Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Calipari pushes for a HS combine

If a HS kid goes to the NBA it should be for a guaranteed contract. No marginal G league contracts. 

The NBA needs college basketball because FREE is the cheapest developmental system there us. I can't see the league screwing up a good thing.  

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

38 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry, but I disagree with you if you think this is about racism, and there is some sort of mythical guy behind a curtain, pushing buttons, and trying to oppress black athletes in the NBA and NFL. 

Fact is, the league doesn't just mandate the system...the Players Association Unions of both leagues have a large say in how the system works as well.  It's collective bargaining....Owners and Players want to maximize their profits.

The only possible "racist" thing i could imagine would be to say that the Players Union in the mostly "white league" (hockey or MLB), are inherently smarter, better negotiators than the players in the mostly "black league" (NFL and NBA).  I doubt that is the case.... So, maybe the Players in the NBA and NFL like the NBA and NFL systems?  What incentive do current players in each league have to make it easier for high school kids to be easily drafted, and take their roster spots?

Perhaps owners in MLB and the NHL can more easily empathize with their players. I can't imagine why that might be.

8 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Perhaps owners in MLB and the NHL can more easily empathize with their players. I can't imagine why that might be.

OFFS Give it a phucking rest. I can't speak to the NHL But the reason MLB. differs from the NBA and NFL has more to do with when it came to pass than racism. Professional baseball developed as a sport long before the advent of college athletics at a meaningful level. The NBA and NFL became professional sports BECAUSE OF THE POPULARITY OF THE COLLEGE GAME!

Both league prefer the relationship with the college remain, not only because of the skills developmental aspects but because. By the time these young men are drafted, they are already stars with a national following in many instaces.

Besides, only a complete jackass would consider the act of requiring a young man to attend university, free of charge, IRRESPECTIVE OF RACE, an act of racism. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

20 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

It's also more like a "semester and done".  These guys don't even attend class during January and February.

It needs to change.

Bill Walker at Kansas State reclassified and tried playing just the spring semester and would then be eligible. He wouldn't have had to go to a single class if he didn't blow he knee out his third game.

11 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I don’t know if I would say all that, considering in my lifetime only the MLB and NHL have had work stoppages that have canceled whole seasons. And as dumb as the one and done rule is, the NBA is the only league that allows teenagers to sign multi million dollars with guaranteed money, plus they have the highest average salary of any American sports league. In baseball the player’s wages are suppressed until their final year or two of arbitration, which doesn’t happen for most guys until 10 years or so after they are drafted, whereas NBA players can sign max extensions like 2-3 years after being drafted, where most MLB prospects are still making about 2,000 a month in AA or AAA.

15 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry, but I disagree with you if you think this is about racism, and there is some sort of mythical guy behind a curtain, pushing buttons, and trying to oppress black athletes in the NBA and NFL. 

Fact is, the league doesn't just mandate the system...the Players Association Unions of both leagues have a large say in how the system works as well.  It's collective bargaining....Owners and Players want to maximize their profits.

The only possible "racist" thing i could imagine would be to say that the Players Union in the mostly "white league" (hockey or MLB), are inherently smarter, better negotiators than the players in the mostly "black league" (NFL and NBA).  I doubt that is the case.... So, maybe the Players in the NBA and NFL like the NBA and NFL systems?  What incentive do current players in each league have to make it easier for high school kids to be easily drafted, and take their roster spots?

The main problem with the NFLPA was having Gene Upshaw run it for 15 years or so. Upshaw took the players out on strike in 1987 and the result was disastrous. Contrary to MLBPA strikes which have either ended in a draw or the union winning, the NFLPA was obliterated by the owners. Then there was the NFLPA actually trying to decertify itself. What union would ever do such a thing except as an act of desperation? Then there was Upshaw's less than astute reply to being questioned about whether the NFLPA had sold retired players down the river in order to finally obtain free agency: as FORMER players, they were no longer in the union so unlike current players they weren't his bosses so he didn't have to listen to them. Upshaw stayed in power by surrounding himself with yes men and bullying those who dared to disagree with him. With his ridiculous salary (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/upshaw-raking-6-7-million-article-1.268003) Upshaw was the kind of union boss who has given the labor movement a bad name in this country and the NFLPA never recovered from his terrible "leadership."

Before I'm accused of being racist for saying that, the NBA players union, which has been run by mainly African Americans, has been well managed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

OFFS Give it a phucking rest. I can't speak to the NHL But the reason MLB. differs from the NBA and NFL has more to do with when it came to pass than racism. Professional baseball developed as a sport long before the advent of college athletics at a meaningful level. The NBA and NFL became professional sports BECAUSE OF THE POPULARITY OF THE COLLEGE GAME!

Both league prefer the relationship with the college remain, not only because of the skills developmental aspects but because. By the time these young men are drafted, they are already stars with a national following in many instaces.

Besides, only a complete jackass would consider the act of requiring a young man to attend university, free of charge, IRRESPECTIVE OF RACE, an act of racism. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The main problem with the NFLPA was having Gene Upshaw run it for 15 years or so. Upshaw took the players out on strike in 1987 and the result was disastrous. Contrary to MLBPA strikes which have either ended in a draw or the union winning, the NFLPA was obliterated by the owners. Then there was the NFLPA actually trying to decertify itself. What union would ever do such a thing except as an act of desperation? Then there was Upshaw's less than astute reply to being questioned about whether the NFLPA had sold retired players down the river in order to finally obtain free agency: as FORMER players, they were no longer in the union so unlike current players they weren't his bosses so he didn't have to listen to them. Upshaw stayed in power by surrounding himself with yes men and bullying those who dared to disagree with him. With his ridiculous salary (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/upshaw-raking-6-7-million-article-1.268003) Upshaw was the kind of union boss who has given the labor movement a bad name in this country and the NFLPA never recovered from his terrible "leadership."

Before I'm accused of being racist for saying that, the NBA players union, which has been run by mainly African Americans, has been well managed.

Good, informative posts...  Adds a lot of context .

It seems like there is a trend to draw shallow conclusions, asserting "racism" or "sexism", nowadays, without any attempt to dig deeper and see actual facts.   Intellectually lazy.

And if the NBA Players Association thinks that some of the league Policies are racist (it's been asserted they are racist because most of the NBA owners were born with white skin), then they can negotiate a change in policies, or call for a Strike.   The irony though is that most NBA owners are probably liberal Democrats (probably don't fit the racist stereotype).  They probably don't want to draft High schoolers because most end up being busts, rather than LeBron James.  This policy is about money...nothing more.

19 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s ridiculous that high school players can’t be drafted. I’m surprised the aclu hasn’t tried to sue the league over it.

Its equally ridiculous that players have to “declare” for the draft. Why can’t nba teams draft whoever they want and then let it be the players choice whether they want to sign? If a kid has college eligibility and doesn’t want a second-round non-guaranteed contract, he should be able to come back to school. If a high school kid isn’t drafted, he should still have college in his back pocket. 

In college hockey, players can be under contract with an nhl team and still suit up for their college team. They just can’t collect a paycheck. 

It shouldn’t be surprising at all that sports where the majority of players are white (baseball and hockey) have more flexible systems that give players options while majority-black sports (football and basketball) attempt to control players and prevent them from obtaining even the most minuscule level of agency. 

I like the idea of NBA teams just drafting who they want and if a college player gets drafted he can go pro or stay in school.  Colleges want players to stay longer don't make them declare for the draft.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

On 4/21/2018 at 10:11 PM, #1Stunner said:

the NFL union is notoriously trash as of late.  The NBA players' union is much better (as of late)...which imo is why there's legitimate discussion about redoing the college rules in the first place.