Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

UNR Med School Receives Scathing Audit

What the hell is happening?  UNr Medical School involved in Medicare/Medicaid fraud. 

"it is pretty easy to see why this has been kept under lock and key for two years. The audit uncovered incompetence on a massive scale, and quite possibly, fraudulent billing that continued for years within the University of Nevada's medical school practice."

A professor at the medical school rides his bicycle into a bus. The family sued the bus company and was awarded $19 million now it's reported that he was notified the day before that he was being canned.  So now it looks like suicide.  If I'm the bus company I would be looking at the NSHE for hiding that bit of information that could have been useful in court.

All this shyt has been known by the BOR and yet no one spoke about it.  In the meantime down in Vegas someone farts at UNLV and the BOR is calling for an investigation.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/apr/17/continuing-chaos-at-nshe-should-lead-to-higher-edu/

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/i-team-audit-of-unrs-school-of-medicine-hidden-from-public/1120792170

54 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

What the hell is happening?  UNr Medical School involved in Medicare/Medicaid fraud. 

"it is pretty easy to see why this has been kept under lock and key for two years. The audit uncovered incompetence on a massive scale, and quite possibly, fraudulent billing that continued for years within the University of Nevada's medical school practice."

A professor at the medical school rides his bicycle into a bus. The family sued the bus company and was awarded $19 million now it's reported that he was notified the day before that he was being canned.  So now it looks like suicide.  If I'm the bus company I would be looking at the NSHE for hiding that bit of information that could have been useful in court.

All this shyt has been known by the BOR and yet no one spoke about it.  In the meantime down in Vegas someone farts at UNLV and the BOR is calling for an investigation.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/apr/17/continuing-chaos-at-nshe-should-lead-to-higher-edu/

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/i-team-audit-of-unrs-school-of-medicine-hidden-from-public/1120792170

FYI I merged your post with the one in the OT forum on this subject. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Shutter the disaster and move it to UNLV - :pitchforks:

I wouldn’t be shocked if we lost the medical school over this. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

First of all, that report shows blatant misunderstanding of how billing for medical services is done in a hospital/large group practice and in a very sensationalized fashion. Show me a doctor who does his own coding and billing and I show you a doctor that doesn't have any patients. There definitely is gross mismanagement it seems and maybe Medicare fraud in the administration of the practice. Private physicians have no influence on the charges for hospital equipment not used, the number duplicate procedures charged and the majority of other items charged by that reporter. A surgeon generally has to get prior authorization for a procedure with specific acceptable diagnotic code and supporting documents, CT/ultrasounds. He/she performs the surgery and hands the charge slip to his biller who may or not be a certified coder/biller. That person puts in the CPT code and documentation and modifiers and never sees the charge slip again. If the process isn't perfect, the insurer or Medicaid/care refuses payment and you have to refile. It wouldn't surprise me if these duplicate charges weren't refiling as it happens regularly. Insurers won't pay for the same CPT code twice if the procedure was performed on the same day. Employed physicians especially have little if anything to do with the billing office as they generally get paid via a salary and possibly a percentage of the RVUs (relative value units established by Medicare. It's pretty hard to game the system as the TV report infers.

That said, the administrators of the medical school practice should be fired for incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me that after reviewing the audit, the practice underbilled and didn't collect a huge amount of money hence the 2 million dollar deficit. This really has nothing to do with the Med School in Reno but rather the faculty group practice in Vegas as much as the news reporter would like you to believe. The only major head scratching red flag for me, outside the billing incompetence, is the salaries of those top few surgeons are way, way, way higher than the average salary of surgeons, even neurosurgeons. I know what the general reimbursement averages are in Vegas and it shouldn't support those numbers.

33 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

First of all, that report shows blatant misunderstanding of how billing for medical services is done in a hospital/large group practice and in a very sensationalized fashion. Show me a doctor who does his own coding and billing and I show you a doctor that doesn't have any patients. There definitely is gross mismanagement it seems and maybe Medicare fraud in the administration of the practice. Private physicians have no influence on the charges for hospital equipment not used, the number duplicate procedures charged and the majority of other items charged by that reporter. A surgeon generally has to get prior authorization for a procedure with specific acceptable diagnotic code and supporting documents, CT/ultrasounds. He/she performs the surgery and hands the charge slip to his biller who may or not be a certified coder/biller. That person puts in the CPT code and documentation and modifiers and never sees the charge slip again. If the process isn't perfect, the insurer or Medicaid/care refuses payment and you have to refile. It wouldn't surprise me if these duplicate charges weren't refiling as it happens regularly. Insurers won't pay for the same CPT code twice if the procedure was performed on the same day. Employed physicians especially have little if anything to do with the billing office as they generally get paid via a salary and possibly a percentage of the RVUs (relative value units established by Medicare. It's pretty hard to game the system as the TV report infers.

That said, the administrators of the medical school practice should be fired for incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me that after reviewing the audit, the practice underbilled and didn't collect a huge amount of money hence the 2 million dollar deficit. This really has nothing to do with the Med School in Reno but rather the faculty group practice in Vegas as much as the news reporter would like you to believe. The only major head scratching red flag for me, outside the billing incompetence, is the salaries of those top few surgeons are way, way, way higher than the average salary of surgeons, even neurosurgeons. I know what the general reimbursement averages are in Vegas and it shouldn't support those numbers.

Any chance we can blame UNLV for this? :shrug:

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Any chance we can blame UNLV for this? :shrug:

Phucking audit hidden for two years with some damning accusations.  How do you hide a taxpayer funded audit?

Someone at reno needs to go to jail.  Shut that crooked Reno medical fraud school down.

Reading the article, it seems like both universities and the state governing body are in need of some reform.  Unfortunately, this kind of a clown show just gives ammunition to those politicians who seek to undermine and delegitimize the very notion of public higher education.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I think it’s written somewhere that you can always blame UNLV for anything. Obviously the underhanded fraudulent participants are from Vegas. 

Nice try.  However, the audit, at UNLV's request, was done well before any of the fellowships and residencies were transferred to UNLV.  Clearly UNr is going to take a hit for their incompetence.  

"Since UNLV was in the process of taking over UNR's practice plan, including its doctors and faculty members, it wanted a full accounting. UNR was bleeding money.  A 2015 email from then-Chancellor Dan Klaich indicated a $2 million loss in just the first quarter.

Klaich noted he was getting radically different stories about problems in the system, UNR telling one version and UNLV telling another.  UNLV pushed for a full audit, UNR pushed back. When the audit was finally finished, it confirmed many of the worst suspicions."

Hiding Medicare and Medicaid fraud from UNLV and the NSHE is one thing but, wait until the Federal Government gets involved.  I can't wait for that to get started.

First of all, there was no such thing as UNR medical school at the time. University of Nevada school of medicine has trained more Vegas based doctors than Reno based. The UNR v UNLV school thing is pushed by the reporter. The report conflates the death of the surgeon death with mismanagement of the UN group practice as if there is something more sinister behind the scenes (which may be true). There definitely will be a Medicare audit which occurs all the time. Again, except for the entity which signs the check, I haven’t seen anything linking the functions of the med school with the faculty group practice in Las Vegas. It wouldn’t surprise me if the faculty group practice in Reno were equally poorly run as institutional practice management is notoriously poorly managed universally. It’s early so there maybe more that comes. This affects UNR med from a functional perspective less so than UNLV med I would assume because these would be UNLV med’s clinical faculty. 

The only other embarrassing situation for the school that I know of was back in 95 the Engineering school lost its ABET accreditation for 6 months because a secretary forgot to send in the ABET renewal form with a check to pay the renewal fee. I was considering going up north to UNR for school, but most of my GE courses were done and I didn't want to go through a semester with not getting much done. 

However, I do know of quite a few embarrassing situations at UNLV. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Seems like just yesterday these same posters were bragging about hiring these faculty members?

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/unr-school-of-medicine-response-to-i-team-story/1125975434

Pretty much what I suspected. It was crack journalism or crap journalism. As I said before, gaming the system is not easy. If there is anything that insurance companies do well, it's not pay the doctor. Hopefully UNLV Med doesn't hire those surgeons for 1 million dollars each. I know a few who will take half that.