Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Tell about your upcoming trips/vacations

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I can't remember if I've asked you before but have you ever been up to the Bighorn Crags? That's a bucket list trip for me. 

If you go to the Crags, I would wait until August.  The mosquitoes there are positively evil.  They call them "snow hatch mosquitoes" or something similar.  As the snow recedes, new larvae are exposed and hatch.  Deet is just BBQ sauce to them.

1 hour ago, nomascows said:

If you go to the Crags, I would wait until August.  The mosquitoes there are positively evil.  They call them "snow hatch mosquitoes" or something similar.  As the snow recedes, new larvae are exposed and hatch.  Deet is just BBQ sauce to them.

Welcome Lake is mosquito hell.  Never seen anything like it, ever.  Ship Lake is pretty but the mosquitoes are pretty bad there as well but still not like Welcome Lake.  I would recommend the higher lakes.  I found the fishing to be better and the mosquitoes are not nearly as bad.  Terrace Lakes was my personal favorite.

August is a trade off.  The best weather, less bugs but the only time of the year it almost seems crowded.  By Frank Church standards that is, still pretty freaking big and empty even then. 

8 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

We are actually going to do two trips, just a week in November in the north to visit her family, then again in February in the south for a few weeks for us to explore :)

Spent a week on both islands. Beautiful place. 

10 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Hey Billings, how you been?

Have a good trip.

just learned to be semi-literate in japanese and kid takes permanent transfer to taiwan.  chinese kicking my butt to learn. 😜

8 minutes ago, Billings said:

just learned to be semi-literate in japanese and kid takes permanent transfer to taiwan.  chinese kicking my butt to learn. 😜

Japanese is phonetic.  (I know they use non phonetic kanji too)

My brother always says Japanese is similar to a Romance language, Chinese is like English.  In structure.

Recently got back from South Korea to visit my brother (and meet new sister in law) before he comes back. He's in the army and will be in Colorado Springs starting in May.

In June we'll spend a little over a week in Berlin with a 24 hour layover in Amsterdam on both ends of the journey. Very excited for that one.

I want to go someplace green this Summer, so I'm going to Ireland. And I hope to take the ferry boat to Wales and the train up to Northern Ireland if I have enough time.

enhance

10 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Recently got back from South Korea to visit my brother (and meet new sister in law) before he comes back. He's in the army and will be in Colorado Springs starting in May.

In June we'll spend a little over a week in Berlin with a 24 hour layover in Amsterdam on both ends of the journey. Very excited for that one.

If you're a beer drinker, trust me when I say it's a must for you to try this while in Amsterdam:

texel.jpg

#nomillenialipabullshit 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Spring and summer are my busiest times of the year at work so my vacations almost all take place in the fall and winter although nothing planned yet.  I do go home to South Dakota every spring in mid-May for branding on my families ranch.  It's a chance to saddle up and ride, visit family and get reacquainted with our neighbors and my friends from high school.  Taking my gf home with me for the first time.  She's a city girl from Seattle and I've got a feeling that a cattle branding in rural South Dakota is going to be a major culture shock for her.  Should be interesting.

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Spring and summer are my busiest times of the year at work so my vacations almost all take place in the fall and winter although nothing planned yet.  I do go home to South Dakota every spring in mid-May for branding on my families ranch.  It's a chance to saddle up and ride, visit family and get reacquainted with our neighbors and my friends from high school.  Taking my gf home with me for the first time.  She's a city girl from Seattle and I've got a feeling that a cattle branding in rural South Dakota is going to be a major culture shock for her.  Should be interesting.

I've never given cattle branding a thought until you mentioned this. I'm was a little surprised that it's still necessary in this day and age, thought it had probably been replaced with new technology.  Read this good little piece about why it's still the preferred method for identifying cattle:

https://beefrunner.com/2012/06/13/why-are-cattle-branded/

Do you use the hot iron or freeze method? I'm surprised that it says with the "freeze" method that you have to hold the iron in place for about 30 seconds; that seems like it would be kinda hard to do. Does a hot iron need to be held in place that long?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I've never given cattle branding a thought until you mentioned this. I'm was a little surprised that it's still necessary in this day and age, thought it had probably been replaced with new technology.  Read this good little piece about why it's still the preferred method for identifying cattle:

https://beefrunner.com/2012/06/13/why-are-cattle-branded/

Do you use the hot iron or freeze method? I'm surprised that it says with the "freeze" method that you have to hold the iron in place for about 30 seconds; that seems like it would be kinda hard to do. Does a hot iron need to be held in place that long?

I also head back to the ranch every year to brand(not as far for me) so thought I would jump in. We still use irons in a fire with a setup similar to this.

cattle-branding-iron-heater_227473.jpg

You don't have to hold the iron for 30 seconds. maybe 10-15 seconds for each iron you use(our brand has 3 different irons with the straight line being used twice). We hold the calves down in two men teams with one on the head and one holding the feet. Other people use horse and riders to rope the calves and hold them down and others use chute and a table to hold them. We usually have them on the ground anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes depending how fast we get everything the calf needs gets done(branding, castration if needed and vaccinations)

It is always interesting to bring people to experience it. My wifes family comes out every year and we have been bringing a growing group of friends up every time. It is a pretty unique experience for most people.

And in case this turns into an ethics of branding discussion, I admit I am conflicted by it. I wish there was a better way that was cost effective.  I don't take a lot of enjoyment out of branding the calves(but the weekend as a whole is fun) but when you are there you notice that the calves are tough and don't suffer any lasting pain from it. They are running around seconds after being let up. Branding is the standard practice at all the nearby sale rings and I don't think you are allowed to sell without them(I could be wrong about that).

End of September the wife and I are going to Spain. We'll fly into Barcelona (got a screaming deal, $450 round RT, BTW). Spend a few days there, visit The Alhambra, make our way to Sevilla. Spend a few days on the beach in Cadiz. Book a day trip to Tangier for the hell of it. Most of our time will be spent in southern Spain. Very open to recommendations on what to eat/see/do. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.