Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad_Hatter

Dog People

3 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I’ve recently adopted a purebred Newfoundland puppy from a local rescue shelter. I’ve had dogs all my life, but never a large/giant breed like this. Advice? Suggestions? Insults? Go... 

I had a Great Dane once, and the best advice I can give you is to make sure you walk your dog. If my dog didn't burn off some energy on a daily walk/run he'd burn it off in other ways around the house, which was not good. I know your dog is a puppy but he'll grow up fast, so I suggest you start walking him as soon as he's able. Enjoy your new friend. 

8 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I’ve recently adopted a purebred Newfoundland puppy from a local rescue shelter. I’ve had dogs all my life, but never a large/giant breed like this. Advice? Suggestions? Insults? Go... 

Buy bigger poop bags. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

6 hours ago, crixus said:

I had a Great Dane once, and the best advice I can give you is to make sure you walk your dog. If my dog didn't burn off some energy on a daily walk/run he'd burn it off in other ways around the house, which was not good. I know your dog is a puppy but he'll grow up fast, so I suggest you start walking him as soon as he's able. Enjoy your new friend. 

Newfoundlands don't need the amount of walking that other dogs do. They are pretty happy laying around. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't walk him but in my experience newfoundlands don't have a whole lot of excess energy to burn off.

Newfoundlands are great dogs. My family had one when I was in high school and my brother currently owns one. One suggestion I would have since you have a puppy, is to be careful about how much you wrestle around with him and have him as a lap dog now. He looks like a little bear cub or ball of fur and it is fun to wrestle but as the get BIG they don't always learn their new size and will still try to wrestle with you the same way or be in your lap. Also always have a towel ready, the slobber is serious.

Pics?

Guest RoscoesDad

Newfies are great dogs but they are a handful, especially young.  One of my clients got a 150lb newfie puppy last year and the thing was a goddamn wrecking ball. My 75lb shepherd couldn't last more than 2-3 mins playing with him.  Best advice I could give you is to hire a trainer.  Once they are trained, they settle down into great docile giants.

16 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Another thing you only need if you live in a shithole.

Buy a few acres and live like a reasonable person not like a bunch of rats.

I wouldn’t want dog turds all over my few acres. In the city I wouldn’t have one at all. 

39 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wouldn’t want dog turds all over my few acres. In the city I wouldn’t have one at all. 

City people are so ridiculous.  You have animal turds all over any property you have.  Those squirrels, mice, birds, insects and such all take a shit too.  Even those cockroaches that live off the rats in your house have to take a dump.

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

City people are so ridiculous.  You have animal turds all over any property you have.  Those squirrels, mice, birds, insects and such all take a shit too.  Even those cockroaches that live off the rats in your house have to take a dump.

You need therapy.

10 hours ago, tspoke said:

Newfoundlands don't need the amount of walking that other dogs do. They are pretty happy laying around. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't walk him but in my experience newfoundlands don't have a whole lot of excess energy to burn off.

Newfoundlands are great dogs. My family had one when I was in high school and my brother currently owns one. One suggestion I would have since you have a puppy, is to be careful about how much you wrestle around with him and have him as a lap dog now. He looks like a little bear cub or ball of fur and it is fun to wrestle but as the get BIG they don't always learn their new size and will still try to wrestle with you the same way or be in your lap. Also always have a towel ready, the slobber is serious.

Pics?

Here she is. About 3 months. 42 pounds. 618E9020-B406-4171-8492-F2918E69FF42.thumb.jpeg.83717611d0ab212b7252d0f33d99af7c.jpeg

e1ccdd01-2938-4d7a-868e-3c423203b0d9-original.jpeg