Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackmormon

Trump lawyers file to review Cohen evidence before..

before the FBI gets a crack at it. And remove anything he believes to be privileged

Lawyers for President Donald Trump say they should be allowed to review the material seized by the Federal Bureau of Investigation last week from Mr. Trump’s longtime lawyer Michael Cohen before government investigators begin their own, according to a court filing late Sunday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-lawyers-make-plea-for-first-review-of-cohen-documents-1523846654

Yeah Donny, that's not really how this works. 

Something tells me that he yelled at his lawyers to do something, and this is about the only thing they could come up with. 

In other news, another attorney turned Trump down after he was asked to join the Trump legal team. This time it was Steven Molo, a former prosecutor who specializes in white collar criminal defense, and who amusingly actually faced off against Trump in 2008 while representing Deutsche Bank, after the now President tried to get out of paying $40 million of a construction loan that he had personally guaranteed. But hey, lawyers are calling Trump to try and get onto his legal team, right?

My crackhouse got raided last week and I just asked the judge (nicely) if I could remove the crack, money, and guns from evidence since I deemed it all “privileged.” He happily obliged and my crack business is still going strong. 

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

Something tells me that he yelled at his lawyers to do something, and this is about the only thing they could come up with. 

In other news, another attorney turned Trump down after he was asked to join the Trump legal team. This time it was Steven Molo, a former prosecutor who specializes in white collar criminal defense, and who amusingly actually faced off against Trump in 2008 while representing Deutsche Bank, after the now President tried to get out of paying $40 million of a construction loan that he had personally guaranteed. But hey, lawyers are calling Trump to try and get onto his legal team, right?

Trump seems to be getting more unhinged day by day. I wonder if that means anything?

PS. It looks like Maynard found the idiot button

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

Actually moron, that is probably how it will work.  The judge will want to make those decisions before the FBI looks at the stuff.

27 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Trump seems to be getting more unhinged day by day. I wonder if that means anything?

PS. It looks like Maynard found the idiot button

From my perch, Trump is the same Trump he was a year ago.  I'm surprised that you are surprised by his antics.

And regarding the idiot button, if you would quit screaming out to the high heavens, "pick me, pick me" posters would quit looking for it.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

29 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Actually moron, that is probably how it will work.  The judge will want to make those decisions before the FBI looks at the stuff.

So... you honestly believe that the judge is going to side with the Trump letter instead of the rule of law? 

How much are you willing to put on that?

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So... you honestly believe that the judge is going to side with the Trump letter instead of the rule of law? 

How much are you willing to put on that?

You have no understanding of the rule of law.

It is pretty common in a case where they are looking at confidential files that the Judge makes the decision on what is relevant and what isn't before the prosecutors get to see them.  That is the rule of law.  They won't get a free pass to go fishing through all the clients files.  They will have to show relevance to the investigation into the election manipulation.  They will have had to show on their search warrant cause to look at those specific records.

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

You have no understanding of the rule of law.

It is pretty common in a case where they are looking at confidential files that the Judge makes the decision on what is relevant and what isn't before the prosecutors get to see them.  That is the rule of law.  They won't get a free pass to go fishing through all the clients files.

A federal magistrate judge already signed off on it. A taint team is already separating out what is and isn't privileged. 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

A federal magistrate judge already signed off on it. A taint team is already separating out what is and isn't privileged. 

They signed off on the warrant.  Now they will argue what is covered by the warrant.

Trumps lawyer isn't some gang banger that will be using a public defender.

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

They signed off on the warrant.  Now they will argue what is covered by the warrant.

Trumps lawyer isn't some gang banger that will be using a public defender.

That's not what the Trump team wants though... they want the DOJ taint team to cease all review of the files so that they can go in and decide if anything is privileged. At least that's how it reads. 

30 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That's not what the Trump team wants though... they want the DOJ taint team to cease all review of the files so that they can go in and decide if anything is privileged. At least that's how it reads. 

Again that is a normal request in this situation and I would predict it will be granted.

If it isn't granted that should make you real happy because it would mean they have have a lot of evidence already.  It would be the first real clue that Trump or his family might be in trouble.  

U.S. prosecutors in Manhattan will get a vast array of data seized from three phones belonging to President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen by Wednesday, according to a filing from a retired judge reviewing materials taken by the FBI.

Barbara Jones, the special master reviewing the material, said in a letter to the judge overseeing the case that about 1 million items taken from the three phones haven’t been designated privileged or highly personal and subject to a final verification will be released to the government.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-29/cohen-prosecutors-to-get-seized-phone-data-by-wednesday?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=business&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

That’s a lot of information from three phones.

in related news, General Kelly and Trump’s impeachment lawyer were allowed to breifly sneak into the classified info briefing on SpyGate. Since when does defense counsel get to to view classified info relating to an ongoing investigation?

44 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

That’s a lot of information from three phones.

in related news, General Kelly and Trump’s impeachment lawyer were allowed to breifly sneak into the classified info briefing on SpyGate. Since when does defense counsel get to to view classified info relating to an ongoing investigation?

According to the White House they did not stay for the info briefing. They gave introductory remarks stressing the need for transparency.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say