Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Fresno State Professor

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

You are speaking about between people and the government, correct? Or are you saying this exists between an employer and their employee?

He doesn't have a clue.  And only an authoritarian, snowflake would ask him questions like that. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

You are speaking about between people and the government, correct? Or are you saying this exists between an employer and their employee?

Between people and government.

A employer can do what they want unless they are the federal government.

23 hours ago, mysfit said:

Educators are also private citizens.

IMO we need to reinstate the boundaries between our personal and professional lives. It's not just about free speech but balance and quality in our lives.

Employers intruding into our lives away from work needs to end. This may not be the best example, but the fact remains there is a great deal of employer over reach and we need better boundaries.

If you are going to go that route, employees personal lives and views should not intrude on the employer.

110926run_defense710.jpg

If THIS, hideous, disturbed, miserable flesh pile is what the tenure system produces? THIS is the best and brightest?  THIS is what we want educating the next generation? Filthy disgusting pig.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 4/18/2018 at 9:00 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I wouldn’t share it anywhere else but here right now but I used to joke about how nice it was of Dubyah to put his Mom on the dollar bill...

I honestly believe she would have found that funny as hell.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

See the source image

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Anything.  I think it is better on burgers to be honest.

Do they serve fry sauce at the Sno Bunny Drive-in?  If not, fry sauce is probably a fraud. 

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 4/22/2018 at 2:31 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

Is it a big deal if you have full time work with all the perks, but no tenure?  

I’d wouldn’t even trade it for a much higher salary because, honestly, it’s  more valuable than money. 

Example: a department at our college is going away in the next couple years. Obsolete, so says the chancellor. So the college is paying the tenured profs of that department (there’s only 3 of them) to get a masters degree in something else, and once they do, they’ll be integrated into a new department that their shiny new (and free) degree qualifies them for. 

Theres no other job like that. If you become obsolete in the private sector, you’re laid off. And if you need additional training or education to catch up, you do it on your own time and your own dime. 

So yeah, you can’t buy job security like that. It’s why competition for these jobs is so stiff, even at community colleges that don’t pay that well (comparatively). It’s why people work part time for years and wait to start their careers and put off adult things like buying homes and having children. It keeps the job prestigious and worthwhile. 

I definitely wouldn’t volunteer to spend 16 hours a week with 18-19-year-olds and spend the rest of my work week reading their garbled “insights” on topics they don’t fully understand without it. 

Having said all that, it definitely gets abused. I know of more than a few who are close to retirement and phoning it in. I’d like to see a system that requires you to stay current in order to keep your job - you’re still tenured, you can’t be fired without a serious violation of your contract, but you have to demonstrate that you still give a shit.

I also wouldn’t object to a clause along the lines of causing public embarrassment to the college as a reason to deny/revoke tenure, but it would have to be carefully worded because I can definitely see it being abused. 

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’d wouldn’t even trade it for a much higher salary because, honestly, it’s  more valuable than money. 

Example: a department at our college is going away in the next couple years. Obsolete, so says the chancellor. So the college is paying the tenured profs of that department (there’s only 3 of them) to get a masters degree in something else, and once they do, they’ll be integrated into a new department that their shiny new (and free) degree qualifies them for. 

Theres no other job like that. If you become obsolete in the private sector, you’re laid off. And if you need additional training or education to catch up, you do it on your own time and your own dime. 

So yeah, you can’t buy job security like that. It’s why competition for these jobs is so stiff, even at community colleges that don’t pay that well (comparatively). It’s why people work part time for years and wait to start their careers and put off adult things like buying homes and having children. It keeps the job prestigious and worthwhile. 

I definitely wouldn’t volunteer to spend 16 hours a week with 18-19-year-olds and spend the rest of my work week reading their garbled “insights” on topics they don’t fully understand without it. 

Having said all that, it definitely gets abused. I know of more than a few who are close to retirement and phoning it in. I’d like to see a system that requires you to stay current in order to keep your job - you’re still tenured, you can’t be fired without a serious violation of your contract, but you have to demonstrate that you still give a shit.

I also wouldn’t object to a clause along the lines of causing public embarrassment to the college as a reason to deny/revoke tenure, but it would have to be carefully worded because I can definitely see it being abused. 

Great post! 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama