Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Ten dead in Houston suburb school shooting

As many as eight people have been killed Friday in a shooting at Santa Fe High School, according to a source close to the investigation.

Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trouchesset said authorities have arrested one person and are still trying to determine if there is more than one shooter.

The following statement was released by Santa Fe Independent School District officials:

"This morning an incident occurred at the high school involving an active shooter. The situation is active, but has been contained. There have been confirmed injuries. Details will be released as we receive updated information. Law enforcement will continue to secure the building and initiate all emergency management protocols to release and move students to another location. All other campuses are operating under their regular schedules.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/police-confirm-reports-of-active-shooter-at-santa-fe-high-school

:( 

edit: changed the thread title to reflect the new casualty number. 

Just now, SharkTanked said:

What the hell is happening to this country? Incredibly sad. :(

Don't you get how these things are incredibly rare? It's just a major coincidence how this other thread was posted just yesterday.

Just now, nocoolnamejim said:

Don't you get how these things are incredibly rare? It's just a major coincidence how this other thread was posted just yesterday.

There's been, on average, a school shooting every week in 2018 in this country.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

I know. See my comments in the other thread. I was being sarcastic and didn't express myself clearly enough. Sorry about that.

At least 12 people are in the hospital, the shooter is in custody, and a second individual is being held. The shooter is a minor and suspected to be a student at the school. Law enforcement is sweeping the school for explosives now.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

At least 12 people are in the hospital, the shooter is in custody, and a second individual is being held. The shooter is a minor and suspected to be a student at the school. Law enforcement is sweeping the school for explosives now.

I really hope we don't hear that tips were ignored by Law Enforcement on this one too. :(

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

No there has not. The 22 school shootings statistic is intentionally deceiving.  They’ve included incidents like a B.B. Gun, off campus domestic issues that spilled onto a college campus and accidental discharges.  1 school shooting is too many but including those in the number makes it easier for others to dismiss the argument.  

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/school-shootings-2018-list-trnd/index.html

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

No there has not. The 22 school shootings statistic is intentionally deceiving.  They’ve included incidents like a B.B. Gun, off campus domestic issues that spilled onto a college campus and accidental discharges.  1 school shooting is too many but including those in the number makes it easier for others to dismiss the argument.  

Fair enough, I didn't know the background on that stat.

As you say, one is too many so the numbers shouldn't really matter anyway.

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I went through your list and found one B.B. Gun incident and no domestic issues that spilled onto a college campus. Every single one of those on your list other than the B.B. gun one seems to be a valid school shooting where the incident is taking place somewhere on the school grounds and involves someone firing a gun?

Sure seems like about one a week to me.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

What a +++++ing dickhole.

Oh hey, isn't that @BSUTOP25?

I was going to let the whole completely unprovoked "eat a big bowl of dicks" comment go but this totally seems like the sort of thing you'd be fanatical enough about your penis extenders and dickish enough to do.

6 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I went through your list and found one B.B. Gun incident and no domestic issues that spilled onto a college campus. Every single one of those on your list other than the B.B. gun one seems to be a valid school shooting where the incident is taking place somewhere on the school grounds and involves someone firing a gun?

I don't consider any of the following to be "school shootings" as you would typically define them. Though it makes me sick that we have to define them in the first place.

January 20: Winston Salem, North Carolina
A Winston-Salem State University football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot to death at a party on the campus of Wake Forest University.

January 31: Philadelphia
A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.

February 24: Savannah, Georgia
A person was shot on the campus of Savannah State University and taken to a nearby hospital where he later died. Neither the victim nor the shooter were university students, the college said.

February 27: Itta Bena, Mississippi
A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening.

March 2: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.

March 7: Birmingham, Alabama
One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.

March 8: Mobile, Alabama
One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

March 13: Seaside, California
A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

April 12: Raytown, Missouri
A man was shot in the stomach in the parking lot of Raytown South Middle School during a track meet.

10 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

March 13: Seaside, California

A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

March 8: Mobile, Alabama

One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

March 7: Birmingham, Alabama

One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.

March 7: Jackson, Mississippi

A student was shot inside a dormitory at Jackson State University. His injuries were not life-threatening.

March 2: Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.

February 27: Norfolk, Virginia

A student at Norfolk State University was shot from an adjacent dorm room while he was doing homework. He was not seriously injured.

January 20: Winston Salem, North Carolina

A Winston-Salem State University football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot to death at a party on the campus of Wake Forest University.

February 27: Itta Bena, Mississippi

A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening

January 31: Philadelphia

A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.

Those aren’t school shootings. At least not how most people think of school shootings.  As I said one is way too many but if you want people to seriously consider gun control you need to use honest statistics. Otherwise it’s just dismissed. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I don't consider any of the following to be "school shootings" as you would typically define them. Though it makes me sick that we have to define them in the first place.

<Snipped list for ease of reading of topic>

I guess it depends on your definition.

I consider any incident where someone is "shot with a gun" on school property to be a "school shooting", but I imagine you're defining it with the shooter's "intent" involved and only consider things like today's. So, yes, I suppose Mug's point is solid that it depends on what you consider as qualifying.

@mugtang too since you and retrofade basically made the same post.