Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Ten dead in Houston suburb school shooting

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

There's always a bigger problem.  Doesn't mean we can't address the smaller problems as well.  You could be out helping people instead of being a miserable prick on the internet 12 hours a day. You don't get to give anyone shit for having a cause of their choosing. 

I get to give anyone shit who is absolutely racist and stupid and you fit that description to a T.

This whole thread is motivated by the racism of leftists like you.  Who care far more about 10 dead white kids than thousands of black kids.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, Akkula said:

Repeal and Replace....it will be the most magnificent second amendment you have ever seen!  The greatest!

Pretty good way to start a civil war. 

7 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I get to give anyone shit who is absolutely racist and stupid and you fit that description to a T.

This whole thread is motivated by the racism of leftists like you.  Who care far more about 10 dead white kids than thousands of black kids.

Ain't that the truth. +++++ing lefties don't care that the inner cities that their people run are self-cleaning oven cesspools where kids are gunned down daily. No, but put a few white mothers crying tears because her little johnny got shot by the +++++ed up retard at school and they get all fired up. 

I would like to apologize to @SJSUMFA2013.  I could have disagreed with some of the points of your post in a more respectful manner.  Calling it "idiotic" was in bad taste but accusing you of having posted with faux emotional outrage is what is really bothering me.  I believe you were sincere in your anguish.  My being a dick was not conducive to a healthy dialogue.

Please accept my apology, if you don't I would not blame you.

Seems more pieces are coming together.  Looks like the perpetrator was bullied often.  He had feelings for a woman and would not take no for an answer.  After his advances became more and more aggressive she publicly rebuked him.  https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/05/19/school-shooter-collapsed-confessed-after-trading-lot-firepower-authorities-officials-say

As a pro second amendment advocate I do not care if my thoughts and prayers seem insulting to some, my thoughts and prayers are going out to the victims and their families.  My prayers are going out that both sides of the isle can work together and pass some effective legislation.  Not sure what would be effective, I do not have faith that any of the common sense regulations would be however passing legislation, even small legislation, might boost the moral of the country.  

Nutters like SJSUMFer and noballsjim will be disgusted at this article but a few of the more reasonable folks who lean left might appreciate the perspective:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/19/what-can-be-done-to-stop-school-shooting

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would like to apologize to @SJSUMFA2013.  I could have disagreed with some of the points of your post in a more respectful manner.  Calling it "idiotic" was in bad taste but accusing you of having posted with faux emotional outrage is what is really bothering me.  I believe you were sincere in your anguish.  My being a dick was not conducive to a healthy dialogue.

You’re a class act.

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Nutters like SJSUMFer and noballsjim will be disgusted at this article but a few of the more reasonable folks who lean left might appreciate the perspective:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/19/what-can-be-done-to-stop-school-shooting

Quite a few people on the Right could learn something from reading that piece as well.

I have found the solution.  We just need to classify any weapon that accepts a high capacity magazine as a Class 3 weapon and then dare the Supreme court to declare the National Firearms Act unconstitutional and put hand grenades and fully automatic weapons on the street.  They would have to invent an arbitrary standard by legislating from the bench to say Congress can regulate some guns but not others.  Also need to get rid of the filibuster.

That doesn't have any impact on a person "keeping and bearing" their existing arms...they just can't transfer them or sell them without permission.  Maybe we can pair that with a gun buyback.  

Maybe the NRA is right and we just need to better enforce our existing laws by making more weapons Class 3!  

Posted Image

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No worries. We all have strong opinions. I was not in the correct headspace yesterday to participate meaningfully in any conversation. My own feeling on this issue is that it’s unsolvable, which means I should probably just stay out of it.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Headbutt said:

Perhaps, but it is closer to accurate than blaming an inanimate device like a gun.  Reasonable or unreasonable (however you want to see it) additional gun control will do very little to stem these schools shootings IMO.  Figuring out and addressing what makes a young man decide to do such a horrific act will go much farther, even though it is far less convenient than just banning guns.  And yes, I said young men.  How many of these perpetrators are women?  I don't know if that matters, but it is one piece of the trend.

Bingo- we have a winner. 

On 5/18/2018 at 1:31 PM, Joe from WY said:

You have to control the entry points. That's what's key to all of this. Honestly, if they have tight security at airports, they should do the same at schools IMO. It's key to control access. 

I mean, I'm not DB Cooper, but I deal with the repercussions of his and others actions. Same should apply at schools.

Since I began teaching, our campus has been fenced. Entry now limited to 2 points of access both monitored, although not w armed personell, and we have an armed officer on campus at all times.

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

Could we get them in CA as well :rolleyes:

Apparently all I have to do is cheat on my best friend with his wife and it'd make me the front runner for governor. 

Another incel rebel.

This kid isn't mentally ill or unstable. He's another Elliot Rodgers. A rage and hate filled monster who felt entitled to a woman. This is about a subculture of men and boys who feel entitled to women and view them as sub human. Another hate filled group who egg each other on to act out. It's about being self centered and lacking any respect or empathy for others, especially women and minorities. This is a cultural issue that was hidden but has now crawled out from under the rocks to operate in full daylight. Trump is the culmination of shedding the bounds of decency and acting out. It started before his election but it has accelerated since.

It isn't mental illness, it's a lack of character, decency and morals. We still have a gun issue, but these guys will use cars as well. There is a sub group of mass killers who fixate and hate on a group and go after them. Incels, homophobes and racists. 

One of the Final Five..........

13 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Do me a favor @bluerules009, @Joe from WY and @Rebelbacker and don't respond to anything I write anymore, and I will do the same for you.  I don't need to interact with anyone that considers me to "absolutely racist and stupid".

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Do me a favor @bluerules009, @Joe from WY and @Rebelbacker and don't respond to anything I write anymore, and I will do the same for you.  I don't need to interact with anyone that considers me to "absolutely racist and stupid".

+++++ you

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

Another incel rebel.

This kid isn't mentally ill or unstable. He's another Elliot Rodgers. A rage and hate filled monster who felt entitled to a woman. This is about a subculture of men and boys who feel entitled to women and view them as sub human. Another hate filled group who egg each other on to act out. It's about being self centered and lacking any respect or empathy for others, especially women and minorities. This is a cultural issue that was hidden but has now crawled out from under the rocks to operate in full daylight. Trump is the culmination of shedding the bounds of decency and acting out. It started before his election but it has accelerated since.

It isn't mental illness, it's a lack of character, decency and morals. We still have a gun issue, but these guys will use cars as well. There is a sub group of mass killers who fixate and hate on a group and go after them. Incels, homophobes and racists. 

In this case mental illness doesn’t appear to be the cause. However, in a lot of other mass shootings it was the cause. You can’t discount that some of these shooters need mental help before they get to the point of killing people. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

In this case mental illness doesn’t appear to be the cause. However, in a lot of other mass shootings it was the cause. You can’t discount that some of these shooters need mental help before they get to the point of killing people. 

Mental illness is not the cause for mass killings.

Many of these shooters need help, but I do not believe mental illness to be THE cause of the actions. Socially abhorrent behavior is not mental illness. Misogyny and racism are not mental illnesses. Very few actual mental illnesses predispose individuals to violent behavior. It's extremely inaccurate to claim 'mental illness' is the cause for mass killings. Millions of people suffer mental illness without committing violence against others.

It's time we stopped blaming mental illness or saying these people are just sick. They make choices based on their personality, learned behavior, culture, impulse control and empathy, or lack thereof. Society has an increasing problem with social adjustment and behavior of individuals that has nothing to do with mental health. It has to do with social and emotional health. It has to do with a sense of entitlement and a lack of respect for others. These people have been radicalized and cut loose from healthy social constructs. But it is NOT an issue of mental health.

It isn't mental, it's social and emotional health. It's learning to live in the real world, not the internet.

One of the Final Five..........

19 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Mental illness is not the cause for mass killings.

Many of these shooters need help, but I do not believe mental illness to be THE cause of the actions. Socially abhorrent behavior is not mental illness. Misogyny and racism are not mental illnesses. Very few actual mental illnesses predispose individuals to violent behavior. It's extremely inaccurate to claim 'mental illness' is the cause for mass killings. Millions of people suffer mental illness without committing violence against others.

It's time we stopped blaming mental illness or saying these people are just sick. They make choices based on their personality, learned behavior, culture, impulse control and empathy, or lack thereof. Society has an increasing problem with social adjustment and behavior of individuals that has nothing to do with mental health. It has to do with social and emotional health. It has to do with a sense of entitlement and a lack of respect for others. These people have been radicalized and cut loose from healthy social constructs. But it is NOT an issue of mental health.

It isn't mental, it's social and emotional health. It's learning to live in the real world, not the internet.

Total bullshit.  Even just plain depression increases the chance of violence.   Just because it doesn't make it 100% does not mean it isn't  big problem.  Stop buying into the propaganda.  Almost everyone in a prison cell has some mental illness going on.