Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Finland ends its basic income trial

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43866700

In spite of this, the Nordic countries are going to have to find a way to deal with growing populations, job automation, and contraction in industrial production. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

22 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Shocked!

The thing to keep in mind here is that the rapid advance of transformative automated technology in combination with a growing population will eventually lead to a social crisis in most advanced economies. No matter where you fall on the economic philosophy spectrum, disruption is coming and we need to find a way to deal with it.  

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The thing to keep in mind here is that the rapid advance of transformative automated technology in combination with a growing population will eventually lead to a social crisis in most advanced economies. No matter where you fall on the economic philosophy spectrum, disruption is coming and we need to find a way to deal with it.  

No offense but Marx said this same thing during the industrial revolution and we adapted.  I'm sure the same was said when we went from an agrarian society to living in cities.  We will adapt.  Automation isn't coming along that fast.

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

No offense but Marx said this same thing during the industrial revolution and we adapted.  I'm sure the same was said when we went from an agrarian society to living in cities.  We will adapt.  Automation isn't coming along that fast.

I'm no marxist ... but given what I'm exposed to at work, I think we're going to be faced with unprecedented social challenges about 20 to 50 years down the road. I don't have the answer to how we adjust but automation is going to become more prevalent and autonomous. I just spent a week at a thought leadership tech conference in New York going where this was a primary topic. 

23 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm no marxist ... but given what I'm exposed to at work, I think we're going to be faced with unprecedented social challenges about 20 to 50 years down the road. I don't have the answer to how we adjust but automation is going to become more prevalent and autonomous. I just spent a week at a thought leadership tech conference in New York going where this was a primary topic. 

Low level jobs for sure will start going away.  I'm in the process of automating out 200+ call center jobs for a client.  But we have had this huge upheaval before and adapted just fine.  People will retrain into new sectors of support just as they always have.  

6 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Low level jobs for sure will start going away.  I'm in the process of automating out 200+ call center jobs for a client.  But we have had this huge upheaval before and adapted just fine.  People will retrain into new sectors of support just as they always have.  

It is going to be very interesting how our economic systems/drivers and society at large is going to evolve. 

6 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Sure but it did take a couple hundred years of upheaval to adapt. 

Unless you're planning on living for 500 years "upheaval" will be most of our lives. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

It is going to be very interesting how our economic systems/drivers and society at large is going to evolve. 

It will.  I don't know how but it will.  We are a long way from the Arthur C Clarke version of complete automation of everything.  Even then there are just things Human minds do better and faster than computer do.

Just now, happycamper said:

Sure but it did take a couple hundred years of upheaval to adapt. 

Unless you're planning on living for 500 years "upheaval" will be most of our lives. 

Singularity bytches!!!!  Sure adaptation takes a while but it will happen out of necessity.  It's already happened in the US with manufacturing jobs moving over seas.  People moved into service jobs.

31 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I think you are sleeping too much on AI. I see a majority of lawyers being replaced by artificial intelligence within 20 years, for example.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think you are sleeping too much on AI. I see a majority of lawyers being replaced by artificial intelligence within 20 years, for example.

I think you are giving estimates and projections too much credit.  A true Human level AI is probably going to need quantum computing to exist.  And that is still a ways a way from being functional let alone small enough scale to be widely used. 

Just now, HR_Poke said:

I think you are giving estimates and projections too much credit.  A true Human level AI is probably going to need quantum computing to exist.  And that is still a ways a way from being functional let alone small enough scale to be widely used. 

IBM's Watson has already proven that to not be the case.  You do not need a computer comparable to a human brain for the computer to do tasks better than humans.  

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

IBM's Watson has already proven that to not be the case.  You do not need a computer comparable to a human brain for the computer to do tasks better than humans.  

for easy tasks sure.  But complex tasks are still far beyond an AI.  I can look at a map and tell you if an address is serviceable in 3 seconds.  An AI will take 30 minutes and doesn't have enough information to make the correct decision even 50% of the time.

34 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

for easy tasks sure.  But complex tasks are still far beyond an AI.  I can look at a map and tell you if an address is serviceable in 3 seconds.  An AI will take 30 minutes and doesn't have enough information to make the correct decision even 50% of the time.

We will see.  AI is advancing at an ever accelerating pace.  Interesting times.

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

Individual tasks will be done by AIs but jobs will still be the realm of people. 

If your job is "one or two tasks, full stop" then just like in previous eras, look over your shoulder. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

30 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Individual tasks will be done by AIs but jobs will still be the realm of people. 

If your job is "one or two tasks, full stop" then just like in previous eras, look over your shoulder. 

That's pretty much the summary of one of the sessions we went through re AI, autonomous systems, and human capital. There will obviously still be a need for certain services that are enhanced by human touch/interaction but jobs that involve manual repetition, and especially those that involve hazardous situations, are for the most part going away.