Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Ten dead in Houston suburb school shooting

18 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

I would like to see the most ardent pro gun advocates take to social media and tv to make their voices heard that this isn't OK.  Try to counter-balance the next would-be shooter.  Try to get to them and change them before they finally cross that threshold and decide to shoot up their classmates -- current or former.

Expressing horror at what happened has become synonymous with wanting a full scale reversal of the 2nd amendment all the magic removal of all guns to prevent it from ever happening again.  I don't think that's a necessity.  You can be pro gun and find these acts obscene.  This will sound incendiary, but it's not meant to be: I don't see that kind of outrage from the right.  It should be offensive to anyone and everyone that children are hunted down and murdered in cold blood.  Irresp

oh forget it.  we're boned.

Lol. I agree with every one of your points, especially the “we’re boned” part, and add some more general points: The pro-gun people need to stop fetishizing guns. The media needs to cover these events more thoughtfully. And the left needs to be more realistic.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

This is just something to chew on .... but one of the reasons for the copycats is because we ARE talking about this so much. That asshole down in Texas is getting exactly what he wanted — he’s the number one or two news story around the world. 

that's definitely an area of concern.

i wonder what his personal life were like leading up to the shooting.  i wonder about whether or not he had a firm grasp on emotional interaction.  have you ever noticed the way some people grossly misunderstand grievances against them?  they take even the smallest criticism, slight, or insult, and respond with 10x the intensity of the supposed original insult?  loboblast was like that.  i wonder if this kid just felt like in his own mind he was doing what he felt like was done to him.  adam lanza (have you read that dude's words on the anarchy radio shows??!) thought he was doing this kids a favor.  a favor.

there's a lot of moving pieces here.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Lol. I agree with every one of your points, especially the “we’re boned” part, and add some more general points: The pro-gun people need to stop fetishizing guns. The media needs to cover these events more thoughtfully. And the left needs to be more realistic.

we also spend a lot of time blaming each other rather than the person pulling the trigger.

myself included.

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wars are getting safer too. More school-age children killed by guns since Sandy Hook than service members killed overseas since 9/11. 

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-violence-children-killed-sandy-hook-military-soldiers-war-terror-911-848602

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

As long as people like @SJSUMFA2013 exist there will not be even an attempt to solve this.  You even liked that idiotic, faux emotion filled drivel.

Schools safer now than in previous decades.  https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Honest question: How are you better? You lament when you’re mocked for “thoughts and prayer” in one post then you blame the lack of progress on the issue on people like@SJSUMFA2013 because of “idiotic, faux emotion” in another.

To me, it’s this apparent disconnect that makes this whole debate so pointless.

Just now, AndroidAggie said:

there is something materially different about the predatory nature of being hunted down in your school.  it is for that reason that i liked his post.

i have never said anything like that.

your anger, sadness, and grief are most definitely welcome for me.  what angers me about your position (not you, but your position) is the message that school shootings are isolated events, statistically insignificant, and thus out of reach of effective legislation.  we may as well try to ban crazy.  have i misunderstood your position?

There are reasons it is important to recognize the actual statistics and probabilities of being shot at school.  It is irresponsible to allow emotion and fear to triumph over logic and data.  Look at SJSUmfa guy.  He basically expects to be shot and killed because he works at a school.  Do you think he is as effective an educator because of that?  Of course not.  If our children think they are likely to get shot and killed do you think it might play a roll in their learning?  Of course.  Our kids and apparently even some of our educators need  to have an appreciation of the FACT schools are safer than just about any place else.  

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Honest question: How are you better? You lament when you’re mocked for “thoughts and prayer” in one post then you blame the lack of progress on the issue on people like@SJSUMFA2013 because of “idiotic, faux emotion” in another.

To me, it’s this apparent disconnect that makes this whole debate so pointless.

Because he is not living in reality.  " +++++ing war zones are safer than our schools."

Somebody who honestly believes that is not capable of critical thinking (or passing a 5th grade math test, apparently).

20 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Wars are getting safer too. More school-age children killed by guns since Sandy Hook than service members killed overseas since 9/11. 

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-violence-children-killed-sandy-hook-military-soldiers-war-terror-911-848602

Yep the world as a whole is getting safer, more prosperous and educated.

Most people in America would not believe it if you told them, that is part of the problem.  Sensationalism sells.

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

As long as people like @SJSUMFA2013 exist there will not be even an attempt to solve this.  You even liked that idiotic, faux emotion filled drivel.

Schools safer now than in previous decades.  https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Keep my name out your mouth.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If you do not want to read your insanity being called out in the future, I suggest you put me on ignore.  

Oh go +++++ yourself. Your whole argument is “school shootings don’t happen THAT often you guys! Only a few children were needlessly murdered! It’s not THAT bad!” 

One is too many. Gun violence in general is disturbing but it is worse when kids are the victims. And it is so goddamn easily preventable that it sickens me, as it should everyone else, that we do nothing. Here, allow me to quote from the article you shared that you clearly didn’t bother to +++++ing read:

“Marysville Pilchuck High School, about an hour north of Seattle, has experienced the tragedy of a shooting, and the statistical rarity is no comfort.”

No comfort. At all. It’s completely meaningless.  

+++++ing mad cow disease is rare too but we do everything we can to stop that. If only the second amendment said we had a right to bear diseased beef.

Here. I’ll let a survivor finish and then I’m done talking about this because it’s +++++ing pointless:

"It's not dangerous because of how schools are," Cerdinio says, "but because a shooting can happen anywhere. It's more about gun availability."

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Oh go +++++ yourself. Your whole argument is “school shootings don’t happen THAT often you guys! Only a few children were needlessly murdered! It’s not THAT bad!” 

One is too many. Gun violence in general is disturbing but it is worse when kids are the victims. And it is so goddamn easily preventable that it sickens me, as it should everyone else, that we do nothing. Here, allow me to quote from the article you shared that you clearly didn’t bother to +++++ing read:

“Marysville Pilchuck High School, about an hour north of Seattle, has experienced the tragedy of a shooting, and the statistical rarity is no comfort.”

No comfort. At all. It’s completely meaningless.  

+++++ing mad cow disease is rare too but we do everything we can to stop that. If only the second amendment said we had a right to bear diseased beef.

Here. I’ll let a survivor finish and then I’m done talking about this because it’s +++++ing pointless:

"It's not dangerous because of how schools are," Cerdinio says, "but because a shooting can happen anywhere. It's more about gun availability."

My argument is that you are not able to think critically, correct.  You think schools are more dangerous than war zones.  You are driven by emotion and fear.  I feel bad for you more than anything at this point.  Thoughts and prayers

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep the world as a whole is getting safer, more prosperous and educated.

Most people in America would not believe it if you told them, that is part of the problem.  Sensationalism sells.

That is kinda like saying.  "Just because this 747 crashed we shouldn't investigate or change anything because statistically flying is safer than driving and anyone who wants to know why the engine failed and force fixes is just whining."

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, Akkula said:

That is kinda like saying.  "Just because this 747 crashed we shouldn't investigate or change anything because statistically flying is safer than driving and anyone who wants to know why the engine failed and force fixes is just whining."

So what you are saying is that we should ban planes?

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So what you are saying is that we should ban planes?

Maybe we need the firearms equivalent of the National Transportation Safety Board. They would investigate the crash and make recommendations. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say