Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation

A new survey by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service shows that today, only about 5 percent of Americans, 16 years old and older, actually hunt. That's half of what it was 50 years ago and the decline is expected to accelerate over the next decade.  Meanwhile other wildlife-centered activities, like birdwatching, hiking and photography, are rapidly growing, as American society and attitudes towards wildlife change. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/593001800/decline-in-hunters-threatens-how-u-s-pays-for-conservation

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

Yep, hunters and fisherman are the ones who have always paid the bill for conservation.  Not only the government bill, but they create organizations like ducks unlimited or Bighorn unlimited not to mention dozens of other examples that do nothing but raise money for conservation.

No shit. These PETA type morons that shit their pants at the thought of people hunting don’t do shit for the environment.

It has always been paid for by hunters and fishermen. 

It reminds me of the anti mountain bikers up in the foothills telling us to go somewhere else to ride. 3/4 if those trails wouldn’t even exist without bikers, and the rest of them wouldn’t be worth running/hiking on.

MTBers do far and away the majority of trail building and maintenance.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

24 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

No 2A. No conservation. It’s that simple.

I don't know if I would go that far. I think money can be found elsewhere. It will get lumped in with everything else, so we will see how big of a priority conservation really is.

ETA: The funding model is really broken anyways. It is akin to expecting bicyclists to fund all road repairs.

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I don't know if I would go that far. I think money can be found elsewhere. It will get lumped in with everything else, so we will see how big of a priority conservation really is.

Money can be found elsewhere....please continue

The World Needs More Cowboys!

11 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

ETA: The funding model is really broken anyways. It is akin to expecting bicyclists to fund all road repairs.

Every time a gun is confiscated, a spotted owl dies. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Thoughts and prayers for the spotted owls. :huh:

Your platitudes won’t prevent the planet from being massacred.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

35 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Governments still collect taxes, correct? As I said, it is just a matter of prioritizing expenditures.

Correct.  And we're spending more than we collect before this change, so where it's going to come from.  Nobody wants to cut anything as it is.

56 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Correct.  And we're spending more than we collect before this change, so where it's going to come from.  Nobody wants to cut anything as it is.

Again, that goes back to prioritization. I'm not going to leap into government budgets and start advocating policy decisions. That's up to them damn representatives we elect. And if the people determine that conservation is more worthy of funding than all-day kindergarten or the defense budget or whatever, well then they should let their representatives know.

Or for the small-government / libertarian inclined, we could have bell ringers outside every sporting good store and send the donation to World Wildlife Fund or Audubon Society, or whatever not for profit will be appropriate to take over managing conservation on behalf of the gubmint.

10 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Again, that goes back to prioritization. I'm not going to leap into government budgets and start advocating policy decisions. That's up to them damn representatives we elect. And if the people determine that conservation is more worthier of funding than all-day kindergarten or the defense budget or whatever, well then they should let their representatives know.

Or for the small-government / libertarian inclined, we could have bell ringers outside every sporting good store and send the donation to World Wildlife or Audubon Society, or whatever not for profit will be appropriate to take over managing conservation on behalf of the gubmint.

All I'm saying is that this situation already exists. It has been our situation for decades.  And we've continued to spend more than we collect.  I'm not sure the epiphany you espouse will ever happen.  I'll say hi when I walk past you ringing the bell :) 

Just now, pokebball said:

All I'm saying is that this situation already exists. It has been our situation for decades.  And we've continued to spend more than we collect.  I'm not sure the epiphany you espouse will ever happen.  I'll say hi when I walk past you ringing the bell :) 

I actually agree, but there aren't really any other solutions I see. I seriously doubt use fees for hikers are going to make up the difference from the gradual extinction of hunting licenses. I suspect much of the work will be undertaken by volunteers and not for profits.

Hunting is getting too expensive for the average guy. We're spoiled out here in that we have so much public land available for hunting, free of charge. That is not the case in many other places.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

No 2A. No conservation. It’s that simple.

7 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Yep, hunters and fisherman are the ones who have always paid the bill for conservation.  Not only the government bill, but they create organizations like ducks unlimited or Bighorn unlimited not to mention dozens of other examples that do nothing but raise money for conservation.

So you guys are OK with hunting tags, etc. essentially providing free government handouts to Mother Nature? Hypocrites. Why can't nature just be responsible and conserve itself?

There is a solution that wont cost us anything. It will also help with the forest fire problems we have out west every year, in a very big way. 

Managed logging and replanting our national forests. Good managed logging can produce mega profits to pay for Conservation and also reduce the mega expense of fighting wildfires. It isn't just climate change that causes forest fires. When the "Spotted Owl" fiasco got logging pretty much shut down in Idaho in the 90's, it really hurt the economy of northern Idaho and all that now unmanaged growth resulted in much worse forest fires the last ten years or so. 

Unmanaged growth Forests burn. And the cost of fighting those fires are astronomical. 

Lets carefully log our national forests, not clear cutting entire mountain sides but carefully planned and managed harvesting of forests and a systematic replanting program. The cost of lumber would even drop, we wouldn't need to buy expensive cedar from Canada anymore either. 

Many of the trees that got "hugged" by the extreme left in the early 90's have burned down by now. If the areas surrounding were properly mangaged and logged, those old growth trees would still be standing. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

What exactly are hunting fees paying for? Is it just game management? What else is being "conserved" by the fees hunters pay. Honest question. I am ignorant and would like to be educated.