Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Hawaii friends

About 3 years ago my wife and I stayed in that area where they had to evacuate.  I had no idea that there was a potential volcanic tunnel underneath it. 

When I think about it, when they were constructing the new road that went directly from the Kona side to the Hilo side we encountered a traffic stop so I asked the construction guys what the hold up was about.  They said they found an empty lava tunnel that was underneath the old road that paralleled the new one that they were laying.  They didn't know it was there.  It probably would have engulfed an 18 wheeler.  Scary thought.      

11 hours ago, bsubroncochick said:

Ditto. Hope everything’s ok with you all. 

sistah,i need financial help getting through this tragic act of nature.i take pay pal.mahalo.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, aztech said:

About 3 years ago my wife and I stayed in that area where they had to evacuate.  I had no idea that there was a potential volcanic tunnel underneath it. 

When I think about it, when they were constructing the new road that went directly from the Kona side to the Hilo side we encountered a traffic stop so I asked the construction guys what the hold up was about.  They said they found an empty lava tunnel that was underneath the old road that paralleled the new one that they were laying.  They didn't know it was there.  It probably would have engulfed an 18 wheeler.  Scary thought.      

Dude....the entirety of Hawaii is a volcano...the whole thing has magma under it

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

On 5/8/2018 at 3:11 AM, LoFasZz said:

Dude....the entirety of Hawaii is a volcano...the whole thing has magma under it

Well, more accurately, it's a series of volcanoes that over time have been passing over a single hotspot. Haleakula, Mana Loa, and Kilauea are all distinct volcanoes.

I had a friend I have since lost touch with who lived in that area. He and his gf were showing my wife and I some properties around Leilani Estates.

Anybody else ever hoof it to the active flow? We did back in 2001 - parked at the end of Chain of Craters Rd and hiked over dried flow for +/-5km to the active flow emanating from Pu'u O'o. We found a vent to a lava tube (that sounded like a torrent), and I worked my way down to the lava bench, where I stood so damn close to flowing lava that it melted part of the bottom of my Vans... it was a humbling and awe-inspiring experience.

hole4MWF.jpg

Lava24_MWC.jpg

Lava44_MWF.jpg

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 5/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, JohnAdams said:

I hope this didn’t damage the stairway to heaven any further I’m planning on climbing that next year

Stairway is on Oahu(Kaneohe). About 80-85 percent of Hawaii State population resides on Oahu.The main modernized Isle....Big Island(Named Hawaii) has the active volcano. It is a tragic so see those who homes on the B.I are being tarnished. Sending good vibes 

5D5579D6-04AF-4602-8E15-9CB0D3727E0C.png

Related image

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, TRVIT said:

Stairway is on Oahu(Kaneohe). About 80-85 percent of Hawaii State population resides on Oahu.The main modernized Isle....Big Island(Named Hawaii) has the active volcano

5D5579D6-04AF-4602-8E15-9CB0D3727E0C.png

All is good on Niihau.

For anyone interested, an enormous lava fountain has been erupting at Kilauea for about the last 3-4 hours. CNN is streaming it live here.

Below is a screenshot form earlier. For a sense of scale, check out the mature tree canopy in the foreground (to the right):

CNNLava_Fountain1.jpg

21 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

this is just another struggle.we always come back.you already know cuz.

hope larrys ok

8k3esKz.png

On 5/10/2018 at 2:02 PM, aztech said:

Yeah, like Yellowstone.

I may be mistaken but didn't Yellowstone form in the "Hawaii" hot spot?  Of course, if Yellowstone goes, going to make all of the other volcanic eruptions look small in comparison.  

down in a hole.jpg

On 5/8/2018 at 4:11 AM, LoFasZz said:

Dude, the entire earth has magma under it

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 5/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Broncomare said:

I may be mistaken but didn't Yellowstone form in the "Hawaii" hot spot?  Of course, if Yellowstone goes, going to make all of the other volcanic eruptions look small in comparison.  

Nah, the Yellowstone hotspot trail runs up through Idaho and in to Canada. If memory serves me, the Snake River basalt flats (or whatever they're called, never been to Idaho) are related.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Broncomare said:

Yep. Different hotspots:

Fig31.gif

"More than a hundred hotspots beneath the Earth's crust have been active during the past 10 million years."

Link