Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

the Portland A's?

2 minutes ago, crixus said:

Yes, they were the San Francisco Warriors and prior to that the Philadelphia Warriors. They've moved around a bit, but not as much as the Cardinals of the NFL. 

My dad went to see a couple of their games when they were in San Francisco before he turned more toward football and then baseball

13 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

If anyone moves, it's gotta be the Rays. They play in the 10th oldest ballpark in the league. Smallest capacity due to obstructions for viewing. The Reds won the World Series the year the Trop opened.

There's been chatter of them getting a new stadium in Ybor City, but Idk if it's gone beyond the talking stage. 

But I agree, they're definitely the more ripe team for moving. Florida is a horrible pro sports market. 

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't know if there is much space there though, Most of the plans the A's have talked about have included a shopping complex and other things like that connected to the stadium not just a stadium. that could be a stumbling block

That’s why Portland is in the news. The group has put in offers on two pieces of land. Plans include retail and 8000 units of apartments. 

The A’s might not be the team, but this Portland group is serious.

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s why Portland is in the news. The group has put in offers on two pieces of land. Plans include retail and 8000 units of apartments. 

I think it'll be an expansion team tbh. With the amount of revenue being reeled in as it is + huge expansion franchise fees, it's a no-brainer within the next five years IMO. With regards to current teams, the Rays situation is bleaker than the A's, but even they seem to be working toward something. 

On a side note, I referred to the Rays as the "Devil Rays" the other day to someone from Tampa and they had no idea what I was talking about. So, I'm all for that team going to Portland. 

18 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/03/28/oakland-athletics-stadium-site/

Looks like the article of PDX possibly getting a MLB team might cause Oakland to cave in and just sell all 120 acres of the coliseum land to the A's in exchange for retiring what is owed to both the Coliseum and Oracle Arena.  Just read into why the Atlanta Braves built Sun Trust ballpark and the Rockies signed a new 25-30 year lease in exchange for the parking lot across the street from Coors Field.  The Rockies are going to put in a new office building and rent payments from that building would help with Coors Field renovations.  I guess the days of sports owner getting taxpayer handouts are coming to a close.

I like the fact that both the Cubs and Dolphins paid for their stadium renovations themselves. Both team owners ended up putting in over $500M to their respective stadiums in the last few years. 

17 hours ago, Nickp1991 said:

would love to see Portland get an NL team then Charlotte or Nashville get an AL team

I would love to see an AL team head to Charlotte... then I'd have an AL team I had a reason to root for. 

On 4/17/2018 at 8:50 PM, Joe from WY said:

It's not the A's being relocated. It's part of the envisioned 2 team expansion. Montreal is getting one of them. The other is allegedly between Portland, Charlotte, and Mexico City. I'll find the link. 

EDIT: Here's the link, by Tracy Ringolsby.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/expansion-could-trigger-realignment-longer-postseason/#FMtEvVF47BTkTmTL.97

+++++ pretty much everything about that article other than adding two expansion teams. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I think it'll be an expansion team tbh. With the amount of revenue being reeled in as it is + huge expansion franchise fees, it's a no-brainer within the next five years IMO. With regards to current teams, the Rays situation is bleaker than the A's, but even they seem to be working toward something. 

On a side note, I referred to the Rays as the "Devil Rays" the other day to someone from Tampa and they had no idea what I was talking about. So, I'm all for that team going to Portland. 

Yep. I think an expansion team would be the most likely scenario as the choice to pair with a presumed franchise in Montreal. My guess is the seriousness of the Portland group will finally light a fire to get something done in Oakland (though I do believe the A's would be smart to consider Sacramento). They're saying the expansion fees could be upwards of a $1 billion per franchise. Tough to turn down that kind of a cash.

44 minutes ago, retrofade said:

+++++ pretty much everything about that article other than adding two expansion teams. 

It doesn't bother me too much, except I'm sure the DH would have to be adopted by all of baseball. Another issue would be as a Giants fan it would mean fewer games with the Dodgers. But I could live with that if it means Portland has a team and the Giants are playing 12 or 13 games a year in the Northwest.

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It doesn't bother me too much, except I'm sure the DH would have to be adopted by all of baseball. Another issue would be as a Giants fan it would mean fewer games with the Dodgers. But I could live with that if it means Portland has a team and the Giants are playing 12 or 13 games a year in the Northwest.

Eff the DH rule.  They should just abandon it.  So stupid to have some overweight azz clown on your roster purely because he can jack it to left center 30% of the time.  9 men play, 9 men bat!

As a Rockies fan I'd be pissed since all the proposed re-alignment throws them in with Texas and the Royals and we lose all rivalries we have with the Dodgers, D-backs and Padres.  Especially this year with the Padres!!!!

23 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It would also destroy the AL and NL, along with multiple secondary or tertiary rivalries. Past that... +++++ the DH. 

13 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Eff the DH rule.  They should just abandon it.  So stupid to have some overweight azz clown on your roster purely because he can jack it to left center 30% of the time.  9 men play, 9 men bat!

As a Rockies fan I'd be pissed since all the proposed re-alignment throws them in with Texas and the Royals and we lose all rivalries we have with the Dodgers, D-backs and Padres.  Especially this year with the Padres!!!!

Damn right +++++ the DH. 

11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It would also destroy the AL and NL, along with multiple secondary or tertiary rivalries. Past that... +++++ the DH. 

Damn right +++++ the DH. 

I don't worry about the secondary rivalries much. Better rivalries will be created. I feel that I don't hate the Angels as much as I could, for example. I also don't hate the A's at all, and I think that could be remedied a bit. Rivalries like Giants-A's and Dodgers-Angels will be more meaningful and played more often. And does anyone even remember that the Mariners exist? I live in the Northwest and hardly anyone talks about them. Seattle-Portland would be fantastic for a Western baseball fan. 

The NL/AL thing has sort of been diminished anyway with interleague play. They even share umpires now. The DH is the only difference. Don't get me wrong, I hate the DH. And would rather baseball ditch that shit. But they're not worried about attracting fans like me. 

Overall, it would take some getting used to, but I could live with the changes.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't worry about the secondary rivalries much. Better rivalries will be created. I feel that I don't hate the Angels as much as I could, for example. I also don't hate the A's at all, and I think that could be remedied a bit. Rivalries like Giants-A's and Dodgers-Angels will be more meaningful and played more often. And does anyone even remember that the Mariners exist? I live in the Northwest and hardly anyone talks about them. Seattle-Portland would be fantastic for a Western baseball fan. 

The NL/AL thing has sort of been diminished anyway with interleague play. They even share umpires now. The DH is the only difference. Don't get me wrong, I hate the DH. And would rather baseball ditch that shit. But they're not worried about attracting fans like me. 

I think it would be absolutely bizarre to have the Cubs/White Sox, Giants/A's, Yankees/Mets, and even Dodgers/Angels in divisions with each other. Something just doesn't seem right about that to me. 

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

I hate it. I really do. I think it makes the game less interesting. But you know, dingers and all. 

A handful of teams like the Rockies will be cast in with teams they have no real history with, which is definitely a downside to that kind of realignment. If it makes you feel any better, though, Giants fans will continue to have a quietly burning hatred for the Padres. So the torch will be carried!

And I have no doubt that Rockies fans will grow a healthy hatred toward Cardinals fans. "Oh really? You have the best fans in baseball, you fat +++++ who has only left Missouri once, when you took a wrong turn and ended up in East St. Louis? You don't say." Douchebags.

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I think it would be absolutely bizarre to have the Cubs/White Sox, Giants/A's, Yankees/Mets, and even Dodgers/Angels in divisions with each other. Something just doesn't seem right about that to me. 

It would be weird at first, no doubt. But when Houston switched leagues it created a real Houston-Texas rivalry, and it's been good for both franchises.

28 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

agreed, I also think playing 19 times against the other teams in your division is overkill

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Maybe target Tampa Bay? However if MLB is thinking of expansion again that is going to end up badly for them

The adjustment I would do with the scheduling is not to have as many interleague games and try to contain them to rivalries for those teams that have one.

SF/Oak; LA/Anaheim; KC/Stl; Bal/Was; NYY/NYM; TB/Mia; Chi/Chi; Minn/Mil and then if you don't have a rivalry there maybe just have west vs west, cent vs. cent and east vs. east. I think that would be easier on travel for the teams.

Have 3 home games and 3 away games and that is it. Other than that no interleague games.  

14 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The adjustment I would do with the scheduling is not to have as many interleague games and try to contain them to rivalries for those teams that have one.

SF/Oak; LA/Anaheim; KC/Stl; Bal/Was; NYY/NYM; TB/Mia; Chi/Chi; Minn/Mil and then if you don't have a rivalry there maybe just have west vs west, cent vs. cent and east vs. east. I think that would be easier on travel for the teams.

Have 3 home games and 3 away games and that is it. Other than that no interleague games.  

I honestly like the occasional interleague series where a SF plays Boston or LA plays the Yankees.  I say drop SF playing Colorado 19 times down to 10 and have more games against teams that don't see each other that much