Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Ten dead in Houston suburb school shooting

Regardless of gun laws something needs to be done about bullying. Parents need to get involved and realize their kid is being a little shy, and other parents need to toughen their kids up and get them to realize how big the world is and it will get better.

4 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Regardless of gun laws something needs to be done about bullying. Parents need to get involved and realize their kid is being a little shy, and other parents need to toughen their kids up and get them to realize how big the world is and it will get better.

Along with that, I think something needs to be done about, or at least more study needs to be conducted on, the over-doping of kids on anti-depressants and adderall. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

31 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

That appears to have something to do with it. But, I look back at my youth and bullying was prevalent then also without kids going berserk and killing others. However, I do think internet bullying has made things worse. Some kids in middle school and high school can be real jerks. 

Something in society has changed. It’s hard to put a finger on it but people seem a lot more stressed out than they used to be. I’m not a religious fanatic, but it seems like it was a much bigger part of people’s  lives decades ago. It was something to fall back on when things got tough. Now, it seems the mass of people are secular and lack something to turn to except alcohol and drugs.  I may be way off on that, just some general observations.

8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Quite the leap there re. heroin.

Here's the problem with banning or severely restricting the availability of guns.  The only real effect it will have is to punish law abiding citizens.  School shootings aren't happening because guns are available, they are happening because it's now an option.  Something unheard of not so long ago is now hyped as horrific, but still an option.  The media does have a part in this.

As far as places with restrictive gun laws being safer.  Look at how many shootings occur in "gun free zones" vs other areas.  It's just too simplistic to call for more gun control to solve a societal problem.  We've seen that gun control doesn't fix it.  After every shooting we see politicians go on a gun control rant.  Have we seen any of them ranting about the underlying issues that compel someone to want to murder and slaughter?  I've had access to guns since I was a kid.  I was occasionally bullied and have been a bully.  Everyone hits a breaking point in their life where they want to lash out.  I can't believe I've never considered shooting someone. 

It's not the gun.

Yes, "banning" guns or something to that effect would not stop incidents from occurring, but I think it's a fool's argument to say this type of stuff wouldn't likely be reduced if it were harder to obtain a gun. You can argue that they might use another weapon, or weaponize some other object like a car, but to say the availability of guns doesn't play a part in this is misguided in my opinion. A gun is a tool, I get it, but let them use a less effective tool.

12 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Yes, "banning" guns or something to that effect would not stop incidents from occurring, but I think it's a fool's argument to say this type of stuff wouldn't likely be reduced if it were harder to obtain a gun. You can argue that they might use another weapon, or weaponize some other object like a car, but to say the availability of guns doesn't play a part in this is misguided in my opinion. A gun is a tool, I get it, but let them use a less effective tool.

So if banning guns won't work but you want to do it anyway.

Why don't we ban freedom of speech instead.  It would probably work better as these leftist media outlets wouldn't get to make these shooters famous.  Taking away the motivation of these idiots.

We can ban freedom of religion too because of course religion leads to hatred.

Why not just move to North Korea, they don't have these problems.  You would fit right in over there.

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I don’t own a gun but banning guns is never going to happen without a major uprising in this country. Now if you paid people $50,000 for every gun they turned in you might make some headway. 

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Some of the toughest gun control laws in the country are in Baltimore, MD.  They have more than double the murder rate of Chicago.

Just harden the targets.  Controlled entry, armed police/guards, etc.  It's not rocket science, but it doesn't advance a political agenda either.  We're far better off making our schools safer, than punishing law abiding citizens and hoping it makes a difference.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Yes and they have a shitload of guns in those countries and don't have a high gun murder rate.  You really are dumb, you prove my point for me.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You asked about gun death rates. I gave you the data for gun death rates, you senile old bastard.

I never said I wanted to ban guns or that banning guns was the answer or that a gun ban would be effective. And I don't feel that way, either, despite whatever horseshit red herring strawman blue throws out there and top25 eats up.

I said the availability of guns makes it easier to commit these crimes and it follows that this availability increases the rate that these things happen. 

I think that's something that should be acknowledged if an honest discussion is to be had.

The "it's just a tool" argument to be overly simplistic.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

That appears to have something to do with it. But, I look back at my youth and bullying was prevalent then also without kids going berserk and killing others. However, I do think internet bullying has made things worse. Some kids in middle school and high school can be real jerks. 

Something in society has changed. It’s hard to put a finger on it but people seem a lot more stressed out than they used to be. I’m not a religious fanatic, but it seems like it was a much bigger part of people’s  lives decades ago. It was something to fall back on when things got tough. Now, it seems the mass of people are secular and lack something to turn to except alcohol and drugs.  I may be way off on that, just some general observations.

You're on the right track in my opinion.

I'm an atheist but I agree the decline of church is partly to blame of why we're losing our human connectivity. I don't think it's something like "the good book and Jesus" and all that but church gave many of us community and certainty. Those things are helpful to the human animal mind and those are things and systems that evolved and were shaped over thousands of years. Now we're disrupting all that.  

2 hours ago, jackmormon said:

You asked about gun death rates. I gave you the data for gun death rates, you senile old bastard.

I didn't ask for anything, I proved you wrong then your retarded tapeworm brain proved yourself wrong again.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!:hahaha:

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

I never said I wanted to ban guns or that banning guns was the answer or that a gun ban would be effective. And I don't feel that way, either, despite whatever horseshit red herring strawman blue throws out there and top25 eats up.

I said the availability of guns makes it easier to commit these crimes and it follows that this availability increases the rate that these things happen. 

I think that's something that should be acknowledged if an honest discussion is to be had.

So we’ve heard two narratives by the radical far left, wherein some of you still put up the thin facade that you only want stricter regulation in the form of longer waiting periods, more stringent background checks, banning private and gun show transactions, age limits, etc. .... btw, I fail to see how any of those would have prevented yesterday’s tragedy. The AR-15 has been made out by you folks to be a boogie man in spite of the fact that it has been responsible for less than a fraction of all total gun deaths, but it’s scary and that goes a long way in the hyper-emotional narrative. Then you have the rest of far left like @Akkula who are way more honest and transparent with the strongly expressed desire to revoke the Second Amendment. 

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

There were just as many guns when I was a kid.  We took them to school with us.  There were no shootings.   Your logic is easily proved false.

It is the first amendment that is the problem.  Lefties like you in the media make these shooters famous.   It is people like you too stupid to understand the situation that have created this problem.  Too fix it you are fine with taking other peoples rights that they like.  You won't even consider the actual problem.

Not to mention this is just another example of your racism.  You don't care about people being shot until it is little white kids in suburban schools.   Democrats like you have been racist since the start of this country and it is still true.  You prove it every day.

16 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

What the hell is happening to this country? Incredibly sad. :(

Clearly, dancing is the sin that's at the core of all this.

Seriously, it's called copy-cat attacks by deranged attention whore seeking kids because these things have gotten so much press. While there's legit press that has to happen, unfortunately, there's also been waaaay too much political press because the left has decided to use the attacks as rallying cries for gun control. That just keeps the shooter and shootings in the press much too long. 

Mental health issues are ultimately at the core of this. I think Trump needs to fund the crap out of mental health treatment availability for teens while also letting schools be creative with increasing security with experienced & responsible gun practices on school property. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

Maybe you have just come to the same realization as I have come to.  No matter how reasonable your efforts to lower the body count the "not one inch" crowd will call you a "gun grabber" and accuse you of wanting to overturn the second amendment. You are never going to change their mind and they will never seriously follow through with any legal changes just lead you down rabbit holes until you forget about it.  You may as well just own it at this point and say it is time to rewrite the second amendment since anyone who wants to do anything regarding guns will be tarred as wanting to overturn the second amendment anyway.

Most countries allow for firearms but there is some kind of control in place.  The second amendment is already been so bastardized and not followed that nobody even understands how to apply it anymore.  How could automatic rifles and hand grenades have been abolished given the text of the second amendment?  What is this nonsense about a well regulated militia that the right always ignore?   

Posted Image

18 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Maybe you have just come to the same realization as I have come to.  No matter how reasonable your efforts to lower the body count the "not one inch" crowd will call you a "gun grabber" and accuse you of wanting to overturn the second amendment. You are never going to change their mind and they will never seriously follow through with any legal changes just lead you down rabbit holes until you forget about it.  You may as well just own it at this point and say it is time to rewrite the second amendment since anyone who wants to do anything regarding guns will be tarred as wanting to overturn the second amendment anyway.

Most countries allow for firearms but there is some kind of control in place.  The second amendment is already been so bastardized and not followed that nobody even understands how to apply it anymore.  How could automatic rifles and hand grenades have been abolished given the text of the first amendment?  What is this nonsense about a well regulated militia that the right always ignore?   

Why don’t you explain to us where exactly in the Second Amendment is specifies one must belong to a militia in order to have the right to bear arms. The courts have correctly read it that well regulated militias couldn’t exist without the right of the citizens to bear arms. Context matters.

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Why don’t you explain to us where exactly in the Second Amendment is specifies one must belong to a militia in order to have the right to bear arms. The courts have correctly read it that well regulated militias couldn’t exist without the right of the citizens to bear arms. Context matters.

And where does it specify that hand grenades can be made illegal? The courts have made a cluster out of it already because there is so much ambiguity.  Time for a rewrite and for the people to have their input and take it out of the hands of the elites who can't figure out how to protect children and the rest of firearm victims. 

Posted Image

6 minutes ago, Akkula said:

And where does it specify that hand grenades can be made illegal? The courts have made a cluster out of it already because there is so much ambiguity.  Time for a rewrite and for the people to have their input and take it out of the hands of the elites who can't figure out how to protect children and the rest of firearm victims. 

Better yet, I think it’s time to break up the United States into confederated zones based on ideology. We can still have interstate commerce and a common currency but each zone should be able to create their own rights and laws. Think about it, we would all be happier this way.

13 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Better yet, I think it’s time to break up the United States into confederated zones based on ideology. We can still have interstate commerce and a common currency but each zone should be able to create their own rights and laws. Think about it, we would all be happier this way.

Well I am a big "states rights" guy and Illinois/Chicago should have some ability to protect itself from the illegal guns streaming across the border from Indiana.

Posted Image