BSUTOP25

Tell about your upcoming trips/vacations

End of September the wife and I are going to Spain. We'll fly into Barcelona (got a screaming deal, $450 round RT, BTW). Spend a few days there, visit The Alhambra, make our way to Sevilla. Spend a few days on the beach in Cadiz. Book a day trip to Tangier for the hell of it. Most of our time will be spent in southern Spain. Very open to recommendations on what to eat/see/do. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, UNLV2001 said:

please don't OUI OUI in the lake 

fyi, Frenchman is an agricultural reservoir. Power Boats are  on it. Not for drinking water.

• Like 1

Key West in a couple weeks. Bogota next month. Provence later in the summer. 

37 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

End of September the wife and I are going to Spain. We'll fly into Barcelona (got a screaming deal, $450 round RT, BTW). Spend a few days there, visit The Alhambra, make our way to Sevilla. Spend a few days on the beach in Cadiz. Book a day trip to Tangier for the hell of it. Most of our time will be spent in southern Spain. Very open to recommendations on what to eat/see/do. 

Tangier is +++++ing wild. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Tangier is +++++ing wild. 

How so?

6 hours ago, tspoke said:

I also head back to the ranch every year to brand(not as far for me) so thought I would jump in. We still use irons in a fire with a setup similar to this.

cattle-branding-iron-heater_227473.jpg

You don't have to hold the iron for 30 seconds. maybe 10-15 seconds for each iron you use(our brand has 3 different irons with the straight line being used twice). We hold the calves down in two men teams with one on the head and one holding the feet. Other people use horse and riders to rope the calves and hold them down and others use chute and a table to hold them. We usually have them on the ground anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes depending how fast we get everything the calf needs gets done(branding, castration if needed and vaccinations)

It is always interesting to bring people to experience it. My wifes family comes out every year and we have been bringing a growing group of friends up every time. It is a pretty unique experience for most people.

And in case this turns into an ethics of branding discussion, I admit I am conflicted by it. I wish there was a better way that was cost effective.  I don't take a lot of enjoyment out of branding the calves(but the weekend as a whole is fun) but when you are there you notice that the calves are tough and don't suffer any lasting pain from it. They are running around seconds after being let up. Branding is the standard practice at all the nearby sale rings and I don't think you are allowed to sell without them(I could be wrong about that).

We used ear tags. I don't remember the auction folks having an issue.  We did it because it was faster. I have no problem with branding.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

See a Barcelona game at the camp nou when Messi is playing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

How so?

Nobody asks any questions and you can buy anything. Hash bars. Nice people. Great food. Smugglers' Bazaar ambiance. Etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tspoke said:

I also head back to the ranch every year to brand(not as far for me) so thought I would jump in. We still use irons in a fire with a setup similar to this.

cattle-branding-iron-heater_227473.jpg

You don't have to hold the iron for 30 seconds. maybe 10-15 seconds for each iron you use(our brand has 3 different irons with the straight line being used twice). We hold the calves down in two men teams with one on the head and one holding the feet. Other people use horse and riders to rope the calves and hold them down and others use chute and a table to hold them. We usually have them on the ground anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes depending how fast we get everything the calf needs gets done(branding, castration if needed and vaccinations)

It is always interesting to bring people to experience it. My wifes family comes out every year and we have been bringing a growing group of friends up every time. It is a pretty unique experience for most people.

And in case this turns into an ethics of branding discussion, I admit I am conflicted by it. I wish there was a better way that was cost effective.  I don't take a lot of enjoyment out of branding the calves(but the weekend as a whole is fun) but when you are there you notice that the calves are tough and don't suffer any lasting pain from it. They are running around seconds after being let up. Branding is the standard practice at all the nearby sale rings and I don't think you are allowed to sell without them(I could be wrong about that).

You deserve the Hank Hill seal of approval.

See the source image

On 4/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, madmartigan said:

While you're in Barcelona you should participate in a Catalonia separatist movement protest. Think of the stories you'll have to tell your Grandchildren. :pitchforks:

*When I went to Spain a few years ago I stayed in Malaga which was awesome. From there I went to Melilla which is in Spanish North Africa, next to Morocco. The old Spanish fort there is great, as is the rest of the city. And you can walk over into Morocco if you want. I did. The beach in Melilla is really nice too. Spanish food rocks!

See the source image    See the source image

Old Spanish Fort in Melilla.

Ptc6yVc1rnprNla7D8jPOC3TBiIdkl1DHYzLyZJS0NIqZXPdDr42AKJisQ1VOkrf9gFijQAqmKeeGkJSVaGlUoG447vVbG8iAtKwU0O-uIlaDV0PWDO8PP6pF21SppMGwLeTHq9So7r1FziBYQ79fYxJGMECZptNXPIzbyVK0TJE2AsWWEKB7gJHnD-y6gz0A6DtyzKxfzxo37TaMgjSjhu0oNPFG4fKmmZZz2WjeIf2Vsc9YJeclfD7jpQ4n2Uj2giUmbC7_g7R-Kty_BlG9qPCR-g3ANU2U2lphH365keTKi5_Y7Qu4mbZvafU_yq5GC8C_epGijgo7PQhDnLWNVhphmvcQTUOx4nLcRBbPd2Ua9QvuTf6nGMB3y5JerVTXXz8AC7p2PJCvNXxMdDZVu9h1kMCGCvsKj0vYA9eX-PKx1ADTnkW6Vr2EW03Xx_jHyQJ_iehjALUexmdMMZrD8wMwd8-Sh4JB4M8MbI4XM6f3bYRIjqSl8T_zFRSheqsl_OxMngBD_8JnJvvX-SljaGHiSwJ4xGt-cpVjDFLZ6E-5Mvi3H8sDq5OjK2fh0sOUxlbDoeiBThKY9jcA7PpFw5JErUtgh8cSVs9FVHs=w903-h677-no

11 hours ago, renoskier said:

I've never given cattle branding a thought until you mentioned this. I'm was a little surprised that it's still necessary in this day and age, thought it had probably been replaced with new technology.  Read this good little piece about why it's still the preferred method for identifying cattle:

https://beefrunner.com/2012/06/13/why-are-cattle-branded/

Do you use the hot iron or freeze method? I'm surprised that it says with the "freeze" method that you have to hold the iron in place for about 30 seconds; that seems like it would be kinda hard to do. Does a hot iron need to be held in place that long?

Like the majority of beef cattle ranchers we hot iron brand.  Although freeze branding is slowly growing in popularity and is generally regarded as more humane.  Freeze branding is more common with horses, dairy producers, purbred cattle ranches and on smaller ranches with fewer animals as it's a slower way to brand with multiple steps.  In order to freeze brand you really need to load the animal in a squeeze chute to hold them still as opposed to two wrestlers holding them down on the ground as is common with hot iron branding of calves.  Also, to freeze brand you need to use electric clippers to remove much of the hair from the area where the brand is to be applied to facilitate better metal to skin contact.  With freeze braninding the area also needs to be wetted with alcohol and the copper or bronze irons to be highly cooled with a dry ice and alcohol mix or with liquid nitrogen.

Presently, branding and inner ear tattooing are the only surefire way to permanently mark an animal as to ownership.  Ear tags can be lost as the animals move about or removed by cattle rustlers which to this day is more common than one might imagine.  If it were not for branding and brand inspectors far more livestock would be stolen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Seville is a much better experience than Barcelona IMO. Re Barcelona, if you can book in advance, try and dine at Blavis and Orio Gastronomia Varca. Amazing food! Also, try to visit Montserrat if you can. Same advice to you @Posturedoc.

• Like 1