Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

There's so much plastic in the ocean, you're probably eating it in seafood

The next time you purchase a case of 12-ounce water bottles consider this:

By 2050, plastic in the ocean will likely outweigh all the fish in ocean.

Scientists of the World Economic Forum last year estimated there are 5.25 trillion particles weighing 270,000 tons currently floating in the oceans. Some 8 million tons leak into the ocean every year. That's the equivalent of a garbage truck dumping a full load of plastics into the sea every minute.

It's little wonder that several "garbage patches" of plastic particulate trash — one supposedly even bigger than Mexico — are floating in the Pacific.

https://www.sfgate.com/green/article/There-s-so-much-plastic-in-the-ocean-you-re-12720909.php

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

I thought I read somewhere a kid had come up with a genius solution to clean up the oceans.  Let me see if I can find it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I've heard of this, and it is very cool.  What a brilliant kid.  This, of course, is only part of the solution.  The other part being that we stop dumping our garbage into the ocean.  

Once I was helping with a volunteer project and we had to clean up the banks of Coyote Creek in San Jose.

I have never seen so many plastic bottles.

Thousands LITTERED   along the creek bank.

Coyote Creek empties into the southern most part of San Francisco bay.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

On 5/18/2018 at 10:33 AM, Lester_in_reno said:

Once I was helping with a volunteer project and we had to clean up the banks of Coyote Creek in San Jose.

I have never seen so many plastic bottles.

Thousands LITTERED   along the creek bank.

Coyote Creek empties into the southern most part of San Francisco bay.

That happens when there are heavy rains in the Bay which leads to flooding. It happened last year too (pictured), but fortunately it gets cleaned up by the city and volunteers like you. Even though I don't live in San Jose anymore I thank you for helping. :rock: I remember my first semester at SJSU, it rained off and on for over a month. I grew up in San Diego where it might rain for a week or two at most, so I was starting to get depressed. Fortunately it only flooded once when I lived up in the Bay Area. 

See the source image 

See the source image

On 5/18/2018 at 7:48 AM, RiverCityBronco said:

By 2050, plastic in the ocean will likely outweigh all the fish in ocean.

Scientists of the World Economic Forum last year estimated there are 5.25 trillion particles weighing 270,000 tons currently floating in the oceans. Some 8 million tons leak into the ocean every year. That's the equivalent of a garbage truck dumping a full load of plastics into the sea every minute.

It's little wonder that several "garbage patches" of plastic particulate trash — one supposedly even bigger than Mexico — are floating in the Pacific.

https://www.sfgate.com/green/article/There-s-so-much-plastic-in-the-ocean-you-re-12720909.php

You drink more plastic in bottled water and soda's.   Even canned soda's are plastic lined.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, RiverCityBronco said:

Do US municipalities dump trash in the ocean? It seems to me, if Modesto garbage companies are dumping trash in the ocean, then "I" should consider this when purchasing bottled water.  

I think we should be careful as to Collective guilt. If u s garbage companies and municipalities are dumping trash in the ocean, something should be done about it, that I agree with. However, if the United States is not doing that, then we should not portray ourselves as being part of the problem. It sounds like it's a big problem, but I'm not sure what we can do to force other Sovereign countries to stop the practice.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Do US municipalities dump trash in the ocean? It seems to me, if Modesto garbage companies are dumping trash in the ocean, then "I" should consider this when purchasing bottled water.  

I think we should be careful as to Collective guilt. If u s garbage companies and municipalities are dumping trash in the ocean, something should be done about it, that I agree with. However, if the United States is not doing that, then we should not portray ourselves as being part of the problem. It sounds like it's a big problem, but I'm not sure what we can do to force other Sovereign countries to stop the practice.

We aren't the worst, but we do our fair share of dumping garbage in the ocean:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-polluting-ocean-trash-alarming-rate/

And we may not be able to stop other countries from polluting the ocean, but we can certainly do better and lead by example.  

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Aside form using military force, there's always multi-party deals.

Oh, wait...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, RiverCityBronco said:

We aren't the worst, but we do our fair share of dumping garbage in the ocean:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-polluting-ocean-trash-alarming-rate/

And we may not be able to stop other countries from polluting the ocean, but we can certainly do better and lead by example.  

Interesting they quoted pounds instead of tons to exaggerate US contribution to the problem.  Anyway, at 375 tons, it would seem the US contribution to the problem is solvable.  I would think incineration would be preferable to Ocean dumping for the last 375 tons.

110926run_defense710.jpg