Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughrider

Bronco hoops loses good coach

Knew it wouldn't last and coach Phil Beckner (ala Lillard and who Hutchison gives major credit for his rise) is gone.  Some smart coach with bucks to spend offered him far more than Rice can pay him. 

One rumor is the new asst coach is Duryea but I haven't seen anything official.  Not sure if that's a red herring or not... 

Another step backwards it seems. 

32 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Knew it wouldn't last and coach Phil Beckner (ala Lillard and who Hutchison gives major credit for his rise) is gone.  Some smart coach with bucks to spend offered him far more than Rice can pay him. 

One rumor is the new asst coach is Duryea but I haven't seen anything official.  Not sure if that's a red herring or not... 

Another step backwards it seems. 

I’ve heard Duryea is headed to Boise as well. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

40 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I’ve heard Duryea is headed to Boise as well. 

Any clue what he really brings to the table?  Leon needs skill dev help (he never played hoops himself) and in game adjustment help.  Oh ya, defensive help. 

28 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Big, big loss. Maybe Rice can get Wojcik back. 

I wish. Best recruiter we ever had probably and one hard ass coach which 'nice guy' rosters need.  Too bad he's under the microscope for abuse at SJSU.  His career is probably in limbo at best. 

12 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Any clue what he really brings to the table?  Leon needs skill dev help (he never played hoops himself) and in game adjustment help.  Oh ya, defensive help. 

Not those things sadly. He’s a decent recruiter and a good assistant if Rice is a hard ass (good cop bad cop). Maybe I’m being overly critical. I think TD is a good assistant 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Not those things sadly. He’s a decent recruiter and a good assistant if Rice is a hard ass (good cop bad cop). Maybe I’m being overly critical. I think TD is a good assistant 

Rice isn't a hard ass he's an "awe shucks we didn't play very well, but we sure tried real hard" kind of guy. Our staff is getting worse.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

20 minutes ago, teappotts said:

Rice isn't a hard ass he's an "awe shucks we didn't play very well, but we sure tried real hard" kind of guy. Our staff is getting worse.

That's what I feared after watching Duryea this past season.  Two Opie Taylor's doesn't make for a winner.  We need Woj back if we want some toughness that's sorely needed.  Toughness is the single missing ingredient in teams that fail every March. 

.500 season coming right up. 

28 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Thanks. I guess.   It tells me Rice doesn't understand coaching dynamics at the psych level.  He lost Woj and we got soft for 2 seasons.  Then he hires Beckner (feisty) and we improve.  

Is he doing Duryea a favor, like the nice guy Rice is?   Or was he so impressed by USU kicking his ass last season?

19 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Thanks. I guess.   It tells me Rice doesn't understand coaching dynamics at the psych level.  He lost Woj and we got soft for 2 seasons.  Then he hires Beckner (feisty) and we improve.  

Is he doing Duryea a favor, like the nice guy Rice is?   Or was he so impressed by USU kicking his ass last season?

And in reality USU just won because we shot really well. Two good shooting nights. We weren’t the better team. 

30 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

And in reality USU just won because we shot really well. Two good shooting nights. We weren’t the better team. 

Sounds familiar. No wonder Rice likes him.  That's when Rice wins;  when his team can't miss from 3.  Which is rare in March.  

I'm thinking it's going to be a long season next year. 

43 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

I don’t know, Beckner didn’t seem to keep the team from going soft and falling flat to end the season when we had good talent and depth.   Maybe we need a change. 

Welp...he couldn't overcome the lack of talent on the bench but he helped individuals which was his gig.  The team takes the head man's personality in most sports. 

Beckner was a big selling point to recruits. He developed Lillard and Hutchison. Bereal was his next student and I’m sure Bereal won’t be happy hearing Beckner is leaving.

Regarding Duryea, I’m not a big fan of hiring him. His teams were generally unathletic and seemed to rely on the three like ours. He couldn’t recruit a decent big man just like us. In other words we got a Rice #2. Instead of Duryea we need a high energy take no prisoners type assistant. Having too many of the same personalities is not good for any organization. 

Now if Duryea coaxes McKewen and/or Merrill to come along I’m all for it. 

5 minutes ago, Jalex4141 said:

Can we lose Bereal or is he committed to Boise State?

He signed a LOI so if he does leave he has to sit out a year. This is one of those situations where a kid gets screwed if he is going to a school because of a specific coach. I’m not sure if that is the case here, but Beckner had a big role in recruiting him.