Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

UNM to reduce sponsored sports?

Alabama sponsors 21 varsity sports with their gazillion dollar budget. UNM...? 22. By far the most sports in the MWC. I'm not fan of dropping soccer but girls beach volleyball? And even though we have a a national championship in skiing, i can see that going away too. They already tried to axe that last year. We're a pretty consistent top 25 soccer team and made it to the national championship a few years ago. I'd like to keep that one. 

During that meeting this morning, there were several soccer alumni and coaches  that testified on behalf of keeping one of UNM’s most successful programs… But they’ll probably kill men’s soccer as well. Players and coaches are looking to bail ASAP unfortunately.

The new AD hasn’t even talked to coach Fishbein...You know, the coach that took UNM to 2 national finals in men’s soccer’s!?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Kinda wish the BW could take the Lobos as an affiliate.  It would reduce their travel costs - perhaps enough to save their program - and provide the conference with an RPI boost.

They typically draw well.  I'd figure UNM men's soccer would be one of the few who break even or turn a small profit.

38 minutes ago, denali said:

Alabama sponsors 21 varsity sports with their gazillion dollar budget. UNM...? 22. By far the most sports in the MWC. I'm not fan of dropping soccer but girls beach volleyball? And even though we have a a national championship in skiing, i can see that going away too. They already tried to axe that last year. We're a pretty consistent top 25 soccer team and made it to the national championship a few years ago. I'd like to keep that one. 

Fresno has 20, 8 men 12 women.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/unm-athletics-facing-extremely-tough-decisions-to-balance-expected-million/article_935b615c-f861-582c-bfe4-0f00519ebd75.html

The rumor mill has been in full swing on radio talk shows and social media. The easy targets are the men’s and women’s skiing programs, which were axed last year but resurrected after an ambitious plan to save them was spearheaded by boosters and student-athletes.

Other sports suggested to be cut by fans have included indoor and outdoor track and field, beach volleyball, women’s swimming, golf, softball, tennis and men’s soccer.

I notice San Jose doesn't have a men's track and field team, so UNM wouldn't be alone there.  cutting softball would be tough because of the Title IX advocates.

35 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Neither does SDSU.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

37 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/unm-athletics-facing-extremely-tough-decisions-to-balance-expected-million/article_935b615c-f861-582c-bfe4-0f00519ebd75.html

The rumor mill has been in full swing on radio talk shows and social media. The easy targets are the men’s and women’s skiing programs, which were axed last year but resurrected after an ambitious plan to save them was spearheaded by boosters and student-athletes.

Other sports suggested to be cut by fans have included indoor and outdoor track and field, beach volleyball, women’s swimming, golf, softball, tennis and men’s soccer.

I notice San Jose doesn't have a men's track and field team, so UNM wouldn't be alone there.  cutting softball would be tough because of the Title IX advocates.

We should invent a new sport; Competitive Diversity Administration.  It would be fully staffed by all schools and impervious to funding cuts.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

14 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Skiing probably should be club sport level anyway. But it would be a real bummer to see them lose track or soccer.

Any thoughts that this is a cry for boosters to pony up, or is it beyond that?

The Regents voted on it today, so i would say it is beyond that.  This has been building for awhile.  New AD and president will earn their paychecks as tough decisions are coming.  

2 hours ago, 307dude said:

New Mexico is was the only MWC school to field a team in every sport the conference sponsors.

Lol at UNM having ski teams.

For that matter, lol at SDSU having exactly twice as many women's teams as men's teams. California is pathetically pussy whipped.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

john_carlos_olympics_ap_img.jpg

What a shame.  John Carlos & Tommie Smith were only two of many GREAT Spartan track stars back-in-the-day!!!