Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

No more "Boy" in Scouts

Wow! How will this play out across the country? I'm sure there will be lawsuits on the horizon.

Have many of the Church sponsored troops in Utah already distanced themselves from BSA?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/02/607678097/boy-scouts-changing-name-to-scouts-bsa-as-girls-welcomed-into-program

edit: Oh, I'm sure several posters will be here shortly to complain about "political correctness".

I'm all for it. Though, I wasn't ever a scout, so my view is different than what I'm guessing are a good number of former scouts around here.

The closest I ever got was going backpacking with a friend and doing some stuff towards getting some badges for him or something, and then going to his Eagle Scout ceremony a few years later. 

I remember trying to join as a kid in Wyoming and not being able to because the pack was run by Mormons and I wasn't Mormon. What a bunch of assholes. 

I hope they change their name to the "Zhe Scouts" 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

I remember trying to join as a kid in Wyoming and not being able to because the pack was run by Mormons and I wasn't Mormon. What a bunch of assholes. 

I hope they change their name to the "Zhe Scouts" 

Meh, I am the cub scout master in our neighborhood and have 3 or 4 non LDS kids that participate with our troop.

LDS troops don't have girls in them, however.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I was a scout. I think it's a good thing.

I would think the LDS troops would eventually have to comply or lose their affiliation.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

23 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I was a scout. I think it's a good thing.

I would think the LDS troops would eventually have to comply or lose their affiliation.

BSA has said LDS troops can do what they want.  Over half of the troops in BSA are LDS affiliated, so I think they'll continue to let them do whatever they want.  We have a program called Activity Days for girls within the LDS organization.  BSA changes their policies every time someone complains about it, so they just go where the wind takes them.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

52 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Meh, I am the cub scout master in our neighborhood and have 3 or 4 non LDS kids that participate with our troop.

LDS troops don't have girls in them, however.  

Maybe this is why Joe in Wyo wasn't allowed in.

6 hours ago, RamSack said:

Maybe this is why Joe in Wyo wasn't allowed in.

That's no way to talk to your future step father. 

Never was into the scouts, and when I was a kid, the geeky dudes that were bad at sports went for the scouts. And they were considered pvssies. But that was just a dumb take on them, and I think it's really sad how it's been such a pushover for the left to drag them into PC politics. 

kat.jpg

9 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wow! How will this play out across the country? I'm sure there will be lawsuits on the horizon.

Have many of the Church sponsored troops in Utah already distanced themselves from BSA?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/02/607678097/boy-scouts-changing-name-to-scouts-bsa-as-girls-welcomed-into-program

edit: Oh, I'm sure several posters will be here shortly to complain about "political correctness".

Yeah, imagine anyone calling out PC as PC. That would be so traumatic. 😸

kat.jpg

End of girl scouts in my opinion. Look what happened to the seven sisters after the ivy league let women in. Or historically black colleges after other colleges let in minorities. Girl scouts will be hurting in a decade or so.

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

There are already faith based groups for boys and girls across the country (Awana, Trail Life USA , Frontier Girls, Royal Rangers) depending on the denomination they're affiliated with. Both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have lost a lot of members due to the politics of their leadership over the past few decades, hence the growth of those faith based groups. The conservative Christian community has already distanced themselves, so I don't think this will be a big deal with them anymore. My church has Awana.

Not good for Girl Scouts. As long as they stay around I think it’s a net positive, but if the Girl Scouts ever were to go away or merge with the BSA then I think it’s a bad thing overall. BSA will continue to be male dominated and overall girl participation in scouts will drop if there is no all female alternative. 

Ultimately I think Girl Scouts will survive though.