Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

UNM to reduce sponsored sports?

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

And compete for NCAA championships? How's that work?

I didn't say that. How many schools really get the athletes needed to win a title? Not a lot. We don't expect to ever win a national championship in FB or BB, either. But to be competitive, how much does it really cost to carpool to the nearby slopes to practice with a ski pass? Not too much. Travel is travel. Drive a few ski vans around the west and stay in Motel 6. 

kat.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I didn't say that. How many schools really get the athletes needed to win a title? Not a lot. We don't expect to ever win a national championship in FB or BB, either. But to be competitive, how much does it really cost to carpool to the nearby slopes to practice with a ski pass? Not too much. Travel is travel. Drive a few ski vans around the west and stay in Motel 6. 

You're talking apples and oranges. A club team wouldn't be invited or allowed to compete in the a D1 sanctioned event. I'm not saying that skiing shouldn't be axed at UNM, just saying your rationale make no sense. Hell, almost every sport on campus could be reduced to "club" status.

I wonder why UNM sponsored so many sports to begin with. Is lacrosse still a Lobo club sport? I played in a two day tournament there in 1979 or 80 when I was playing at Colorado.

UNM will cut baseball just I time for BSU to step in to take its place. The only men’s team left at UNM will be football and basketball. Soon, we may be the only school in the country that will have more women’s teams than men’s teams... 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

6 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM will cut baseball just I time for BSU to step in to take its place. The only men’s team left at UNM will be football and basketball. Soon, we may be the only school in the country that will have more women’s teams than men’s teams... 

You have to have 6 men's sports to compete at D1, I believe every school in the MW has more women's team than mens.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

You're talking apples and oranges. A club team wouldn't be invited or allowed to compete in the a D1 sanctioned event. I'm not saying that skiing shouldn't be axed at UNM, just saying your rationale make no sense. Hell, almost every sport on campus could be reduced to "club" status.

I wonder why UNM sponsored so many sports to begin with. Is lacrosse still a Lobo club sport? I played in a two day tournament there in 1979 or 80 when I was playing at Colorado.

I question if it won't be too long before a lot of universities have to cut a lot of programs and most sports will be club sports.  The financial situation for a lot of states isn't great and they continue to cut university funding.

Schools might make more sports club sports and only leave the big ones like football, basketball, volleyball, etc.  With the rising cost of tuition it really isn't right to keep burdening students with more and more athletic fees either.  Either sports might be dropped or boosters for a specific sport might have to step up. 

10 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I question if it won't be too long before a lot of universities have to cut a lot of programs and most sports will be club sports.  The financial situation for a lot of states isn't great and they continue to cut university funding.

Schools might make more sports club sports and only leave the big ones like football, basketball, volleyball, etc.  With the rising cost of tuition it really isn't right to keep burdening students with more and more athletic fees either.  Either sports might be dropped or boosters for a specific sport might have to step up. 

ala carte boosters/funding, for ala carte sports teams... you may be onto something!?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

ala carte boosters/funding, for ala carte sports teams... you may be onto something!?

It's the reason NV kept its baseball team and cut its top 25 men's track & field program when title 9 became a thing. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 4/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Lol at UNM having ski teams.

For that matter, lol at SDSU having exactly twice as many women's teams as men's teams. California is pathetically pussy whipped.

Hardly.  Apparently you aren’t familiar with the CalNOW consent decree signed by the Cal State system in the 1980’s.   Led by coaches like Margie Wright ( a complete bitch), the California NOW organization sued the Cal State system over Title IX.   (Apparently, they were too big pussies to go after the UC system).  

Anyway the settlement required all Cal State schools to have varsity athletes in proportion to their ratio of men and women’s students.   So if you have 60% female students, you must have 60% female athletes.   Btw, beach volleyball is one of the last sports you want to cut because each athlete already plays indoor volleyball and is already on scholarship.  

On 4/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, jdgaucho said:

UCSB has 10 men's sports, 9 women's.  Of course not having football is a factor.  No women's golf or beach volleyball.

USD is 8-9, albeit football is "non-scholarship."  UCSD is 12-11.

Neither the UC System or USD were sued by Cal Now. 

19 hours ago, Lobonado said:

It's a shame that we can't cut women's soccer, softball, or volleyball. All of those programs are horrible at UNM. Title IX baby. 

The sports that should be cut are those sports that can’t generate 2 x the participants per scholarship.   Volleyball/Beach Volleyball aren’t bad because the same athletes play each sport making the scholarship cost .5.   Softball is bad because the ratio of participants to scholarships is almost 1 to 1.    

Minor sports are only bad if you have to pay the athletes to play.   Every non revenue sport should be ranked by athletes per scholarship and cut starting at the top. 

On 4/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, jdgaucho said:

UCSB has 10 men's sports, 9 women's.  Of course not having football is a factor.  No women's golf or beach volleyball.

USD is 8-9, albeit football is "non-scholarship."  UCSD is 12-11.

Cal has 13 men's sports and 15 women's. Fielding a whopping total of 28 teams is the main explanation for why Cal athletics is perpetually in the red despite raking in megabucks as a member of the Pac-12.

And to repeat . . . men's sports at all of the CSU campuses aren't just burdened by Title IX but also by the dreaded (unless you're a woman) Cal-NOW settlement.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Why is CSU subject to Cal-NOW and UC exempt? I'd never heard that before...i honestly had no idea. That's +++++ing ridiculous. I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale. 

Honestly, Fresno, the 2 Cal Polys, SDSU, should just breakaway from the CSU system. It's a bloated disaster run by assholes and beaten like an unwanted mutt in the statehouse. 

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Why is CSU subject to Cal-NOW and UC exempt? I'd never heard that before...i honestly had no idea. That's +++++ing ridiculous. I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale. 

Because Cal NOW sued the Cal State system.  They didn’t have the courage to sue the UC system.   Like everything in the US the system is rigged. 

15 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Colorado is slowly becoming East California...once they open the new In N Outs here in Colorado, the Californization of Colorado will be pretty much complete.

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

Colorado is slowly becoming East California...once they open the new In N Outs here in Colorado, the Californization of Colorado will be pretty much complete.

It's lame compared to Wyoming and Montana certainly, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not quite California-lame...yet. Almost though. It's getting there. The traffic on 25 could fool me sometimes.

21 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Although the UC system didn't, the CSU board of trustees immediately caved to the National Orgasm for Women.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:51 PM, LoboMan59 said:

UNM already has more women's teams than men's teams.  There are currently 11 women's and 9 men's teams.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

On 4/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, boisewitha-s said:

Every men's soccer team in the country should be cut. It's a okay girls sport though.