Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

the Portland A's?

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Canzaro is an idiot and has been for some time. There's not a chance in hell they move the A's to Portland. Oakland isn't going to lose it's last major league franchise. Hence the "In this sportswriters opinion..."

It'll be an expansion team if it happens. 

Canzano is a good dude. I’ve known him for a long time.

4 hours ago, abqdog said:

Portland couldn't support AAA baseball, what makes people think MLB would be any different?

Portland residents prefer Soccer over Baseball.

That’s sort of a myth. Portland is one of the larger one-team markets, it has supported the Blazers well over the years, and it’s growing fast. I’m not sure how well baseball will work, per say, but there is more to it than just saying Portland likes soccer. 

3 hours ago, JohnAdams said:

A’s pulling a Gonzaga to get Oakland to pony up for a new stadium 

They’ve been doing that for years. Usually with Sacramento or San Jose though.

Portland chose soccer over AAA baseball so I don't see MLB putting a team in Portland because of that. 

Every turn that Oakland has looked at has been shut down and I don't if they really know what to do at this point. They recently put an offer with Oakland about building on their current site but I don't think the County and city will turn that land over to the A's even if the A's offered to take the cities debt away. 

Honestly I don't know where they might turn to at this point but its not Portland

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Las Vegas AAA team has a new stadium under construction - add 20,000 seats and bring the A's to join the Raiders :rock:

It will be open for next season in Summerlin. They sent out a release tonight they are renaming the team as well and the will have a new affilation for next season.

Discussed this on the Pac12Board.  The state of Oregon already has $150 million in tax money that was already collected for this type of effort and today's new baseball stadiums are going to be the small and cozy types in urban areas.  Given the tax reform that makes it harder for teams to bilk the government for money for new stadiums, it's most likely going to be mostly privately funded which wouldn't be a problem with those Portlanders who have been smart to not give in to corporate welfare.

My understanding is that the old Portland Beavers couldn't find a suitable location for a new baseball stadium after being forced out in favor of the MLS Timbers and moved to Tucson.  It doesn't mean the support wasn't there along the way.

7 hours ago, NVGiant said:

They’ve been doing that for years. Usually with Sacramento or San Jose though.

^^ exactly.

I have been hearing that the A's were moving for as long as I can remember. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Portland chose soccer over AAA baseball so I don't see MLB putting a team in Portland because of that. 

Every turn that Oakland has looked at has been shut down and I don't if they really know what to do at this point. They recently put an offer with Oakland about building on their current site but I don't think the County and city will turn that land over to the A's even if the A's offered to take the cities debt away. 

Honestly I don't know where they might turn to at this point but its not Portland

I don’t know whether the A’s will move to Portland, but never underestimate the power of a stadium deal. Portland already has a funding mechanism to put public money toward a stadium and if this private group that is being talked about in the Oregonian is legit, the entire stadium would be funded. 

Portland has a long history of baseball as one of the original PCL cities. It lost its AAA team because of opposition to use public money to build a minor league stadium, not because there was no interest in baseball. The Hillsboro Hops, a Single A franchise that came after the Beavers moved to Tucson, do well with about 4,000 fans a game.

10 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Discussed this on the Pac12Board.  The state of Oregon already has $150 million in tax money that was already collected for this type of effort and today's new baseball stadiums are going to be the small and cozy types in urban areas.  Given the tax reform that makes it harder for teams to bilk the government for money for new stadiums, it's most likely going to be mostly privately funded which wouldn't be a problem with those Portlanders who have been smart to not give in to corporate welfare.

My understanding is that the old Portland Beavers couldn't find a suitable location for a new baseball stadium after being forced out in favor of the MLS Timbers and moved to Tucson.  It doesn't mean the support wasn't there along the way.

This post is spot on.

13 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Tampa and Miami don't really need to exist at this point.  Think about if you took the talent from those 2 teams and dispersed it amongst the rest of the league.  The quality of AAA baseball would higher and more enjoyable to watch. 

FIFY.

Those rosters are pretty much AAA right now.

15 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Canzaro is an idiot and has been for some time. There's not a chance in hell they move the A's to Portland. Oakland isn't going to lose it's last major league franchise. Hence the "In this sportswriters opinion..."

It'll be an expansion team if it happens. 

The Warriors are in Oakland. 

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I went to a sold out mlb game tonight. What the league needs is more two-way Japanese superstars.

He has been great for the Angels, but they ranked #7 in attendance behind the Yankees last year even without being a playoff team. But having the Sho will be a great way to gain all the Japanese fans, much like Yao Ming was for Houston. 

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

Not for long.

Are they moving across the bay? I hate seeing teams move....and the stadium politics that usually lead up to it is ugly. The Chargers move to LA has been a disaster with horrible attendance in LA and now they're trying to get SD fans back into the fold......not a good look. 

27 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

The Warriors are in Oakland. 

Chase Center is already going up on the SF waterfront. They're gone. 

20 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Are they moving across the bay? I hate seeing teams move....and the stadium politics that usually lead up to it is ugly. The Chargers move to LA has been a disaster with horrible attendance in LA and now they're trying to get SD fans back into the fold......not a good look. 

But there were never been Charger fans in LA. The Warriors have been the Bay Area’s only basketball team since they moved to California, and that won’t change moving to SF. 

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

But there were never been Charger fans in LA. The Warriors have been the Bay Area’s only basketball team since they moved to California, and that won’t change moving to SF. 

And the same people will be in the stands too. Really not a bad move or big deal imo. I mean yeah it sucks for Oakland but it is minimal impact for the Bay Area as a whole.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok