Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Antarctic ice sheet growing in mass.

Well, let the global cooling doomsday theories start with politicians calling for massive taxation and regulation to save the doomed human race from itself.

On a serious note, this is dated 2015...  curious what more recent studies are showing.  I would also be interested to see any potential additive impact of some of the other things discussed here - e.g. the solar cycle thing and the earth becoming increasingly more “green”.  I know that doesn’t exist but could be interesting.

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

That seems positive.

Thanks.  I really did not want this to devolve into a debate about climate change.  Gross.  I was hoping some who are concerned with our effect on the planet would view this as good news like I do.  I think things like this, along with the recent paper published in Nature about the coming cooling of the climate, all point towards us as a species as having enough time to figure out our emissions problem.

As a conversationalist things like this are important to me.  However just because there are some positive outlooks coming out of the scientific community regarding global warming and climate change DOES NOT mean we should ignore our impact on the planet.  We might have some time being bought, lets not waste it.  

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Well, let the global cooling doomsday theories start with politicians calling for massive taxation and regulation to save the doomed human race from itself.

On a serious note, this is dated 2015...  curious what more recent studies are showing.  I would also be interested to see any potential additive impact of some of the other things discussed here - e.g. the solar cycle thing and the earth becoming increasingly more “green”.  I know that doesn’t exist but could be interesting.

The article was updated with the latest data less than a year ago. 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Thanks.  I really did not want this to devolve into a debate about climate change.  Gross.  I was hoping some who are concerned with our effect on the planet would view this as good news like I do.  I think things like this, along with the recent paper published in Nature about the coming cooling of the climate, all point towards us as a species as having enough time to figure out our emissions problem.

As a conversationalist things like this are important to me.  However just because there are some positive outlooks coming out of the scientific community regarding global warming and climate change DOES NOT mean we should ignore our impact on the planet.  We might have some time being bought, lets not waste it.  

I would be shocked if we didn't squander it.  We just increased the deficit in a time of economic strength and growth.

$$$$$$

Just now, toonkee said:

I would be shocked if we didn't squander it.  We just increased the deficit in a time of economic strength and growth.

$$$$$$

It is not the people on the hill who will figure this problem out.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Have you ever tried to contact the climate scientists to tell them about the solar cycle thing?  

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It is not the people on the hill who will figure this problem out.

The market will determine our fate like God intended.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

$$$$$$

I would be shocked if the advances we are making do not drive market forces in a direction you and I both hope for.  In 50 years He-3 reactors could be powering the world.  

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Have you ever tried to contact the climate scientists to tell them about the solar cycle thing?  

Hey bro, I know you think that is a cute and clever response but uhmmm, the latest research on the matter kind if agrees with him.  A paper published in Nature (not linking as it is paid so I found the free article below) wowed the greater scientific community and it is now a nearly scientific consensus that the earth will begin cooling at the solar minimum. 

https://academic.oup.com/astrogeo/article/58/2/2.17/3074082

Along with reducing pollution, one other positive from all the global warming hysteria is the growth of alternative energy which has increased innovation and reduced dependency on fossil fuels from the Middle +++++edup East. I’ve always maintained that there is climate change but have been skeptical of the Al Gore doomsday predictions ... but as mentioned, some good things have come out of it.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

The earth will cool soon, this is not really up for debate anymore https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092955.htm

However that does not diminish the effects we humans are having on the planet.  Just buys us some time for the free market and capitalism to drive us towards better options.

31 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The market will determine our fate like God intended.

Presuming God intends such things, or intends anything at all. Either way, our best hope lies in the collective need for individual innovation, rather than the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

Yes, I sent several emails to the “climate scientists”.  I tagged them on Facebook and Instagram too.  I’ll send them a tweet this afternoon.

v0icAvfW.jpg