Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Tell about your upcoming trips/vacations

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Pretty easy to hike into once you get to the trail head.  Many of the lakes and ridges can be hiked to in a day.

Maybe not this summer but next. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

15 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Man, I don't envy you. You're going to be slogging it the whole way. What part of Connecticut? 

Yeah, it's not going to be fun at all. My sister-in-law runs a research lab at Yale, so we're headed to their place in Guilford. 

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Maybe not this summer but next. 

Make sure you have good tires and a chainsaw.  Temperature can change drastically up there as well, I have woken up to icicles in my tent that formed from my breath in the morning and had to take my shirt off 4 hours later because it was too hot.

13 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Hoping to go greek on my GF soon. I'll keep you all updated.

We want selfie vid of this. @mugtang will cash in big time on that. 

18 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yeah, it's not going to be fun at all. My sister-in-law runs a research lab at Yale, so we're headed to their place in Guilford. 

New Haven is a shithole ghetto but it's probably nicer over there by Guilford. Also, check out Plan B for a good burger. 

Edit: looks like they changed the name: http://www.burgersbeerbourbon.com/ 

Just took the family to San Diego, PA, and Las Vegas.  Next trip will be closer to home...  taking the camper and ATV’s to the Little Sahara sand dunes here in Utah in a few weeks.  It’s a family favorite that we try to do a couple times each year.

LittleSahara-1.jpg

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

New Haven is a shithole ghetto but it's probably nicer over there by Guilford. Also, check out Plan B for a good burger. 

Yeah... they live out in the middle of the country. It's this absurd eight bedroom house on a couple of acres out in the country, but it's still technically Guilford. 

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Haven’t booked anything yet besides flight/hotel...but bourbon street figures heavily into our plans. As does a cemetery tour. Also really looking forward to eating authentic Cajun food. It’ll be during the nba finals as well. This isn’t likely to happen but my dream scenario is that the pelicans are still playing. Bourbon street will be off the rails if that happens. My wife is into “haunted” stuff and there’s no shortage of that there. There’s also something called oyster fest happening which sounds incredible.

Should be a fun trip. 

My wife and I enjoyed the evening river cruise on the Natchez.  They had a live jazz band playing up front, and played When the Saints go Marching In as when arrived back to the French Quarter, got goose bumps when that played.  I strongly recommend skipping the dinner on the dinner cruise, for the money, you can get a better meal onshore.  Also, if you elect dinner, you will spend half the cruise in a dining room with no view to the river.  You can also go down in the engine room and see the paddle wheel propulsion system.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

The Wife! and I take multiple long weekend vacations each year, mostly during the warmer months. Upcoming will be wine tasting and bike riding (not together; tried that once and couldn’t enjoy the experience knowing half the cars passing us on the narrow roads were driven by tipsy tasters) somewhere in the Sierra foothills, most likely Amador County, staying in Sutter Creek, where the CA gold rush began. 

Amador_sign.jpg

wine_map.jpg

We’ll take several trips to the family cabin, which sits just off a lovely stretch of CA Hwy 49 a few miles from the Lakes Basin Recreation Area. We’ll cycle a lot, read a lot, hike a lot, fish a bit, cook/eat a lot and probably drink a lot too. Here’s a photo of the Sierra Buttes, one of our favorite hikes. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the area and scads of peaks to summit, if that’s your thing. It’s not epic wilderness backpacking like the John Muir Trail, but it is as picturesque an area as you’ll find in the northern Sierra and you can string together many trails if you want a few nights out under the starsl. We’re pretty much day hikers right now  

936466.jpg

Finally, the big trip this summer will be a 12 day Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona, hitting various ports in Italy, Greece, Malta and Croatia before returning to Barcelona. No cycling on this trip, but there will be lots and lots of eating, walking and relaxing. 

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

The Wife! and I take multiple long weekend vacations each year, mostly during the warmer months. Upcoming will be wine tasting and bike riding (not together; tried that once and couldn’t enjoy the experience knowing half the cars passing us on the narrow roads were driven by tipsy tasters) somewhere in the Sierra foothills, most likely Amador County, staying in Sutter Creek, where the CA gold rush began. 

Amador_sign.jpg

wine_map.jpg

We’ll take several trips to the family cabin, which sits just off a lovely stretch of CA Hwy 49 a few miles from the Lakes Basin Recreation Area. We’ll cycle a lot, read a lot, hike a lot, fish a bit, cook/eat a lot and probably drink a lot too. Here’s a photo of the Sierra Buttes, one of our favorite hikes. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the area and scads of peaks to summit, if that’s your thing. It’s not epic wilderness backpacking like the John Muir Trail, but it is as picturesque an area as you’ll find in the northern Sierra and you can string together many trails if you want a few nights out under the starsl. We’re pretty much day hikers right now  

936466.jpg

Finally, the big trip this summer will be a 12 day Mediterranean cruise starting in Barcelona, hitting various ports in Italy, Greece, Malta and Croatia before returning to Barcelona. No cycling on this trip, but there will be lots and lots of eating, walking and relaxing. 

While in Barcelona, check out the Mercado La Boqueria.