 500 or more.  Question is do they only stop Chinese bullets?  Or would they stop bullets made in 'Murica?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Bullet-Proof-Security-Steel-Door-with_60679197974.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.42.aecd26ca9ePmA5

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Since I began teaching, our campus has been fenced. Entry now limited to 2 points of access both monitored, although not w armed personell, and we have an armed officer on campus at all times.

They had two armed officers at the school that just had the shooting. One of them was himself shot. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

In this case mental illness doesn’t appear to be the cause. However, in a lot of other mass shootings it was the cause. You can’t discount that some of these shooters need mental help before they get to the point of killing people. 

I think it’s more alienation than mental illness. A traditional definition:

Social isolation refers to "The feeling of being segregated from one's community".[33] Neal and Collas (2000: 114) emphasize the centrality of social isolation in the modern world: "While social isolation is typically experienced as a form of personal stress, its sources are deeply embedded in the social organization of the modern world. With increased isolation and atomization, much of our daily interactions are with those who are strangers to us and with whom we lack any ongoing social relationships."

I know the last sentence seems out of place given that these killers often have active social media presences, but in a way I think for some people this even heightens the alienation as they are bullied or scorned on line. Daily interactions are with strangers, with whom there is a lack of a relationship, or with known persons by whom the person is bullied on line and/or rejected or bullied in person.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Do me a favor @bluerules009, @Joe from WY and @Rebelbacker and don't respond to anything I write anymore, and I will do the same for you.  I don't need to interact with anyone that considers me to "absolutely racist and stupid".

I don’t consider you absolutely racist. But I’ve never seen a 10 plus page thread on this board about violence in Chicago. I’ve never seen a 10 plus page thread about violence in the black community and the black genocide occurring. If you cared as much about gun violence as you seem to be saying it’s fair to ask the question of why are school shootings worse than the violence in inner cities in the minds of leftists like yourself?

35 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

They had two armed officers at the school that just had the shooting. One of them was himself shot. 

I was only stating the security precautions our school takes. No inference of being safe was intended. If somebody wishes to do harm, they will find a way.

6 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

I don’t consider you absolutely racist. But I’ve never seen a 10 plus page thread on this board about violence in Chicago. I’ve never seen a 10 plus page thread about violence in the black community and the black genocide occurring. If you cared as much about gun violence as you seem to be saying it’s fair to ask the question of why are school shootings worse than the violence in inner cities in the minds of leftists like yourself?

Ever notice that school shooting are not occurring at innercity schools but rather wealthier suburban schools?

This looks promising, especially for the midwest:

http://shelterinplace.com/

$21000 for the one in the video, or more if the Steel tariffs jack up costs. 

Average school has 50+ classrooms - $1050000 per school.

Maybe make a NRA membership tax to help pay for it?  I'd really like that idea.  On top of the taxes on bullets and guns.  Billions of dollars to be made by these companies!

4 minutes ago, Billings said:

Ever notice that school shooting are not occurring at innercity schools but rather wealthier suburban schools?

Ever notice that the amount of black kids killed in inner city violence dwarfs school shooting victims and CNN has yet to do a town hall on that?

One reason school shootings don’t happen in inner city schools is because they are better secured. They search for weapons upon entry. 

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

"When are you going to stop beating your wife?"

So we "leftists" are responsible for initiating discussion on all the world's problems? What a crock of shit. And where's your crusade to stamp out inner city violence, anyway? If we don't give a shit about them you don't either. The only time you guys bring them up is when they are a convenient, albeit overly simplified statistic, for some gun control argument. 

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2015/10/mass-shooting-in-usa-kills/

Mass shooting in _________, USA kills ___

Up to ___ people were killed and ____ more injured after a gunman opened fire at a ________.

There were conflicting reports about casualties, but _______ from _______County Sheriff Department said the number is at __.

“I heard a popping sound and screaming,” said _________, a _________ at the __________. “And that’s when we all got down. There was ______ everywhere.”

The shooter’s motive was reported to be ________________.

Citizens of _______ were ______ and ______ to hear that something like this could happen in their community.

President _______ and Governor _______ had their _______ and _______ with the victims and their families.

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

This is a common argument and it's complete nonsense. If someone cares more about Tragedy A than they care about Tragedy B, it doesn't make "A" more or less tragic. You can't dismiss someone's thoughts about "A" because they don't care as much about "B", especially when "a" (violent street crime) and "b" (children getting murdered in school) aren't even close to being the same thing. 

22 minutes ago, toonkee said:

"When are you going to stop beating your wife?"

So we "leftists" are responsible for initiating discussion on all the world's problems? What a crock of shit. And where's your crusade to stamp out inner city violence, anyway? If we don't give a shit about them you don't either. The only time you guys bring them up is when they are a convenient, albeit overly simplified statistic, for some gun control argument. 

You’re not responsible for initiating discussion but you can be honest about it. 

Guns aren’t more prevalent now than they were years ago. What has changed is society. More kids are on meds. Social media has changed how they interact and increased disillusionment. There are far more households with no father and a mother working too hard and too much to be able to do the job of two parents. 

Those are all factors that go into this. But instead of being rational about it and actually trying to find a cause you and others like you blame the guns and then demonize responsible gun owners. 

5 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Guns aren’t more prevalent now than they were years ago. What has changed is society. More kids are on meds. Social media has changed how they interact and increased disillusionment. There are far more households with no father and a mother working too hard and too much to be able to do the job of two parents. 

This argument is nonsense. The United States isn't the only country with meds, social media, and single parent households. 

8 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

This argument is nonsense. The United States isn't the only country with meds, social media, and single parent households. 

Then why didn’t we see these same mass school shootings decades ago when there were still millions of guns? Guns have been consistent, society has changed, and not in a good way. 

10 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

According to CNN 26 of the 27 deadliest mass shootings in the US were carried out by someone who grew up without a father in the Home. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/

But I’m sure your right it’s the guns fault. God forbid we look at any other factor in society. 

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Then why didn’t we see these same mass school shootings decades ago when there were still millions of guns? 

Because decades ago there weren't meds, social media, and single parent households. Try to keep up Tyler.