Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Athlon ranks all 130 starting quarterbacks for the 2018 season

One site's opinion. Never know how it'll actually play out until they take the field and there's obviously going to be a bias for returning production vs. new, incoming guys who could very well be total studs.

I do think it's a bit cruel to go all the way down to #130 and start the page at the very bottom highlighting the (allegedly) worst QB in the country in FBS. Maybe cut things off at #100 and leave some ambiguity.

For Hawaii QB McDonald it makes sense. He's likely had enough combined game experience for maybe a full game at best with all his snaps combined. And most times he was just handing off to the RB Saint Juste or having designed runs for himself.

Very hard to judge or rank a QB anywhere remotely high with that kind of experience.

With a new Offense and Brown (to the love of many Hawaii fans) transferring out, the QB position is still open going into Fall Camp.

17 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

One site's opinion. Never know how it'll actually play out until they take the field and there's obviously going to be a bias for returning production vs. new, incoming guys who could very well be total studs.

I do think it's a bit cruel to go all the way down to #130 and start the page at the very bottom highlighting the (allegedly) worst QB in the country in FBS. Maybe cut things off at #100 and leave some ambiguity.

best way to do it is to do a top 50 or some other round number that makes sense, imo. That way you avoid this and you can drive traffic by making fans angry their team's QB didn't make the cut.

anyway mcmaryion is a bit low but i can understand why, he didn't put up mega stats (2636 total yards, 16 total TD/4 INT)  because he was a backup for 4 games and took a backseat to the run game a lot when it was going (best example SDSU game).   I think with the expanded playbook and more free reign he'll end up somewhere like 3600 28/10.

1 minute ago, VandalPride97 said:

Finley at #13 is almost as preposterous as Rypien at #17.

Having said that, nothing is more preposterous than going from FBS to FCS.

Finley has turned into a pretty good QB.  I have seen some mock drafts projecting him as a first rounder.

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Finley has turned into a pretty good QB.  I have seen some mock drafts projecting him as a first rounder.

He was getting some good press towards the end of the year for sure. 

2 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

For Hawaii QB McDonald it makes sense. He's likely had enough combined game experience for maybe a full game at best with all his snaps combined. And most times he was just handing off to the RB Saint Juste or having designed runs for himself.

Very hard to judge or rank a QB anywhere remotely high with that kind of experience.

With a new Offense and Brown (to the love of many Hawaii fans) transferring out, the QB position is still open going into Fall Camp.

I found this unbelievable: Dru Brown’s decision to transfer to Oklahoma State

A quality Big 12 school actually wanted Dru Brown? He's gotta be a walk-on there right? That or a nephew of Boone Pickens?

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

why isn't josh allen ranked?

Poor guy went full Japanese Anime. Torrid affair with a catgirl and, once it became public, kicked off the team.

38 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I found this unbelievable: Dru Brown’s decision to transfer to Oklahoma State

A quality Big 12 school actually wanted Dru Brown? He's gotta be a walk-on there right? That or a nephew of Boone Pickens?

I remember reading somewhere people comparing Brown to Mayfield...

I believe he is a grad transfer walkon, the news sidestruck Rolo when he heard that Dru was considering transferring before this past winter. He didn't expect to have to go into Spring Camp with a new QB. But many Hawaii fans (including myself) wanted to see someone else at QB and wanted to see more McDonald actually throwing the ball. Since Dru's main criticism is he had a weak arm, and once Ursua went down midseason the passing game vanished completely even when Collie was still there, which is why Rolo hunkered down on the running game with DSJ.

I think thats part of the reason many Hawaii fans are lenient in giving Rolo at least another year with all the changes he did/just happened this offseason. 

-Get a Coaching Staff that has more Experience and seems to get along better

-Get someone better than Collie was at the opposite slot from Ursua (Cedric Byrd)

-Get a new starting QB

-Return of the RnS (which many local fans were wanting)

-New Defensive Coordinator with Experience with some success recently (FAU with Kiffin)

Finley is not the same kid that played for Boise State. I watched about half of NCSUs games and he played really well. His accuracy was really good as well as his decision making. He definitely has a shot at the NFL. 

As far as the Spartans are concerned, I'd give the nod to Montel Aaron over Josh Love. I'm a WVU fan too (long before I went to SJSU), and Athlon is right about Will Grier. He's a great QB, and if the Mountaineers improve on defense they should be in the mix for a Big 12 title. 

4 hours ago, crixus said:

As far as the Spartans are concerned, I'd give the nod to Montel Aaron over Josh Love. I'm a WVU fan too (long before I went to SJSU), and Athlon is right about Will Grier. He's a great QB and if the Mountaineers improve on defense they should be in the mix for a Big 12 title. 

i don't think either QB would have great success with that playcalling and OL.  Watching SJSU's staff hang Love out to dry against Fresno honestly made me feel bad for him.

13 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i don't think either QB would have great success with that playcalling and OL.  Watching SJSU's staff hang Love out to dry against Fresno honestly made me feel bad for him.

SJSU hired a receiver's coach to be our Head Coach, and that got us two wins last season. Wow! We'll be lucky to double that this coming season. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

You could be describing Aaron against SDSU. I checked the SJSU board after the curb stomping and was amazed at the vitriol directed at that kid despite the fact he managed to complete half his passes for an average of about 10 yards per throw and was only sacked three times. With SJSU's line, a less mobile QB would have been beaten into submission.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, crixus said:

SJSU hired a receiver's coach to be our Head Coach, and that got us two wins last season. Wow! We'll be lucky to double that this coming season. :rolleyes:

Actually, you'll be lucky to go winless so your administration will be forced to fire a coach who never should have been hired in the first place.

What kind of guy should have been hired who perhaps could have been hired? A proven FCS coach who has been slightly less successful than Craig Bohl should be possible.

Boom goes the dynamite.