Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Wyo joins the small group of G5 conf schools

Wyo joins the small group of G5 conference schools with first round picks in both football and men's basketball!

I feel obligated to recognize Fresno as I believe is the only other MWC school to hold such an honor!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

In another month Boise State will join that list. By the way are Allen and Nance the two for Wyoming. Who are Fresno’s two? Carr and ? 

Paul George, for recency's sake....Melvin Ely and Chris Jeffries back during the same timeframe as Carr the Elder.

48 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Wyo joins the small group of G5 conference schools with first round picks in both football and men's basketball!

I feel obligated to recognize Fresno as I believe is the only other MWC school to hold such an honor!

What?

Nevada has had 3 first round NFL picks (they had 2 in 1984) and 3 1st round NBA picks.

SDSU also belongs on that list.

46 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I guess we need to know what criteria you are using.  Only during the era of "G5" or "MWC" or are you claiming at any time?

CSU has previously had a few 1st round draft picks for NFL (including a #1 overall), and most recently had Jason Smith in 2007 selected #20 in 2007 NBA draft.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What?

Nevada has had 3 first round NFL picks (they had 2 in 1984) and 3 1st round NBA picks.

There was no such thing as G5 back then.  You see, I crafted my OP carefully.  But out of curiosity, who are they?

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

There was no such thing as G5 back then.  You see, I crafted my OP carefully.  But out of curiosity, who are they?

Why do you feel the need to make the distinction?  Nevada is still a G5 conference school now, and it's not like they were in a much bigger or more prestigious conference back then.

In any event... welcome to club Wyo, glad you could join us.

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Basketball: Luke Babbitt 16th overall; Kirk Snyder 16th overall; Javale McGee 18th overall

Football: Alphonso Williams 1984 20th overall; Tony Zendejas 27th overall; Stan Heath 5th overall in 1949:D

San Diego State has had 10 1st round picks in football including Marshall Faulk at #2.

They've had 2 1st rounders in bball.

And they also fit your criteria with Rashaad Penny this year #27 and Kawai Leonard #15 in 2011.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Why do you feel the need to make the distinction?  Nevada is still a G5 conference school now, and it's not like they were in a much bigger or more prestigious conference back then.

In any event... welcome to club Wyo, glad you could join us.

Honestly, to exclude CSU & BYU

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

Stick with 7220. That's really all ya' got

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Stick with 7220. That's really all ya' got

Oh, and we've got all time record versus San Diego State in both football and men's basketball

And I should stand corrected because Penny did put SDSU in this elite group too.  So where's that leave us?

SDSU, FSU and Wyo!

Come on BSU, I'm rooting for you!

15 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Courtney Alexander was the 13th overall I believe. 

yeah but ely and jeffries were closer to carr in terms of time, that's why i mentioned them

32 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Has any G5 ever had a first round NFL and NBA draft picks in the same year or will Boise be the first if Hutch goes in the first round?

paul george and ryan mathews in 2010